[Anime Plugin] Integrating Absolute numbering

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I'm addressing my post to the Anime community & Developers. If you feel the same way or have experienced similar issues, please feel free to like my post and comment to help get this thread some attention. I'd greatly appreciate any input, in the hopes of putting Anime on the same footing as regular episodes in future versions. I believe when it comes to Absolute numbering, there is room for improvement.

I'm taking the time to write this detailed post, because I'm an avid Anime fan. I've been experiencing a few issues while using the Absolute numbering format and I thought it would be a good time to bring them up considering Luke's post: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/13206-contribute-to-the-new-file-naming-project/?p=148590

Current settings: As you know, you need to have Season 1 when using Absolute numbering format.  The file name looks like this: Anime - 1xAbsolute number - Episode name.

Issues

Problem #1: There seems to be a discrepancy with the way the episode is reported to Trakt, because of the file naming. For example, the episode will be named Dragon Ball Z - 1x165 - The Cell Games. It will report it as Season 1, Episode 165. There is no S01E165, because 165 is the absolute number, not the episode number. The correct report would need to be S05E26. As you can see, the correct Season and Episode number are already added within the Metadata Manager. This issue only happens if the Anime is split in seasons in TVDB.

Possible resolution: Is there a way to include this information without actually following the TVDB naming convention. Let's be honest, if you download a lot of anime, you will never follow TVDB naming convention, because it's not a reliable way to deal with Anime.

546947c42bfdf_Alternate_numbering.jpg

Problem #2: There seems to be confusion within MediaBrowser server when using Absolute numbering. For example, I will be watching Sailor Moon - 1x013 - Girls Unite: The End of Jadeite, but MBS will also add to my resume list Sailor Moon S - 1x013 - The Stolen Pure Heart. Usagi Is In Trouble. This issue only happens if the Anime has related series and they are all grouped up under one Title, each season corresponding to one related series in TVDB.

Possible resolution: Again, I think a better integration of Absolute numbering will solve this issue. Could Absolute numbering have it's own class? MBS seems to completely ignore the fact that they are their own series, in their own individual folder with a season 1 folder inside.

546951cdaefd1_Confusion.jpg

To conclude: I hope I've made my points clear. I don't know how to solve these issues without turning to TVDB naming convention. It seems a better integration of Absolute numbering, at least to set them apart from episodes, would be the way to go to make Anime more compatible with the way MBS and plugins work. Thank you for your time! 

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

There are a few issues which prevent this from working correctly at the moment.

The first is incomplete support for absolute episode numbers. When you place an episode inside a season folder, or give it a file name with a season number, is is only really sensible for MBS to assume season-relative episode numbers. It should however be possible to place episodes directly inside the series folder, without season folders, with absolute episode numbers. However, this does not currently work correctly. The files are found, parsed and identified (and metadata found), but they do not show up correctly in the logical view for the user. Also, I expect some of our clients are written with the assumption that episodes are always found inside seasons.

The second issue is that absolute episode numbers are not always consistent between databases such as AniDB (which a user using absolute anime episodes is most certainly following) and other sources such as Trakt and TVDB. This is especially true when it comes to specials and OVA releases, or how sequel/prequel series are handled.

I made an attempt to fix the second issue some time ago, but the current implementation is poor and incomplete. I have plans drawn up for how to properly resolve this, but have not been able to find the time to implement it (MBT currently has a higher priority). We also likely need to go through it with Luke to make sure it does not cause issues with our XBMC nfo compatibility. While we are re-designing our file parsing implementation may be an opportune time to do this, though.

Once the above two issues are fixed, I can update the Anime plugin to much more reliably handle automatic conversion between the various conventions that each TV database site is using.

• Like 2

saitoh183

There are a few issues which prevent this from working correctly at the moment.

The first is incomplete support for absolute episode numbers. When you place an episode inside a season folder, or give it a file name with a season number, is is only really sensible for MBS to assume season-relative episode numbers. It should however be possible to place episodes directly inside the series folder, without season folders, with absolute episode numbers. However, this does not currently work correctly. The files are found, parsed and identified (and metadata found), but they do not show up correctly in the logical view for the user. Also, I expect some of our clients are written with the assumption that episodes are always found inside seasons.

The second issue is that absolute episode numbers are not always consistent between databases such as AniDB (which a user using absolute anime episodes is most certainly following) and other sources such as Trakt and TVDB. This is especially true when it comes to specials and OVA releases, or how sequel/prequel series are handled.

I made an attempt to fix the second issue some time ago, but the current implementation is poor and incomplete. I have plans drawn up for how to properly resolve this, but have not been able to find the time to implement it (MBT currently has a higher priority). We also likely need to go through it with Luke to make sure it does not cause issues with our XBMC nfo compatibility. While we are re-designing our file parsing implementation may be an opportune time to do this, though.

Once the above two issues are fixed, I can update the Anime plugin to much more reliably handle automatic conversion between the various conventions that each TV database site is using.

Well im looking forward to this since the only software that has decent & easy to use implementation of Anime is Mediaportal  and Kodi (with the anidbmod scraper). Since we cant use Kodi library at the same time as MBS library, im forced to use a sort of patched solution for basic support that breaks when certain Anime dont fit the mold.

i don't think the naming project by itself will do it. the purpose of that is really just to improve our ability to handle non-clean file naming.

i do plan to implement the ability to have separate metadata settings per library, and that's when i think the anime plugin will have the freedom to do what it needs to do without stepping on regular tv.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

As long as there's a plan to allow the ability to use Absolute number without confusing them with regular Episodes, I think it will solve the issue stated above. MediaBrowser server is so powerful, having a full integration of Anime would be so wonderful. So, thank you @@Luke and @@Aphid, for looking into this for us!

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

well things like issue nr 2 on the OP can easily be fixed by using the absolute number on thetvdb over the season/episode number we do now. we should have an option to use only absolute numbering or normal style numbering if we choose.

MB3 already pulls and write down the data in its nfo files all it needs to is to use it right for better Anime support.

ofc the numbering setting should be per library so people can split up anime and normal TV shows..... not that it would hurt using that numbering system on normal TV shows either tho TBH.

also to note: "Sailor Moon S - 1x013" is just Sailor Moon S3E13 on the tvdb with the absolute number of 102.

ofc this is an issue the OP's folder naming. he needs to have all the Sailor Moon seasons in one folder for MB3 to detect them correctly and make the right assumptions on the metadata it should download. 

MB3 will be flawed by user mistakes by simple file names for folder names till we add better AniDB support with linking the crc code in the file name up against the AniDB filebase.  ofc this is alot more hassle and will take alot more time to do a scan and will be hard to have good support for but its one of the flawless ways to do it IMO.

really wish MB3 had better support for anime, really wish it was as simple as JMM does it with its system, ofc that is using file hashing and such which handles things differently. 

also for anyone interested in the JMM server system you can find it here: http://japanesemediamanager.github.io/

also the comment about thetvdb naming, that really isnt an issue at all if your media manager supports crc codes or hashes in general.

im trying to get tvdb season support for the JMM naming script so auto renaming can be easier and it would add better support for media servers like MB3 and Plex aswell as filenames would be tvdb based over just the episode number.

if anyone want to help out on the github to support the naming script then feel free to do so here:

https://github.com/japanesemediamanager/jmmclient/issues/85

https://github.com/japanesemediamanager/jmmclient/issues/86

for any serious Anime lover a combination of JMM with another media server like MB3 is a must IMO. JMM is really needed with the flawless file hashing and linking of metadata agents. 

MB3 users can easily have JMM in the background and even just use it as a renaming tool (it can auto rename according to the users script on import if you so wish) 

Edited by aremann

Angelblue05

@@aremann

Can you please explain what do you mean by (I do not follow TVDB naming) - I don't know if you can use TVDB season folders with absolute numbers

also to note: "Sailor Moon S - 1x013" is just Sailor Moon S3E13 on the tvdb with the absolute number of 102.

ofc this is an issue the OP's folder naming. he needs to have all the Sailor Moon seasons in one folder for MB3 to detect them correctly and make the right assumptions on the metadata it should download. 

Everything is being detected properly when it comes to the metadata. It's just the way MBS handles the episodes with the watch/resume status. It just seems to fallback to TVDB for that part. The way I have it right now is like this (every folder looks like this):

54710d4b9c1d1_Folders.jpg54710d56b8302_Season1.jpg

I don't think MediaBrowser server supports TVDB to scrape season metadata. They are using TheMovieDB or AniDB (with the plugin).

Edited by Angelblue05

well this can really only be fixed by having a linking system across all the metadata agents, linking per series, season and episode across with AniDB to theTVDB (dont bother with Trakt as Trakt just pulls from thetvdb anyway so those are always the same) 

this should be done on a webhost or site of somekind that host all of these links for users to use.

there have been a few sites like this like XEM http://thexem.de/ but sadly its used by few and few people adds to it. 

programs like JMM does also do this but that is hosted on its own server just for JMM users. 

saitoh183

@@aremann

Can you please explain what do you mean by (I do not follow TVDB naming) - I don't know if you can use TVDB season folders with absolute numbers

Everything is being detected properly when it comes to the metadata. It's just the way MBS handles the episodes with the watch/resume status. It just seems to fallback to TVDB for that part. The way I have it right now is like this (every folder looks like this):

54710d4b9c1d1_Folders.jpg54710d56b8302_Season1.jpg

I don't think MediaBrowser server supports TVDB to scrape season metadata. They are using TheMovieDB or AniDB (with the plugin).

@aremann 

The plugin for Anime on MB3 requires using season 1 in front of the absolute number (see here).This is the issue that can only be fixed once MB3 changes the season constraint.

• Like 1

@@aremann

What I would like MB to do is run a new identity conversion phase after parsing, but before metadata collection, to allow us to do these conversions between AniDB <-> TVDB (or any other standard). The user would then be able to organise their media in either format, and both will work with all metadata providers. This is much what you are describing when you say we need a "linking system across all the metadata agents". However, my first go at this caused some problems, and it was also not trivial to persist the identity information without risking causing issues with our XBMC nfo file compatibility. I am fairly sure that some small changes to the design would fix this though.

@@Luke Allowing per-collection settings would help things a little, but it would not fix this issue.This is not an issue with the anime metadata providers as such, but rather the problem that all other metadata providers fail to correctly identify the item if it is using absolve AniDB episode numbers. More importantly, the other providers don't just not recognise it; they miss-identify the item and retrieve the wrong information. Putting the anime providers at a higher priority than the others is not the ideal solution, as some of the other sources have better data in some cases (e.g. TVDB has far better and more diverse images).

Before we can really look into this we need to first fix MB not properly recognising absolute episodes. I noted that they are not working correctly in this pull request.

These episodes are now identified correctly, but they still do not work. The episodes show up as children of the series in the library explorer when you are looking at the physical data (which is correct), but if you switch to one of the user views, the episode appears empty. I expect many of the clients also do not expect a series to have episodes as children instead of seasons.

Auto-organise and the missing/unaired provider probably also need a looking at for these.

Edited by Aphid

• 4 weeks later...
saitoh183

@@Aphid @@Luke

Before we can really look into this we need to first fix MB not properly recognising absolute episodes. I noted that they are not working correctly in this pull request.

How is this issue suppose to move forward if the pull request is closed and  with the response @@ebr gave?

Edited by saitoh183

• 3 years later...
ShadowKindjal

I'm currently experiencing this issue and wanted to know if any progress has been made on it. I have the Anime Plugin installed and I'm using absolute episode numbers. Emby seems to parse episodes with absolute numbers below 100 perfectly but it's once I hit 100 that everything suddenly goes wonky. i.e. All episodes from 100 - 199 are season one, 200-299 are season 2 and so on.

All episodes from 100 - 199 are season one, 200-299 are season 2 and so on.

It's by design because a lot of people name their episodes that way unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...