How to build a Dev release for Linux ?

marcjero

marcjero

Hi,

is there a manual that explains the build from sources ? I have to test fixes and I don't have any Windows box at home.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 but as far I can update my current installation it will be fine.

Thanks !

Make sure you have mono and mono-devel installed then download the latest release or master from github:

Github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/archive/master.tar.gz

after that use xbuild to build the file unzip the folder and from the main folder run:

$mono_path/bin/xbuild /p:Configuration="Release Mono" /p:Platform="Any CPU" /t:clean MediaBrowser.Mono.sln

$mono_path/bin/xbuild /p:Configuration="Release Mono" /p:Platform="Any CPU" /t:build MediaBrowser.Mono.sln

Here mono_path is the root location of mono in my case it is /opt/mono

The final product shoulf be located under MediaBrowser.Server.Mono/bin/Release\ Mono/

I would try to build a released version first , change master in the download link to the version number, because the latest builds I tried for master have failed

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
domenic

The new DotNet version is available in GIT, but is missing the Tools/Linux_Build_Scripts folder... I am looking at updating the VDR Plugin, but first want to make certain I can build (something) it by attempting to compile the current release of Emby on my Debian system...

Has anyone attempted this yet?

There is no linux specific script anymore. you can just built it with mono the same way for other platforms. thanks.

domenic

So.... the new version runs with the DotNet Runtime, but we don't use the dotnet-sdk to build it?  I don't want to clutter my test server with all the mono packages if I don't need to....

dcrdev

It's just "dotnet msbuild MediaBrowser.sln" isn't it?

For whatever reason they are being cagey about  publishing .NET Core build instructions, so I believe that's why @@Luke referenced Mono.

domenic

I think the build (as it stands) still requires the Mono environment.... when I execute "dotnet msbuild MediaBrowser.sln" I start seeing errors:

First line of many:

/usr/src/Emby/MediaBrowser.Controller/MediaBrowser.Controller.csproj(349,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "/usr/share/dotnet/sdk/2.0.3/Microsoft/Portable/v4.5/Microsoft.Portable.CSharp.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

of course it does not exist so it appears the linux dotnet SDK is missing pieces part of the Windows SDK