Server Backup Config & playlist

saitoh183

saitoh183

Why do we loose our playlist when we do a restore? Thank god i had my Backup of my C drive that allowed me to get them back. Its because its is stored in Data\playlist?

Edited by saitoh183

Because those simply weren't something we could reliably back up and restore.  That plug-in is designed to back up the configuration, not your data.

saitoh183

Because those simply weren't something we could reliably back up and restore.  That plug-in is designed to back up the configuration, not your data.

ic...but why cant you back up the folder reliably? if there is no playlist, the playlist folder still exist. Cant you just tell it to take what ever is inside it? If this isnt possible you should maybe revise the description for 

546e88c107c45_backupdata.jpg

Because its a bit misleading for the user that thinks everything is backed up

Playlists are a part of your library, just like collections as opposed to being what we call "user data" and, to my reading, that description doesn't mention them at all...

I did want to back up both Playlists and Collections but they wouldn't work reliably so I had to scrap it.  I may look at it again in the future.

saitoh183

Playlists are a part of your library, just like collections as opposed to being what we call "user data" and, to my reading, that description doesn't mention them at all...

I did want to back up both Playlists and Collections but they wouldn't work reliably so I had to scrap it.  I may look at it again in the future.

The part that could be misleading is the etc...

If I put some time in to trying to get Playlist and Collection backup and restore implemented, would you be willing to test it for me?

saitoh183

If I put some time in to trying to get Playlist and Collection backup and restore implemented, would you be willing to test it for me?

Sure thing ...Test machine is a all ready ;)

Edited by saitoh183

Well, I tried again and, unfortunately, this still cannot be done.  I believe it is a bug/limitation in the server.  I can back up the playlists and I can restore them too, but whenever the file is externally manipulated like that (for both playlists and collections) the server wipes out the contents.  So, you get back all the playlists and collections but they are empty.

Someone (I forgot who) was also trying to create a program that would import playlists from iTunes or somewhere like that and they ran into the same issue.  I'm not really sure exactly what is happening.

saitoh183

Well, I tried again and, unfortunately, this still cannot be done.  I believe it is a bug/limitation in the server.  I can back up the playlists and I can restore them too, but whenever the file is externally manipulated like that (for both playlists and collections) the server wipes out the contents.  So, you get back all the playlists and collections but they are empty.

Someone (I forgot who) was also trying to create a program that would import playlists from iTunes or somewhere like that and they ran into the same issue.  I'm not really sure exactly what is happening.

Yeah i tried bringing back a playlist folder from a backup i made and ran into the same issue even if the playlist was made with the restore i used.

• 1 year later...
rickster53

Hi Ebr,

Not sure if this was ever addressed but I faced this issue after doing a complete Emby uninstall/reinstall, and fortunately I had my own backup of my Music playlists. I had to manually do the following in order to restore them after the reinstall:

1. Restore your backed up playlist(s) to a temporary area.

2. Create a NEW dummy playlist in Emby for each of the playlist(s) you are trying to restore, making sure you use the identical name as your old playlist(s). I believe this reestablishes the playlist(s)in the db. This file gets overwritten in step 7 so it doesn't matter what's in this dummy playlist.

3. Edit one of the NEW playlists just created and copy the user id number that can found near the bottom of the file to the clipboard.

4. Open each of your old playlists in the temporary area and replace the old user id number with the one from the clipboard.

5. Make sure the path specified for each entry in the playlist is the proper path for your new install. If not, and as was in my case, a simple find and replace changed the path for each entry.

6. Save the updated playlist(s) in the temporary area.

7. Copy the playlist(s) from the temporary area to the proper Emby playlist folder: Emby-Server/data/playlists

overwriting the dummy playlists you created in step 2.

8. Open the Emby application and go to the Playlist folder.

9. Refresh each of the playlists you jut copied and Emby will update the db with the items from the restored playlist(s)

While I only had music playlists, I assume this would work for any type of playlist?

Ebr, with the exception of having to make path adjustments in the restored playlist file(s), I'm wondering if this would be doable as part of an Emby backup/restore process. It would certainly be beneficial for anyone just restoring their environment and not having moved their data. If there was a path change, then perhaps a simple warning message could be provided as you could check and see if that path still exists? Just a thought...

Edited by rickster53
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

whats the possibility of getting a database schema where this is stored I'd be game to take a crack at writing something for this 

I had the same problem when I ported my server over 

Edited by hmanegold

yes I looked at the playlist.xml but it also must be in a db someplace I started looking in the library.db with SQLite explorer but it's not quickly apparent but then again I haven't dug into it yet but would be glad to if you want the help