KarterJK

Just tried out the 8.1 Store App and here are my findings

running this on an i3 Acer laptop

server is  on different machine

movies are on network drives in VIDEO_TS format

• it connected and started great 
  • 90% percent of the movies run without a glitch
  •  
  • all the different subtitles show accept language doesn't show, reports unknown for all
  •   (switching to different subtitles works fine)
  •  
  • some dvd's play in the wrong language (not sure what language) and unable to switch or takes long time to switch
  •  
  • one dvd (2001: A Space Odyssey) starts playing at the documentary or commentary .. not the beginning of movie
  •  
  • and remote doesn't work (not sure if it is supposed to)

I really like it other than the language thing, I do have my language set in profile

I am encouraged that it plays the VIDEO_TS formats

with the MB Theater desktop  I must use an external player (VLC) to play the VIDEO_TS files

I am hoping the language thing can be sorted out

KarterJK

Unfortunately streaming of VIDEO_TS folders is considered experimental. The tools we depend on such as ffmpeg do not support them. That is why you see these issues. 

The only options are external players, if the app ever supports them, converting to plain video files, or waiting and placing some feature requests with the ffmpeg group.

Yes, we had discussed this in another post.  Just wishful Turkey Day thinking going through my head :)

Unfortunately streaming of VIDEO_TS folders is considered experimental. The tools we depend on such as ffmpeg do not support them. That is why you see these issues. 

The only options are external players, if the app ever supports them, converting to plain video files, or waiting and placing some feature requests with the ffmpeg group.