Privacy question

Mdaloha77

Mdaloha77

Hello,

I have question about privacy matter...strangely, I cant find any relevant topic on this so I ask here.
I would like to know how seriously developers of MB taking the end user privacy.
Are all of my data which I import into MB private and will stay that way? Or MB sending some "statistic" data back to devs?
I understand that for functions like downloading info(picture, text, trailers etc) about movie MB will need to connect to some public services like tvdb,imdb etc.
and ask for data and thats ok. Whats bothering me most is combo paypal+supporter key which can be very dangerous to privacy of end users as its very tightly binds real world end user
to his own MB installation. My concerns are based on current situations. Who would have expected a few years ago that today there will be a massive presure on end user in form
of letters from their own ISPs, proceedings, massive snooping on end users activities etc. Thats one of the reason I stop using services like last.fm, tract.tv for example, because how
long it takes to bad guys to realize, that on those service they have the end users literally on the plate. So back to MB. I have few suggestion on improvements for end user privacy:
-would be nice to have some statement, about end user privacy in program description and on home page of MB.
-function for disabling MB communication(downloading new data, checking new updates-messages) - button on front page next to shutdown button?
-feature showing actual network connections(created by MB), special log file for connections to outside world

I understand that for folks with 10 DVDs and music cds is this not relevant, but I thing(base on reading through this forum) that MB have lot of users which have bigger collections... And yes you can call me paranoid.

• Like 1

We don't gather any information about your library.

We only gather information about the fact you are there, what OS you are on and if you are running the app as a normal app or a service.  We do this so we can know how best to apply our limited resources.  The only opt-out of this is to not use the system as we feel this information gathering is very innocuous and necessary given we are a free open-source project.

Mdaloha77

Thx for info.

Do you thing guys, that you can put this "We don't gather any information - Everything is private" statement somewhere on main page for visitors? I thing that this is important info for potencial end user, especially in todays world.

And last thing...is somehow my local installation of MB connected to supported key therefore to my paypal therefore to my real name? Do you keep this connection somewhere in yours db?

Mdaloha77

So the current end user privacy summary is: you have my ip, my email, type of OS - and currently you dont collect any info about end user library. Well I expected worse, so this can fly. Thx.

Redshirt

To help make it clear why and when the various pieces of information are collected.

There's no marketing, advertising or similar garbage. The info that is gathered is always related to a service that's provided to the end user and abstinence from that service will prevent the information in question from being recorded. The project is also open source, so people can see with their own eyes what is recorded where just by browsing the source.  

Beardyname

IP Address

This is necessary for MB Connect to work. If the service didn't know your ip, their would be no way to link clients to your server. This can be avoided by connecting to a server manually and not using the MB Connect service.

How does this work exactly? if i setup my user with MB Connect will you then gather my ip? aka if i don't have any users with MB connect enabled you won't know my ip adress? (except from the supporter key thing which does say hello to some service somewhere)

How does this work exactly? if i setup my user with MB Connect will you then gather my ip? aka if i don't have any users with MB connect enabled you won't know my ip adress? (except from the supporter key thing which does say hello to some service somewhere)

Correct on all points.

• 5 years later...
6 minutes ago, Pommes said:

Hi only curious if thats still all true with privacy or if sth changed? :)

Hi, do you have a specific question? I haven't re-read this whole topic, by my answer here is still true:

Hi thanks i only was curious what data is shared/submited to you.

On 11/23/2014 at 6:06 PM, Luke said:

Everything is private. We don't send any information about your media library to any external location.

• 1 year later...
coreshift
On 11/23/2014 at 10:06 AM, Luke said:

Everything is private. We don't send any information about your media library to any external location.

So information about my media library isn't sent to any external location. Is information about what is currently being played and/or has been played sent outside my local Emby server? What about with an Emby Premier subscription? Is information about my library or what I am (or am about to or have) playing(ed) sent outside my local Emby server? What exactly is sent with an Emby Premier subscription? Is it a one time check for license from the client to a server or does it happen at intervals during playback?

2 minutes ago, coreshift said:

So information about my media library isn't sent to any external location. Is information about what is currently being played and/or has been played sent outside my local Emby server? What about with an Emby Premier subscription? Is information about my library or what I am (or am about to or have) playing(ed) sent outside my local Emby server? What exactly is sent with an Emby Premier subscription? Is it a one time check for license from the client to a server or does it happen at intervals during playback?

Hi, the answers are no, no, nothing, and it's a periodic check.