Connect

steve1977

steve1977

First of all, well done Luke and team to get Connect implemented.

One question: does MBS now integrate a webserver or how does it technically work? Would this conflict with my already installed Apache server? I don't see any reference to Connect in the settings. How to turn it on and off. Do I need to open any ports?

Thanks in advance!

Beardyname

err? MBS (mediabrowser server) since version 3.x has always included a server part which has always used it's own web-server?,

you know where you setup users and add media and such! :)

as standard it's running on port 8096, and mb-connect won't get activated unless you setup a user to use it

(server-dashboard --> users --> username : Media Browser username/email)

So if you can access your server from outside your local network already then you are all set for the connect part :)

steve1977

err? MBS (mediabrowser server) since version 3.x has always included a server part which has always used it's own web-server?,

you know where you setup users and add media and such! :)

as standard it's running on port 8096, and mb-connect won't get activated unless you setup a user to use it

(server-dashboard --> users --> username : Media Browser username/email)

So if you can access your server from outside your local network already then you are all set for the connect part :)

Thanks for your quick reply. Sure I knew that there was a server element (feeding clients such as MBT and the IOS clients).

How does MBS open the port 8096 without accessing the router or do I need to do this myself in the router? If I want to keep the port closed (and just use MBS inside my home network), how would I go ahead?

Beardyname

Thanks for your quick reply. Sure I knew that there was a server element (feeding clients such as MBT and the IOS clients).

How does MBS open the port 8096 without accessing the router or do I need to do this myself in the router? If I want to keep the port closed (and just use MBS inside my home network), how would I go ahead?

Yes you have to open that port yourself in the router OR enabled upnp, however if you want to use the connect feature you will have to have it open.

steps for disabling upnp: (dashboard --> server--> settings --> advanced --> "Enabled automatic port mapping")

steve1977

I think I got it. The "Enable automatic port mapping" allows to open the public port even without going into the router settings?

I now disabled this function, but the port 8096 still appears to be open (checked on http://canyouseeme.org/). Any ideas whether this is supposed to be always open or whether this has anything to do with MBS?

Thanks again!!!

Beardyname

I think I got it. The "Enable automatic port mapping" allows to open the public port even without going into the router settings?

I now disabled this function, but the port 8096 still appears to be open (checked on http://canyouseeme.org/). Any ideas whether this is supposed to be always open or whether this has anything to do with MBS?

Thanks again!!!

Correct :)

Did you restart MBS after saving this setting? if not try that, If that does not help either next thing to do is going into your router and check what happens there. (try restarting your router as-well since it might be cached etc)

If restarting MBS and your router and it's still showing as open on 8096 the problem most likely is that your router is allowing inbound connections anyway, and for that you might have to start digging through your routers firewall.

steve1977

Thanks for your yet again quick reply. Let me share with you what has triggered me looking into this.

I have open/forwarded port 80 in the router settings for a few years already (with Uniform Server / Apache). This has been working well and no flaws. It stopped working though 2-3 weeks ago and I am trying to find out why. I doubt it is related to MBS, but wanted to check. Interesting enough, port 8096 shows open and port 80 shows as non-reachable.

Any idea? Should have nothing to do with MBS Connect?

Beardyname

Hmm nope, I'm running a web-server on 80 as well. But yeah your server being unreachable should have nothing to do with Mb Connect. Hopefully  you can figure it out :)