Can Media Browser for Windows Media Center play Trailers

turntablejunky

turntablejunky

So I've searched around, but have not found the answer I'm looking for.

I would like to know if there is a way to show movie trailers in Media Center via the Media Browser.  I know this is possible when I look at my library via the Web Client, but not useful, as I never look at the Web Client.

I like to watch my movies via Media Center, because I have it connected to my home theater.  The whole point of Media Browser and Media Center for me, is to be able to navigate everything using my remote controller, and getting away from the mouse and keyboard thing.  The interface is also much nicer in Media Center, as opposed to having an ugly web browser displayed on my projector, just to watch Web Client.

Hopefully someone helps me with this, and I can preview movies by watching a trailer in Media Center.  Would be a great feature.

Thank you,
Andrej

BTW my Media Browser is Version 3.0.5424.1.

You can watch trailers via the Trailers channel or local trailers that have been downloaded to your movie folders as documented in the KB.  You cannot watch YouTube trailers in MBC.

turntablejunky

Where do I watch trailers via the Trailers channel?  Unfortunately YouTube will not work for me, as I don't want to exit Media Center and open up an ugly browser interface on my projector.  Downloading trailers is also out of the question, as I don't want to browse a separate folder to watch trailers.

The point I'm trying to make, is that there should be a Trailers button, inside of the actual movie I'm viewing in Media Center.  That way, I can preview a movie before committing to watch it.  

I would like to see a Trailers button in the red box I've highlighted in the attached image.

This can't be that difficult to code, so looking forward to an updated feature in the future.

Thanks, 

Andre

54752d456d593_trailers.png

You need to download local trailers to get the function you are asking for.  It is there but you need the trailer.

Otherwise, install the Trailers channel plug-in and enable channels in MBC and you can watch them there.

turntablejunky

I don't think local trailers are what I'm seeking.  I presume in that case I would have to first of all spend time to download matching trailers for my movie collection, create a folder for those trailers, and then add the media folder in the web client.  Then I assume I would have to navigate a separate media folder with all the downloaded trailers in it to view them.  This is not what I want.

I'm trying to find out if there is a way for Media Browser to automatically pull trailers from the internet.  I really don't care how or where they come from, and I don't care to download them myself either.  I just want to be able to preview a movie, before I watch it, via a nice little "Trailers" button right within the movie, as pictured above.  If it has to come from YouTube, so be it, I just don't want to exit Media Center and have to open up a browser to watch the trailer.  I don't want to have to pull out a mouse and keyboard either, since I'm sitting on my couch, relaxin' and using the Media Center remote.

Hopefully this Trailers Channel plug-in is what I am searching for, so could you please point me in the right direction to a download page.  I did search for it in the Downloads section, but did not find any such plug-in.

Appreciate all your help ebr.

Cheers!

Vidman

You assume wrong... The trailers plugin is installable from the web client under plugins/catalogue, it can be configured to download trailers from your existing collection as well which will download it the the folder of the movie and name it correctly from the server to access it (I think... As this functionally may have changed recently.. @@ebr? )

Edited by Vidman

• 2 weeks later...
turntablejunky

Hey guys, first and foremost, thank you very much for your continued effort to help me with this Media Browser and Trailers configuration.  I appreciate all your help, and I feel like I'm almost there to having this thing setup the way I want it.

So I downloaded the Trailers plugin as suggested, and I did get a separate Trailers folder in the Media Browser of Media Center.  Few issues though...

1. This added Trailers which is not consistent with the way I file my folders.  I use caps lock so TRAILERS would be preffered, if I must use a separate folder (like this) for them.

2. I still don't have trailers for my movie collection, and I don't see a 'Trailers' button within the actual movie screen in Media Browser.  Now, according to the screenshot I provided, there is no Play button, etc. as there normally is.  For some reason when I put Media Center into full screen mode, the Print Screen function gives me a black image when pasting to Gimp.  So I had to minimize the Media Center thus shrinking the buttons that normally appear here.  You can actually see them to the lower-left corner of the screen, below the Blu-Ray disc icon.  [Please see attached picture]

3. I'm seeing random trailers for movies I don't own in my personal collection, and yes I clicked on the Blu-ray Disc icon in Trailers.

Really hoping to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.  I can feel it, it is so close, yet so far...

Cheers, and thank you again for all the help.

~Andrej

548692f789de6_media2.png

5486934fc2cc4_media1.png

548693e60c41e_media3.png

The display issue with the buttons is because you have WMC in 4:3 mode.  Hold the ctrl key while you resize the window and it will snap to 16:9.

And, as for the local trailers, I'm afraid you caught us right in the middle of a transition.  There used to be a separate plug-in to download them but now that functionality is included in the regular trailers channel plug-in.  You will need to wait until it is released or install the dev line of the server and plug-in.

turntablejunky

Gothcha!  Thanks for the CTRL / resize tip.  Although not an issue for me, as I usually have full-screen output from my PC to projector display (when watching movies).  Though it will surely come in handy for other screen grabs in the future.

Thank you for your explanation of the pesky trailers issue.  I will patiently await for the release of the proper version.

Cheers, and many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.  You guys rock!

~Andrej