Audio Format error after upgrade

CodeGreen

CodeGreen

I have been using MBT for nearly a year without any issue.  A couple of days ago i realized it had not updated in a long time, and I saw the thread saying to use the installer as auto-updating had broken.  I have done so, and now most of my files (which worked fine before), will not play.  In the log (I have attached the entire log), I see:

Cannot play back the audio stream: the audio format is not supported.

I have tried reverting back to the version I was before by renaming the System.old folder, this did not help.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the LAV filters.

I have noticed that regardless of the setting of the SetTrayIcon, I never see the LAV icon in the tray.

I am out of ideas and have no idea what to try next, please help.

Thank you,

Danny

theater-63552063889.txt

babgvant

What format is the audio? It looks like you have MBT configured to bit stream S/PDIF compatible formats, does your audio endpoint support these compressed formats?

CodeGreen

Yes, I have a Surround Sound receiver connected to the S/PDIF output.  Most of the files are mkv have AC3, and they have all worked on this same system prior to running the installer.

CodeGreen

Yes, though I am at work using RDP into the system, so i don't know if there is any sound like that.  My memory from when I first set this up though was that to get surround sound to work, bitstreaming was needed?

babgvant

Yes, though I am at work using RDP into the system, so i don't know if there is any sound like that.  My memory from when I first set this up though was that to get surround sound to work, bitstreaming was needed?

If you're using a S/PIDF (TOSLINK or coax)  connection, then yes you will need to bit stream compatible compressed formats to get real surround sound.

CodeGreen

I will get the error through RDP when Bitstream is on, and also when not using RDP.  So to get my receiver to work again, I need to figure out this issue it sounds like.  I suspect it is related to LAV, doesn't the installer try to install LAV, so probably it did something to cause my issue.  Should I uninstall MBT completely do you think and re-install?  I did try uninstalling LAV and re-installed using the downloaded version.  I wonder if I had an older version before that worked?

CodeGreen

OK, i went ahead and tried completely uninstalling LAV and MBT, re-installed MBT.  It seemed as though it did NOT install LAV (as I had thought it did).  So i also reinstalled LAV (.63), still the same issue.

babgvant

You can't test bit streaming while connected to RDP. Audio is redirected through the remote session. MBT uses its own install of LAV, you don't need to install it anymore.

When you get home, make sure that your AVR is set as the default audio device and test it with bit streaming enabled and disabled. LMK the results, we can go from there.

babgvant

In the "Sound" control panel item the default item will have a green check circle on it. You set it by right-clicking and choosing "Set Default" (or something like that).

babgvant

If you use the WASAPI AR you can set a device target inside of MBT, so if you want to use a different audio path for other apps and the AVR for MBT that is possible.

CodeGreen

OK, so I'm an idiot and went down a completely wrong path.  So after doing the upgrade, certain files that I know worked before, were not working (the screen would just stay black).  Well, it's difficult to read log files and such on the big screen in the living room from the couch, so I had the bright idea that I would rdp in to troubleshoot.  So of course, as babgvant pointed out, the bitstream failed because the default audio was now the remote source which didn't support the formats and I've been thinking that was the issue.  So today I go back to using the TV, and everything is working fine.  Evidently something I did trying to fix the non-existent bitstream issue (uninstall-reinstall, the version now is newer than when I first upgraded, who knows), has fixed the issue.

Thank you so much for you help, and hopefully this post will help someone who doesn't realize that using RDP on a bitstream setup will fail.