MB3 Classic Music by genre constantly crashing

georgewill76

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

I have increased the time out value from 40secs to 60secs.  If I keep Movies By Genre in Coverview mode/view then I have the problems described.  If I keep it in Strip mode/view, which loads up no folder images, then the movies by genre works.  Does it make a difference to system if I have my ImagesByName collection on the servers C Drive (main drive)  compared to having it on my storage pool, which is a combination of hard drives to make one big hard drive, which also contains all my TV and Movies?

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

I have been doing some more testing before I move my ImagesByName from my pool of hard drives to the C Drive.  I decided to try some of the other theme plugins for MB3.  Problem is I am only limited to a few as I tried some of the others before and my trial is expired.  Currently I am using the Chocolate Theme/Plugin which has been causing me problems with Movies By Genre.  I decided to test the Square Theme and Neo Theme.  With both of these themes Movies By Genre loaded up extremely fast without any problems.  Movies showed up in there correct Genres and there haven't been any problems.  This is even using the Coverview view, which under Chocolate has caused me problems.  Could the Chocolate Plugin/Theme be the cause of the problems I have been describing?

Obviously something is different but I can't be sure what it is.  You might try un-checking some options like show unwatched count on folders and see if that makes a difference.

altramarine

~~EDIT:

Synology NAS: content

MB Server: 3.0.5366.22005 (server PC W7 x64)

MBC Client: 3.0.206.0 (HTPC, W7 x64)

Chocolate Theme

~~

Hi there,

I am having the exact same behavior. I was about to post a new thread when i found this post.

I will have logs and versions posted as per rules once i get home.

Just to add:

• In my case, when i switch to "Movies by genre", MBC freezes and after about 10 or so seconds WMP displays a warning that the application (MBC) stopped responding. HOWEVER, if I do not respond with "close" to this warning message, which exits out of MBC, "Movies by genre" eventually comes around I am able to browse the different movie titles.
  • "Movies by genre" appears to be inconsistent at displaying movie titles under each genre. So for example, "History" lists a few movies titles. Re-opening "Movies by genre" (after the aforementioned wait) lists no movie titles under the same "History" genre. I have not fully tested to confirm this happens to ALL genres but this was observed with several others: "Sci-Fi" and "Documentary".

Many thanks for all of your effort:)

Edited by altramarine

I'd say around 400

Well, that's odd as that isn't much at all.  I have around that many and my Movies By Genre opens in under a second.

altramarine

Yah, i remember using "Movies by genre" feature a few months back with no issues. It was just last night that i decided to try it again and experienced the OP's problem. I admit, i was tinkering with settings in MBC a week ago. However, it was mostly cosmetic (Chocolate settings/views). I will sit down today and go through each option to see if something was checked that triggers this "freeze".

Yes I am having an identical problem to altramarine.  Server on different machine, less than 300 total movies, using Chocolate cover view.  This started happening just 1 to 2 weeks ago.  Perhaps corresponding to code update?

I'll be monitoring to learn of fix. Let me know if you'd like me to upload any details to help troubleshoot.

Btw thanks for developing a very nice application and the great support provided through the forum!

Yes I am having an identical problem to altramarine.  Server on different machine, less than 300 total movies, using Chocolate cover view.  This started happening just 1 to 2 weeks ago.  Perhaps corresponding to code update?

I'll be monitoring to learn of fix. Let me know if you'd like me to upload any details to help troubleshoot.

Btw thanks for developing a very nice application and the great support provided through the forum!

If you can take the time to try selecting and de-selecting some configuration options and see if any of them resolve/cause the problem that would be a big help.  I have not been able to reproduce this issue but I know it exists so I need to figure out if it is related to a specific configuration option.

georgewill76

Hi

Similar to the problems everyone else has been having I have also tried changing the views and only strip view worked.  I have unchecked all the options, such as unwatched count on folders but nothing helps.  I have switched my theme from Chocolate to Neo and everything seems to be fine no matter what view I choose with Neo theme.

Also I have done a clean installation of O/S and Mediabrowser Software on both my Server and HTPC to see if it would help but that hasn't helped.

Edited by georgewill76

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ReaperXero

I had this issue, but I unchecked all the indicators and restarted MBC and then rechecked them and then rebooted. It seemed to have done the trick. Not sure what got it stuck.

ok nvm it came back. I just turned EHS off.

Edited by ReaperXero

blais412

Hi ReaperXero,

Thanks very much for posting your success here!  

Can you let me know a little more specifically when you say "all the indicators"?  Being not so profiecient with the app, I'd really appreciate some navigation guidance to which menu or screen you are referring to?

Thanks very much!

Paul

Edited by blais412

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else notice this issue? I'm not sure if it's my setup or not but movies by genre and music by genre crash every time I launch it. It crashes in different ways each time. Sometimes it says unable to launch mb3 with an invalid application message. And some times it says program not responding and it just locks all of wmc.  I added  a log of an instance of it failing.

MBClassic-2211201427c0ccb55e35411797689facad022bb9.log

Edited by bxsteez

@@bxsteez you need to do some updating.  Have you disabled automatic plug-in updating?  You should really turn that on.  You have some old versions of plug-ins that need to be updated.

Also, you are running an old dev version of MBC itself.  Please update that to at least the current release but if you would also try updating to the current dev version and post another log if it crashes that would be very helpful.  The current dev version only has additional logging related to an issue I saw in your log.

I have automatic plug-in updating enabled and set to "Release" and the same goes for System Updates.  I'm not sure why my plugins are old.  I will switch both to Dev and see if that updates anything.  Xenon theme always says Update Pending and it requires a restart but I've restarted MB3 100x and it still says the same thing. 

I will try and again and post another log.   ****EDIT***

I attached the new log

@@bxsteez you need to do some updating.  Have you disabled automatic plug-in updating?  You should really turn that on.  You have some old versions of plug-ins that need to be updated.

Also, you are running an old dev version of MBC itself.  Please update that to at least the current release but if you would also try updating to the current dev version and post another log if it crashes that would be very helpful.  The current dev version only has additional logging related to an issue I saw in your log.

MBClassic-23112014aad683e6c8294445a15503bb5153fffc.log

Edited by bxsteez

Thanks.  Now please tell me exactly what you did in that session and exactly what happened.

@@Luke, I'm seeing the improper json in his log like we were seeing in only one other case before now.  It looks very similar to the json corruption that occurs with large websocket messages on Win 7...

I think I just logged in and went to Music By Genre and it crashed.  I've gone in and out of MB3 like 400x today with constant crashing and random images being screwed up so I don't remember exactly what steps I took when this crashed..  Sorry..  I can try it again?  

Sometimes when I go to Music first and go through a couple of artists and then go back to Music By Genre and then it doesn't crash immediately but if I try and go into a Genre then it crashes. 

Thanks.  Now please tell me exactly what you did in that session and exactly what happened.

@@Luke, I'm seeing the improper json in his log like we were seeing in only one other case before now.  It looks very similar to the json corruption that occurs with large websocket messages on Win 7...

Edited by bxsteez

I either got an Unable to Launch MB3 or Program stop responding.  Those are the two I normally get but there is no order to which happens.  When I get Program is not responding I have to kill the eshell task. 

Can you define "crash" exactly?