Arch Linux

Luke

edthedoc

So... after much difficulty, and tweaking, I've got as far as building and installing this alongside a runeaudio setup on arch linux on raspberry pi... now I get instructions that to run the server I need to use the systemd service.... but I have no idea how???

Can anyone help?

thefirstofthe300

Are you building from source or using the AUR package. If you didn't install via the AUR, you will need to use a custom systemd service. If you used the AUR package, sudo systemctl start mediabrowser-serverxshould work.

Edited by DaBungalow

edthedoc

I followed the instructions on the downloads page, although I had to make some minor changes. Your suggestion systemctl start mediabrowser-server worked!! How do I get it to automatically restart after a reboot? Sorry I'm a bit of a NOOB. Quite pleased I've got as far as the web interface!

thefirstofthe300

It sounds like you should probably do some reading on the Arch wiki about systemd.

In answer to your immediate question, sudo systemctl enable mediabrowser-server should cause MediaBrowser to launch at boot.

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

No problem.

If you ever have trouble with Arch, be sue to check the wiki. Also, I would suggest that you read up on systemd on the wiki so that you understand how the Arch init system works (systemd is to Arch as services are to Windows). It will be a big help to you when you want to modify a service.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

I finally got around to fixing an issue that I had with a systemd check of the passwd and groups files failing. I managed to determine that problem seemed to be with the package I had built as it creates a separate user to run the server.

I would advise each of you that is using the Arch package to stop the server, delete the mediabrowser user (sudo userdel mediabrowser), and update to the latest version of whatever package you are using (stable or beta).

The revision number should be 5.  I am currently running my packaging script so please be patient.  I don't exactly have a lightning fast internet connection.

Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

Just realized that you will also have to uninstall the package before deleting the user and updating.  This quirk has to do with the way that I have setup the install file.

Edited by DaBungalow

• 1 month later...
thefirstofthe300

I just posted a package that will allow users to run a dev server. If you wish to help with alpha testing, go ahead and install.

You will need to update the package manually due to constraints with git packages and AUR helpers.

• 3 weeks later...
AlwinHummels

Tried to get it work on my Rpi2 but it gives me the message 

==> ERROR: Running makepkg as root is not allowed as it can cause permanent,

catastrophic damage to your system.

How can I fix this and get it work on my Pi?

thefirstofthe300

It sounds like you are running makepkg as root  ;).

After reading the wiki, it sounds like anybody with pacman 4.2 can't run makepkg as root, meaning that you will have to be a non-privileged user such as your own user account. You will then need to run sudo pacman -U mediabrowser-server-{PKGVERSION}.pkg.tar.xz to install the resulting package.

I believe these instructions are on the download page.

After reading the instructions on the download page, I see that they aren't specific about running makepkg as a normal user. @@Abobader, are you the one who I should ask to add this to the download instructions?

Also, it might be best to replace the {resulting-tar-xz-archive} with mediabrowser-server-<version number>-<package revision number>-<architecture>.pkg.tar.xz to avoid any confusion as to how the naming scheme for packages goes.

Edited by DaBungalow
  • Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Not me buddy.

Who should I be asking? bigjohn?

Being a bit new to the community, I am not sure who maintains the website.

Who should I be asking? bigjohn?

Being a bit new to the community, I am not sure who maintains the website.

John the one doing the web site.

@@bigjohn

Just tell him what you want for instructions. Instead of saying "might be best"....just spell it out exactly because he and I might not necessarily know arch linux as well as you do.

The less steps obviously the better, and the shorter the descriptions the better.

• Like 1

AlwinHummels

Tried all but with no luck I get a corrupted package on the old raspberry it works but slow and I don't get my nas shares mounted (SMB2).

My Linux skills are not so good so if someone can help me I'm very thankfull

thefirstofthe300

Tried all but with no luck I get a corrupted package on the old raspberry it works but slow and I don't get my nas shares mounted (SMB2).

My Linux skills are not so good so if someone can help me I'm very thankfull

If you can start a new topic detailing everything that you have tried and what errors you are getting, that would be very helpful.

• Like 1

AlwinHummels

If you can start a new topic detailing everything that you have tried and what errors you are getting, that would be very helpful.

Do it tomorrow

• 1 month later...
thefirstofthe300

Heads up guys. The new beta is up in the AUR under a new name: emby-server-beta. The stable version is still under mediabrowser-server but will also be changing when this beta goes stable.

The git package also has changed names to emby-server-git.

As soon as the next stable version is release, the mediabrowser-server packages will be getting deleted.

Some notes on this new package. Due to the fact that copying the program data to a new installation destroyed my library, I have decided to leave the old installation intact. I would imagine that if you backup your server BEFORE you upgrade using the backup plugin, you can restore the server after the upgrade and avoid the hassle of setting up the server again.

Things will probably be a little bit rough but if you encounter any problems, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

puithove

Decided to give this a try to see how it's going to go.  Word of warning, as it is now, this is not a smooth transition.  Apparently the database stores the absolute path to all the metadata files under /var/lib/mediabrowser-server.  If you want to rename/move that dir, you're in for a bit of fun.  I might recommend just leaving all the data where it is, and modify the /etc/conf.d/emby-server.conf to point to the old location - at least until a proper migration plan is worked out.

Here's what I did to experiment:

sudo rm -r /var/lib/emby-server
sudo mv /var/lib/mediabrowser-server /var/lib/emby-server
sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby-server

Which resulted in a whole bunch of this type of thing in the log (notice it referencing the old path):

2015-03-20 08:20:27.4892 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5557.0
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe
	Operating system: Unix 3.18.6.1
	Processor count: 12
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
	Mono: 3.10.0 (tarball Mon Oct  6 20:46:04 UTC 2014)
	Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
	unable to open image `/var/lib/mediabrowser-server/data/metadata/59/592a88ebd24ea415f12e8a5701e5acb9/thumb.jpg': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2674
	ImageMagickSharp.WandException
	  at ImageMagickSharp.WandCore`1[ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand].CheckErrorBool (Int32 status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand.OpenImage (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor+<ProcessImage>c__async1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[System.String].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService+<GetImageResult>c__async0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

2015-03-20 08:20:27.4892 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/Items/592a88ebd24ea415f12e8a5701e5acb9/Images/Thumb?maxWidth=518&tag=c63eeb24a24fa98e90ebc4eda211ebf9&enableImageEnhancers=true&quality=90
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe
	unable to open image `/var/lib/mediabrowser-server/data/metadata/59/592a88ebd24ea415f12e8a5701e5acb9/thumb.jpg': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2674
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

Did a full library rescan, and am currently running a full metadata & image replacement refresh.  Stuff is repopulating but...

This will be true for any of the other distros that might do the same rename/move of the data dir - not Arch specific.

Edited by puithove

thefirstofthe300

Decided to give this a try to see how it's going to go.  Word of warning, as it is now, this is not a smooth transition.  Apparently the database stores the absolute path to all the metadata files under /var/lib/mediabrowser-server.  If you want to rename/move that dir, you're in for a bit of fun.  I might recommend just leaving all the data where it is, and modify the /etc/conf.d/emby-server.conf to point to the old location - at least until a proper migration plan is worked out.

Here's what I did to experiment:

sudo rm -r /var/lib/emby-server
sudo mv /var/lib/mediabrowser-server /var/lib/emby-server
sudo chown -R emby:emby /var/lib/emby-server

Which resulted in a whole bunch of this type of thing in the log (notice it referencing the old path):

2015-03-20 08:20:27.4892 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	ImageMagickSharp.WandException
	  at ImageMagickSharp.WandCore`1[ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand].CheckErrorBool (Int32 status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand.OpenImage (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at ImageMagickSharp.MagickWand..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor+<ProcessImage>c__async1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[System.String].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService+<GetImageResult>c__async0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

2015-03-20 08:20:27.4892 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/Items/592a88ebd24ea415f12e8a5701e5acb9/Images/Thumb?maxWidth=518&tag=c63eeb24a24fa98e90ebc4eda211ebf9&enableImageEnhancers=true&quality=90
	*** Error Report ***
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

Did a full library rescan, and am currently running a full metadata & image replacement refresh.  Stuff is repopulating but...

This will be true for any of the other distros that might do the same rename/move of the data dir - not Arch specific.

Yeah. I couldn't figure out how to do this to make it relatively painless.

Has anyone tried a migration to the new data directory using the backup and restore plugin? 

@@Luke, what directories can be moved without causing the server to throw errors? It would be nice to not have to have systems installed before today using the old name for the data folder (mediabrowser-server). If I could move the database without errors in a way similar to what Sonarr did when they changed their name, that would be amazing.

post_install() {
    if grep -q "^sonarr" /etc/group &> /dev/null ; then
        groupmod -n sonarr sonarr &> /dev/null                                                 
    else
        groupadd -r sonarr &> /dev/null
    fi
    if grep -q "^sonarr:" /etc/passwd 2> /dev/null ; then
        usermod -s /bin/false -c "Sonarr daemon" -d /var/lib/sonarr -g sonarr sonarr &> /dev/null
    else
        useradd -s /bin/false -c "Sonarr daemon user" -d /var/lib/sonarr -g sonarr -r sonarr &> /dev/null
    fi

mkdir -p /var/lib/sonarr
    if [[ ! -f /var/lib/sonarr/config.xml ]]
    then
        if [[ -f /var/lib/nzbdrone/config.xml ]]
        then
            echo "A previous installation of nzbdrone has been detected. Copying previous configuration to Sonarr"
            cp -r /var/lib/nzbdrone/* /var/lib/sonarr
        fi
    fi
    chown -R sonarr: /var/lib/sonarr
}

puithove

I think the key to the problem is it would require updates to the records in the database.  It appears to store the absolute paths instead of relative paths based on the errors in the logs.  It's looking for files (ie: .jpg) for items at a certain path, which isn't there anymore.

Edited by puithove

thefirstofthe300

I think the key to the problem is it would require updates to the records in the database.  It appears to store the absolute paths instead of relative paths based on the errors in the logs.  It's looking for files (ie: .jpg) for items at a certain path, which isn't there anymore.

Darn.

@@Luke, why wouldn't the server use paths relative to the configured data directories? This would make database migration to other paths a heck of a lot easier.