Can you not use External Players if you stream

swindmiller

swindmiller

I setup a WMC machine at my dads house and installed Media Browser Classic like I have at my home. I setup his MBC to point to my server (at my house) using my DNS name. All plays fine but will not play thru an external player (MPC-HC).

Is this because I am streaming and not direct playing or do I not have something setup right?

Thanks,

Scott

The new beta version will allow streaming to MPC-HC or VLC.  It will not allow streaming to a generic player because we can't be sure it can handle it.

Hey @ebt will transcoded streams not require authentication?  Would it be OK to incorporate this in to the external MPC-HC client?  All users would have to do is use the web interface, iPad etc, remote control their player and select the content without a Media Center install being required.

Any chance of some more details?

No, I don't believe the streams themselves require authentication but MBC attempts to direct stream to the source whenever it can as well.

@@swindmiller - as an aside, I'm very interested in how this remote MBC setup performs for you.  Can you provide the following information when you have time?

• How large is your library (not in bytes but in items)
  • What types of items (like just movies or also photos and music)
  • What is the upstream bandwidth on the server end?
  • What is the downstream bandwidth on the remote client end?
  • What theme is in use on the remote client?
  • What is the performance like browsing around?
  • What is the video playback like?

Thanks.

swindmiller

• How large is your library (not in bytes but in items) 1453 movies and 3321 tv episodes in 43 different shows
  • What types of items (like just movies or also photos and music) Movies and TV Shows only
  • What is the upstream bandwidth on the server end? 25mbps
  • What is the downstream bandwidth on the remote client end? don't know yet. Testing at work, but this will be for my dad who has not upgraded his line yet
  • What theme is in use on the remote client? Chocolate
  • What is the performance like browsing around? Browsing seems fine. Everything seems to load up pretty quick
  • What is the video playback like? Video playback is ok but that could be my link at work here though

I noticed on some videos FFmpeg was running on my server which means it was transcoding on some other videos the server seemed like it was doing nothing while the client was playing, was it direct playing? My Server runs on a Windows machine and all of my media is on an Unraid server connected thru a gigabit switch.

I hope to play around with this some more but have to wait until my dad upgrades his line, he has a 1mbps currently...that won't cut it :)

My brother is currently using the web client at his house over a 10mbps line. Over the thanksgiving break I am going to try to switch him to MBC to see how that works.

MBT works great too but lacks in some features....Random play which we live off of.

Scott

Edited by swindmiller

Thanks for the info and please keep us up to date on how it goes.  Your saving grace is the 25Mb uplink from your server.  That will probably make it usable :).

It should only transcode when it has to (which will probably be most of the time).