Media Info Icons Default to First Audio Stream: Feature Request

Wilky13

Wilky13

Thanks for all the great work so far!

I've noticed that the media icons default to match the first audio track.  Not necessarily the best or default audio track.

For example.  The movie below the first audio track is 2-ch AAC, second audio track is 5.1 AC3 and the third audio track is 5.1 DTS and is also marked as the default audio track.

545c3fb488377_thepianist1.png

However, you can see in MBC the media info icons at the bottom right of the image below show 'AAC' and '2.0' from the 1st audio track instead of the default audio track.

545c3fc83d0c5_thepianist2.png

Request that MBC display ideally the "best" audio track in the icons.  So If you have 2.0 AAC, 5.1 AC3 and 5.1 DTS the 'DTS' and '5.1' icons would be present.  If your file only had 2.0 AAC and 5.1 AC3, then the 'DolbyDigital' and '5.1' icons would be present.  And if all you have is a 2.0 AAC then it will show 'AAC' and '2.0'.  (obviously if all you have is 5.1 AC3 it already shows 'DolbyDigital' and '5.1')

If it is not possible to display the "best" audio track (as I think that would be easiest to manage if you have a large collection and can't go back and retag all the 'default' audio tracks) then have MBC display icons for the track labeled as 'default' in the container rather than the 1st audio track as it is currently doing.

Since the default track is the one that is actually going to play, that is the one that makes sense to show.

Wilky13

Since the default track is the one that is actually going to play, that is the one that makes sense to show.

That makes sense to me. Will you implement this change in future versions of MBS/MBC to do this?

Wilky13

Awesome, thanks!

Now I just have to go through all my movies and correctly mark the default track....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

• 3 weeks later...
Wilky13

I just updated MBC and now all my files are displaying the default audio tracks info instead of the first tracks!!!

Thank you so much, you guys rock!!!

• 3 weeks later...
acsparky

What is the best way to change default audio tracks and is there a way to do this "wholesale"?

Also is it true that in mbc you can't make changes?

Edited by acsparky@gmail.com

You would need to use a tool to re-write the video file with the proper flags on the proper streams.  MakeMkv can do this.

Also is it true that in mbc you can't make changes?

Make changes to what?

Wilky13

Subler on a Mac is what I use to make the DTS or DD track the 'default' track vice the AAC track. You do this by placing a check mark next to which track you want to be default. I don't think there is a way to do it in batch, though.

Wilky13

You also edited your original question. Did you want to know about changing the audio track during playback?

It depends on what you are using for playback. If you are using MPC-HC or another external player like VLC there is usually a shortcut command. If you are just using Windows, if you have LAV filters it will automatically pick the 'highest quality' track (ie. 5.1 over 2.0, DTS over Stereo, etc).

acsparky

It depends on what you are using for playback. If you are using MPC-HC or another external player like VLC there is usually a shortcut command. If you are just using Windows, if you have LAV filters it will automatically pick the 'highest quality' track (ie. 5.1 over 2.0, DTS over Stereo, etc).

So the select highest quality is checked on LAV and I am still only getting stereo. I do have all the audio types selected in the audio section and my receiver is capable. What else am I missing.

Wilky13

Do I need to disable wmf codecs.

Yes, if the container is MP4. I don't think you have to if the container is MKV, though.

However, I found that disabling Media Foundation for MP4, while letting me use LAV and bitstream on the HTPC, severely cripples MP4 playback on extenders (like Xbox360). Therefore I have started using MPC-HC in MBC on the HTPC so I don't have to disable Media Foundation for MP4 anymore.

See this thread for more info: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11841-xbox-360-extender-playback-low-quality/page-3