Question about port forwarding

Scott750
Go to solution Solved by Scott750,

Scott750

I updated from beta v3.0.5416.0 to official release v3.0.5424.1 and now the Web client won't open up on my HTPC in Chrome using the external Web address. No issues before the update. I can open the Web client on my server using the local host address and MBC in WMC opens and plays movies fine.

Server Update log; https://www.dropbox.com/s/acdb3u4spgh3t22/server-update.log?dl=0

Server log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4jesnon1exibya/server-63551177434.txt?dl=0

Edited by Scott750

As I said in the other thread it looks to me like there is a global network problem on the server machine.  It is unable to resolve DNS which tells me maybe it can't talk on the outside network at all.

Scott750

Any suggestions for me to look at? Settings, etc? I haven't touched the router or computer network settings before or after the update.

I'm not sure.  Can you reach websites from a browser on that machine?  Can you ping us (mediabrowser.tv)?

Check your firewall and be sure it isn't blocking the server application.  Maybe the update threw it for a loop and the rules need to be re-setup.

• Solution
Scott750

I figured it out. I found in my Router Port forwarding settings that the IP address for my server was wrong. It had 192.168.1.4 but the servers address is 192.168.1.2. Not sure why the server address would changed after the update?  Weird! As soon I corrected that, I can now log into the web client using the external IP address again.  Thanks EBR for your suggestions!   :)

Edited by Scott750

Sometimes your router's dhcp server gets a new request from a computer or it decides to change the ip address of the machines connected to it, your router most likely has a section where you can statically set certain devices connected to it so that you don't have this issue o.O You might check it out.

Ironman273

Ok, I'm having a similar problem.  After an update I am unable to connect to my server from outside my house when I didn't have that problem before.  Both my external and internal IP have remained the same and I've never had to do port forwarding on my router.  It just worked.  What settings do I need to check?

Ironman273

Ugh.  Still on the same session as before and now can't access the external IP anymore.  I'm going to reboot again to see if it fixes it but could anyone tell me what could be causing it to drop off?

shaefurr

Are you using MB connect or just the external IP address? Has the address changed? Usually with DSL and such a modem reset or interruption to the ISP will give you a new external IP, which is why people use dynamic IP services like no-ip, or MB connect. http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Also, Did you ever set up the server with a static IP or assign it a set IP in the DHCP list? Helps to avoid these issues in the future in case of an IP change.

Ironman273

Are you using MB connect or just the external IP address? Has the address changed? Usually with DSL and such a modem reset or interruption to the ISP will give you a new external IP, which is why people use dynamic IP services like no-ip, or MB connect. http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Also, Did you ever set up the server with a static IP or assign it a set IP in the DHCP list? Helps to avoid these issues in the future in case of an IP change.

I have DHCP internally and I don't pay for a static IP externally.  My PC doesn't get turned off so it always retains the same IP without having to reserve it.  As for the external IP, I would expect interruptions if the IP had changed, but it hasn't.  I've had the same external IP for ages now.  So far the reboot has managed to keep it working.

• Like 1

Ironman273

After being up for a week the connection has gone back down again.  I can access it from inside the network with the internal IP but any access from the outside doesn't work.  I also tried setting up Media Browser Connect and it finds the server information with its internal and external IPs but it errors out when trying to connect.

DHCP has lease times and it makes sense to set a fixed reservation for your PC.

If you haven't already, you could also set an inbound port mapping on the router for the port your using to the IP.  Although MB uses UPNP, defining these things will help troubleshoot the problem.

Ironman273

DHCP has lease times and it makes sense to set a fixed reservation for your PC.

If you haven't already, you could also set an inbound port mapping on the router for the port your using to the IP.  Although MB uses UPNP, defining these things will help troubleshoot the problem.

If the PC never reboots it should keep the same IP, though, no?  I don't want to pay for static IP from my provider but I figured whenever I rebooted the router I'd check the IP and make all the necessary changes.  Actually, Media Browser Connect would make those changes much easier.

I haven't messed with the port mapping because I'm using my cable provider's router.

Beardyname

If the PC never reboots it should keep the same IP, though, no?  I don't want to pay for static IP from my provider but I figured whenever I rebooted the router I'd check the IP and make all the necessary changes.  Actually, Media Browser Connect would make those changes much easier.

I haven't messed with the port mapping because I'm using my cable provider's router.

I don't think so, while it "probably" will, setting the server on a static ip locally is really the best practice. If you don't want to you don't even have to fiddle around in the router, just change the ip adress on that specific machine. (port forwarding though needs to be done on the router, if upnp is not cutting it)

Ironman273

I don't think so, while it "probably" will, setting the server on a static ip locally is really the best practice. If you don't want to you don't even have to fiddle around in the router, just change the ip adress on that specific machine. (port forwarding though needs to be done on the router, if upnp is not cutting it)

Oh, locally my IP is static. It's to the outside that it's not.  That's why internally (from my Xbox One or if I have my tablet in the house) it works fine.  If I'm out of the house is when I can't access it.  Even then, I can access it for a while but then for some mysterious reason it will just stop working.

Beardyname

Oh, locally my IP is static. It's to the outside that it's not.  That's why internally (from my Xbox One or if I have my tablet in the house) it works fine.  If I'm out of the house is when I can't access it.  Even then, I can access it for a while but then for some mysterious reason it will just stop working.

Oh my bad, i thought we were talking locally ^^

Then my best guess would either be upnp not playing well with your router, or some other router specific thing.

there are some great guides over at : http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding If you are unsure about this sort of thing and ant to fiddle around with the ports :) (for testing ofc)

Ironman273

Oh my bad, i thought we were talking locally ^^

Then my best guess would either be upnp not playing well with your router, or some other router specific thing.

there are some great guides over at : http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding If you are unsure about this sort of thing and ant to fiddle around with the ports :) (for testing ofc)

Thanks!  I haven't messed with the modem/router since the cable company put their own but I'll see what I can do.

I though it was local also since the OP mentioned IP changing on the 192.168.1.0 network. My bad, sorry. Are you not running dynamic DNS? Helps if your external IP does change.

• Like 1

Ironman273

With MB Connect - you don't need a dynamic DNS service :).

I was just thinking that! (I'm new to the dynamic DNS thing, was actually just reading up on it).

The problem I have is that when I do MB Connect it comes up with the correct IPs (both internal and external show) but the connection never gets made.  If I remote into my computer and check its external IP it's correct, but I can't access it from outside my network, until I reboot.

Ironman273

reboot your PC or the modem/router?

Well, yeah.  That's what fixes the problem.  I'm just wondering why it fixes it for a week and then it stops working again.

• Like 1