Fast forward and rewind

Jackrats

Jackrats

Hi, I've got a Roku 3 that I'm using with MBS and one thing that I've noticed is that if I'm watching a show or movie and fast forward or rewind, I get no video indication of how far I've moved forward or back. Have been using a Popcorn hour for many years and MythTV for years before that and having the video show where you're at has always been a feature in any platform I've run. I'm a bit worried that this might be the one deal breaker on the Wife Approval Factor (she hasn't spent enough time on it yet to notice, but I can already hear the question). Is this even possible with streaming to the Roku?

farside847

This is called trick play. I asked about it a few weeks ago and was told that support for this is on the roadmap, but I am not sure how far away it might be.

I am going to follow this thread too in case more details surface :)

Jackrats

Thanks farside, I just went back and found your post, I hadn't noticed it on my first pass through the forums. Sorry to be the new guy re-asking everything again.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
farside847

No worries. It perked my interest again because this is probably the most frequently asked thing from the wife ;)

Devs, do we know how far out this"roadmap" feature might be?

Thanks!

Plus the roku bif trick mode for previews while you seek only works with direct streaming. They don't support it with HLS streams. That dramatically reduces the number of people who will benefit from the feature, which in turn, dramatically reduces the priority of doing it. Plus, someone is going to have to volunteer to answer the questions of why you get the thumbnails with certain videos, but not others.

Jackrats

When does MB stream to the Roku versus HLS?

To me, the time counter during FF/RWD is completely useless. The granularity is only down to the minute, FF/RWD happens very quickly, and I have no idea how long an intro or commercial might be that I'm trying to get past. Without the play, it's a complete guessing game on how far to FF/RWD.

• Like 1

It seems when you enable the bif within the roku client, that sometimes ffmpeg and conhost processes linger causing the server to no longer respond and hang. You have to manually kill both to regain control.

Plex also supports this via an external python script used to generate requested bif files, not sure how theirs works. I don't use Plex. It is disappointing this is being given low priority as the majority of users direct play on their rokus.

Fwiw, personally, the bif trick mode has never shown any thumbnails during a few tests on my roku, and causes the above hang I mentioned above. I'll test some video types and such and see if I can get any but the constant hang is interrupting me. Anyone else seeing similar? Anyone interested in this?

Edited by speechles