DVD structure oddities

techiem2

techiem2

So I recently started slowly rebuilding my dvd rip file structure to be MB friendly as much as possible, and ran into a bit of a strange situation.

I'm not sure if there's really a solution for the properly (other than possibly a addition to how MB reads filesystem), but thought I'd bring it up.

I do all my rips and pure video_ts dirs, because I got sick of fighting with encoding (and I have a nice fileserver).

The other night I ran into an odd situation where the episodes on the DVDs are not technically in the show airing order.

In this case, it's the DVD collections for Batman: The Animated Series.

Volume 1 has 4 discs spanning 28 episodes (7 per disc).

My initial thinking was to simply name each disc directory as in the forum post S01E01-E07, etc.

However, the episode order on the disc set is apparently not that actually episode order (I found this out via digging around on IMDB), so when MB read the dirs and generated episode names and summaries, they were incorrect.

I guess the "solution" for this would be for MB to support a naming structure like S01E05E10E03E07 or some such in addition to S01E01-E07.

I don't know if that's likely to happen, but I thought I should bring it up since this means that at this time it's pointless to put such collections in MB if you aren't doing episodic rips/encodes to put things in the correct order manually.

techywarrior

In general full folder rips like what you are doing is sort of frowned upon as there are lots of issues. I'd highly recommend that you use something like MakeMKV (free beta) and then you can rip the entire disc for movies and you can do individual episodes for TV content. You don't lose anything other then the menu and the annoying unskippable content but the data is stored in a much more usable format. There are some other discussions about folder rips and MakeMKV on the forum but if you don't care about the size MakeMKV is essentially a one button process.