Display albums of album artists

steve1977

steve1977

I am getting my full music library into MBS now, which wil be challenging, but a new exciting task ahead!!!

I noticed one thing, which may be a bug or intended behaviour.

I have a lot of albums that have featured artists (actually most of albums today have at least one song with another artist being featured. In these cases, The album artists is one artist and most of the songs have just one artist, but one song on the album have another artist being featured.

This leads to a few things in MBS:

1) The artist view is completely clattered as thousands of artists show up. Some of them being bizzarr artists that have never released an album (but were featured on one song). I believe that this is artist and I can live with it (as I still have the album artist view. Assume this is intended?

2) When I select an "album artist", it not only displays all albums by this artist, but all albums that have at least one song with this artist (even if just featured). This is quite annoying as it shows all compilations. Artists that are on many of my compilations show dozens of albums when clicking on their name. I don't think this is intended. I would have hoped that it only shows the albums where the artist is the album artist and not include the compilations. This may be a bug?

What do you think? Thanks in advance!!!

steve1977

Any thoughts on above? Would really love to use music in MBS, but this makes it really tough. There are thousands of artists being displayed (1) and when clicking an album artist, there may be dozens of albums (2). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

steve1977

Sorry for bumping this thread again. For those of us with a fair bit of compilation, the current treatment makes the "artist section" and also the "album section" (by album artist) barely usable.

To illustrate: I have "only" 706 albums from 234 artists. However, MBS shows 8,848 artists as it includes every single random artist that was featured and also every single artist that is part of a compilation.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

ginjaninja

You may have misunderstood the intention of the views imo....the current intention of the album artist and artist view is not so much to have different views (imo)...rather just make it easier to find artists tagged as album artists...

I agree there is an opportunity to improve the 'artist view' in clients....that is what we are talking about here...as once you have clicked on an artist in the album artist view...you are at the artist view...

My suggestion would be that the artist view by album is split into two sections,

Section 1, for all albums where artist=album artist...optionally sorted by release date, name (asc/desc)

Section 2, for all albums where artist not = album artist...optionally sorted by release date,name (asc/desc)

this could translate to the the artist view by song

Could have the same two sections....or just album artist songs at top...followed by not album artist songs below....

steve1977

Thanks for your reply and valid points. I still don't see the logic that the current way leads to the fact that I have 8,848 artists in my artist view although I only have 706 albums. It is probably the way how it is currently designed, but not sure whether this is the most helpful.

It may be easier to switch to the way how Itunes and also XBMC/Kodi treat and display artists. Basically only album artists are being displayed in the artist view, which in my eyes makes a lot of sense. Nobody will care about this artist that was featured on one track in one single album.

ginjaninja

Thanks for your reply and valid points. I still don't see the logic that the current way leads to the fact that I have 8,848 artists in my artist view although I only have 706 albums. It is probably the way how it is currently designed, but not sure whether this is the most helpful.

It may be easier to switch to the way how Itunes and also XBMC/Kodi treat and display artists. Basically only album artists are being displayed in the artist view, which in my eyes makes a lot of sense. Nobody will care about this artist that was featured on one track in one single album.

im not following how the album artist view doesnt accommodate your requirement to show only album artists...

steve1977

It does, but then I cannot select all albums that belong to the album artist (as I will see all albums for this artist even if the artist is only featured on one single track). I agree that your proposal above (with section 1 and section 2) could also solve it. Was just thinking why not to "switch" to the current norm how music is dealt with (Itunes, XBMC/Kodi, Plex, etc.)?

ginjaninja

i see what you mean....

when you access artist content by album artist view only show content pertaining to section 1

when you access artist content by artist view show content pertaining to section 1 & 2..this is how WMP works....

i like the idea of sections under one artist view as it wont matter how the user arrived at the view...eg if you searched for the artist would be that be intended  as 'artist' or 'album artist'.

• Like 1

steve1977

Thanks, Your proposal with the two sections would also be ok for me and a lot  better than the current status.

Also, I would need to check how the current implementation works over DLNA. I have a bad feeling that 8,848 artists are shown, which would make it unusable. This would be another reason to go to an Itunes/XBMC way of treating artists. Actually, I believe that XBMC has a "setting" for this. Let me check this.

Any view from one of the developers whether changes to the music library could be made?

• 2 weeks later...
steve1977

Back to my computer with good and bad news. Good news is that this is NOT a general issue about albumartist treatment. It is only for albums, where I put "Classical Music" or "Soundtrack" as "albumartist". It does not happen if I give the albumartist another random name manually such as "My favorite album".

So, it indeed must be somehow related to the the "[..]" in MBZ. My tag actually does not include "[..]", but MBZ probably somehow returns this as a match.

Let me illustrate my issue with screenshots:

Album view (all albums show correctly with album title and albumartist taken from MP3 tags)

548b113dc7bbb_Albumview.jpg

Albumartist view (Beyonce and Buddha Bar display correctly. However, [classical music] and [soundtrack] show wrong!!!_

548b11c8ec5a4_albumartistview.jpg

I tried deleting the MBZ ID from the albumartist field [classical music], but this did not bring any chance.

Any chance for a bug fix? Any other info that I can provide?

Thanks again!!!