Transcoding Audio...Help

bnwbass2

bnwbass2

Hello all,

I have the streaming stick and Roku 3 players and both behave the same way here is my issue.
The players are connected via HDMI directly to my onkyo receiver which can decode all HD and dolby 5.1 formats. When I play movie collections from MB3C or MBT I get full HD and 5.1 audio so I know my movie containers have the correct audio streams embedded in the file.

When I try to play these using Roku players my onkyo PCM information shows the audio as 2 ch 48Hz. I have the Roku's set up to output surround in the settings.

I am using the latest Roku Beta channel and all movie file audio streams played on the Roku is sent to my receiver in 2 ch 48Hz.

I need to isolate the source of this problem. Is it MB3 related or Roku related?
How can I test the players to make sure they are sending the correct audio out to the receiver. Is there any test files from a private channel I can use to test the Roku devices.?

Thx
Bw

FrostByte

What bitrate to you have the MB Roku app set at for streaming?  If I recall the default is set pretty low.  I have mine set all the way up to 20 MBbs to get HD audio.  It needs to be set above the total bitrate of the file you're streaming and I rip most my blu-rays with HD somewhere below that as it's the max you can have it at.

bnwbass2

It is set at 20Mbbs during my testing and still no decoding is happening.  I have narrowed this down to the link between the MB3 and the Roku channel.  If I play movie files from other sources / channels on the Roku I am getting 5.1 decoding from the Roku media players to my receiver so the problem is not with the Roku players. What is transcoding the file that is being pulled from my MB3 collection?  I think this where the problem is.

Thx

bw

• 2 weeks later...

I will do another test and create a log file. 

In the mean time, can anyone confirm that they are  getting 5.1 decoding from the Roku media players to their receiver during playback using the MB Roku channel?  If so please report which codecs you have installed and the configuration.

I am using the latest Roku Beta channel and all movie file audio streams when played from MB3 classic on the PC are encoded correctly.

This is what I know for sure:

a)  The source movies files are not the problem.

B)  The Roku device is not the problem (since it sends my receiver AC3 bit streams when pulled from other Roku channels)

Thx

bw

the input is a vob file. once it has to transcode the audio will also transcode as there is no way to bitrstream ac3 within HLS.

my suggestion is read this roku forum because we've answered same kinds of questions already. Then just sit back and watch your movie knowing that we do everything we can to play it for you in the best way possible.

Then just sit back and watch your movie knowing that we do everything we can to play it for you in the best way possible.

I have watched the MB pipeline evolve over the last several years and you guys are doing a great job.  I have built numerous machine using MB.

The Roku app has lots of potential for expanding upon MB functionality however it obviously needs to work as well.  If others have the audio portion of the interface functioning as it should then the issues I am having are specific to my setup.  I have read the threads regarding Roku audio and there does not seem to be anything that addresses the problems I'm experiencing ( when file source is VOB)

If my log files is not revealing why I don't get AC3 then what is my next troubleshooting step.  From a high level, can you or someone from your team explain the transcoding process flow so that I can understand what should be happening when the audio is passed on to my AV Receiver.

tx

bw

Edited by bnwbass

• 2 weeks later...
Steve V.

I too am not getting ac3 surround sound when streaming from my WIndows 7 PC to my Roku 3 device...just stereo.  Like you, I can verify that the video files are definitely encoded with Digital Dolby Surround 5.1 and the Roku device plays other channels and other video direct from the USB port as 5.1 surround sound.

Very odd.

Deihmos

I was just using the Roku and had no issue with 5.1 audio. The roku can't do true Hd or DTS HD. You probably have the max bit rate too low.

Edited by Deihmos

• 3 weeks later...
dansblackcat

I'm also finding a lot of my movies aren't playing in 5.1, some do some don't.  I haven't had a good look yet but there's no consistency as to what does or doesn't play in surround sound.  Some MKV's play fine some don't, some AVI's play fine some don't.

I took an AVI that was only playing in 2 channel and remuxed it into an MKV.  It then played in 5.1 however there was no video.  Just the play icon and the progress bar were displayed, neither of which ever disappeared. (Note this movie as an mkv plays fine on the old 1.17 app)

I have my Roku 3 set to 20mbps.  Could it be a limitation of my wi-fi, would running an ethernet cable be a better option?

if you read through this thread, and also read through similar threads, you will see various explanations and chances are one or more of them will be applicable to your files.