MB3 Classic Music by genre constantly crashing

georgewill76

georgewill76

Hi

I have enabled Movies By Genre in the MBC - Config - View so that it appears on my EHS.  Whenever I choose Movies By Genre from the EHS screen to view my movies it loads up the screen and I can see my genre icons but just freezes and crashes MBC.  I can't scroll or view any movies that are in this section.  I am currently running the latest beta versions of MB Server and Classic.

Cheesegeezer

Hi

I have enabled Movies By Genre in the MBC - Config - View so that it appears on my EHS.  Whenever I choose Movies By Genre from the EHS screen to view my movies it loads up the screen and I can see my genre icons but just freezes and crashes MBC.  I can't scroll or view any movies that are in this section.  I am currently running the latest beta versions of MB Server and Classic.

In addition to ebr's comments can you also state which theme you are using.  Many Thanks

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Sorry about that.  I have attached log file for MBC.  MBC details below:

Version:  3.0.207.0

Theme:  Chocolate

I tried to get into Movies By Genre.  I can see the genre icons but thats about it.  Shows no movies and wont allow me to scroll through the genres.  MB3 instantly crashes.

MBClassic-89201451b430945c55495cb6ca6ae4cca4bae1.log

Please define "crashes".

And, if you mean it is shut down by WMC with a message please follow the instructions in the post I linked you to and find the error in the Windows Event log.  Thanks.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Sorry.  When it freezes I get message that MB3 is not responding and it closes MB3 and takes me to Media Center home page so that I can reload MB3 again.  Thing is event viewer doesnt show any errors in the log.

Can you post the server log that corresponds to the mbc log above?  I see several time-outs trying to communicate with the server.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Just wanted to check if you had a chance to look at problem.  Just to update you it seems if I leave it for 2 mins in Movies By Genre the icons seem to show up and I can navigate.  Only problem is that half of the Genres show no items in the folders.  I have to do a manual refresh of the affected folders/genres then the movies show up.  However, if I exit MBC then go back in I have to do the same again as described.

How many movies are in your entire collection?

Again I see timeouts trying to retrieve the genre information but I can't match that up to super long requests on the server side.

georgewill76

Roughly 1800 movies, all in the same folder. I tested MBT and it seems to work no problem with all my movies plus genres. When I open just all my movies via ehs it opens fast.

Edited by georgewill76

Well, I think the genre processing on the server is quite a bit slower than just straight retrieval.  It is possible that the number of movies and number of genres is just too large in your system (although, that is surprising because I think others have larger collections).

All the other clients use different methods for retrieval than MBC because they were designed for client/server so those comparisons aren't really apples to apples.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Thanks for getting back to me.  Is there anything I can do to resolve problem?  Would you prefer that I send newer logs so that there is more information or is it something that cant get fixed right now?

Since no one else is reporting this issue and I can't reproduce it it is hard for me to give any advice.  Try this:

• Restart your server
  • Wait 5 minutes for it to settle down
  • Then go into MBC and enter the movies by genre item
  • Wait another few minutes for things to appear

Then post both the MBC and server logs.  Maybe I'll be able to spot something else.

georgewill76

HI Ebr

I did what you said and logs can be found in following location:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uo0g538lzt5p52h/AACRq4xEe0fNUd5kxIOdqVffa?dl=0

Was doing some testing and also noticed that it has been affecting my TV Shows as well.  When I was scrolling through my TV Shows I noticed a couple of them had the wrong backdrop, for example when I hover over Braquo it is showing the backdrop for Silicon Valley and not the correct TV Series.

Looks like problem on my system is not only affecting Movies By Genre but also TV Shows.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Did you do exactly as I specified?  It looks like you did a lot of moving around and in and out of different items as opposed to just going into the collections view and letting it sit...

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

I went in first just to check movies and tv shows and noticed problem with tv shows.  Then went into movies by genre at the end and left it there for 2 mins just so it would load up.  I can start from scratch so that i only go into movies by genre.

Please do and post only the two appropriate logs (MBC and server).  I'm trying to see exactly what is going on when you do this. Thanks.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Thanks for being patient with me.  I have done what you requested.  Please find attached Server and MBC log.  I powered up server and let it settle for about 5 minutes.  I then powered up my Media Center, loaded up MB3 and went straight to Movies By Genre.  I waited a while for the Genre Images to load up.  Most of them showed movies in the genre but I think maybe 5 or 6 genres show no items.

MBClassic-14920147a6b7b541c29483fbba203b340fc3e48.log

server-63546303931.txt

Is the server on a different machine than the client?  If so, can you confirm that the times are exactly in sync (to the second)?

georgewill76

Server is on a different machine than client.  I checked the times and it looks as though the client pc was having trouble updating internet time.  Client PC was approx 12 seconds faster than Server PC.  I have now fixed that and both Server and Client times are exactly in sync.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

I have been doing some testing and think I have figured out the problem.  I decided to change the view when you enter movies by genre.  I changed it from Coverview to Strip and restarted MB3.  After making this change I went back into Movies By Genre and everything loaded up straight away and I was able to view movies in each genre.  When I changed it back to Coverview and went back into Movies By Genre the problem occurred again and took along time to load up the images and only have the genres would display movies.  I am using folder icons for my genres which are png file with dimensions of 512 x 407 with the average size of the png being 400kb.  Could this image file size be too big which is causing the timeouts?

No, the images aren't a problem per-se but your collection may be on the cusp of being too large to produce this kind of a view (all movies by genre) in MBC.

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Thanks for getting back to me.  I take it that it means there is nothing that can be done to fix problem with the timeouts?