Old MB / WMC user with new build HTPC, no seperate server set-up??

byngo

HI folks, Ive been out of the scene for a couple of years now.

The original HTPC I set-up (also used for gaming) is about to have a major upgrade of components (two reasons, latest game specs and Win7 x64 instead of x86).

I've been quite happy running media browser (2) integrated with WMC to play my movie archives (mostly Bluray in ISO or MKV and some are 3D).

I do not have an kind of NAS or server. Its all in the one machine. Not really got much of a need for a server set-up to be honest.

So my Question.

Having realised that MB3  is out there I would have ploughed ahead and tried to emulate my old set up with Media Browser integration into WMC and using PowerDVD as an external player for all movie media.

Then I read the installation guide that said it assumed I had set up the server first and that's basically where I got lost.

I dont want a server for streaming my media to other devices around the home. Yes my TV has DLNA but its connected to the HTPC with a HDMI cable via a 7.2 channel AVR so no point streaming to it. Can the server still be my local HDD within the HTPC for MB3 Classic?

Do I need to stick with MB2 and my old WMC/powerdvd methods or should I go with MBT instead of WMC and probably be going through a whole new learning curve of having the right video and audio codecs, bitstreaming HD audio, sync issues, IR remote controls, subtitles and all else troubleshooting that comes with a new media player?

I feel like a right newbie now !! (or sleeping beauty after she woke up)

shaefurr

Yes, the server can run on the same PC. The server has streaming capabilities yes, but it still works fine locally on the same machine, thats actually how I have mine setup, it has the server and MBT running on it and I game on it.

I would give MBT a try, it has an automatic LAV install when you use it the first time, which covers all the codecs you need. Or you can stick with MB classic in WMC if you install a codec pack.

Edited by shaefurr