Broken Indexes on MB Classic

aziz
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi Everyone,

This happened recently, but I don't know how long ago...  I have two issues, which I think are MB Classic issues, as the web interface works just fine....

I am using chocolate theme and have over 2300 movies..

1- View indexes broken (major issue).  Normal sort by name works.  But when I chose to view by YEAR (Not sort), first it freezes for about 15-25 seconds, then it only populates the first few years, leaving 90% of years empty.  So, for example, movies in 2014 would be empty, etc, etc..  The same is also true if I choose to view by Genre. 

2- Some movies have the wrong poster (Minor issue - about 15 out of the 2300 movies).  They appear to have a completely irrelevant backdrop instead of poster to a different movie, although when I check the meta data under metadata manager, the movie has all the correct images and posters.  When I use the web interface, the movies show the correct posters.

I have attached log files below on dropbox...

MB classic log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-112201427e766069be74ba1bf472954ca4d9c4e.log

MB Server log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/server-63553065731.txt

Many thanks

Your indexing requests are simply timing out.  I'm not sure why they would be now vs. any time in the past unless the way the server is fulfilling those requests has changed.  Try turning off show unplayed count on folders and see if that fixes that.

On the wrong image issue, I really don't know what is up with that.  Somehow, it appears we are getting a caching collision.  The only thing I can suggest would be to delete the imagecache folder under your MediaBrowser-Classic folder in ProgramData.

Hi Chief B.

I have recently backed up the MB server, and restored it on a separate machine, hence splitting the MB Classic from the MB Server (each on a different machine - they both used to live on the same PC)... could this be the issue??

Thanks for all your help..

Depending on the horsepower of the machine you put the server on and the speed of the network connection, it should be fine that way.

Did you try my suggestion?

Hi Chief B.,

The server PC is bad ass with i7, 16gb, 14tb raid and 1gig network between server and MB classic pc (asus board) :)  :D  :D , 

Your second suggestion to delete imagecache worked perfectly.. thanks for that :) ,

The first suggestion did not change anything.  I have turned off all indicators and that change nothing.  Interesting to note, when I enable Movie by Genre from main menu, then the index is correct, but sadly, there is no YEAR option.   So, this is still broken and timing out....

cheers.

Hi Chief B.

What do you think the best course of action to fix my views on MB Classic... ??  is there anything else I can do to fix this... thanks

Hi Again,

OK... I have just installed MB classic on another machine and I seem to have the same problem.  So, in conclusion... I think MB Classic is having issues with indexes when I use it via the server, as it worked fine when both were on the same machine, or at least that was the case in the past.

Any suggestions are welcome...

thanks

I'm not sure it has anything to do with being on the same machine or not but have you tried it on the server machine?

Ok.. I have bad news...

I have installed MB Classic on the server machine and it runs beautifully.  The indexes are built correctly, and the best part is there is no freeze for 15-25 seconds initially... I know it can't be access time as I am running a 1gig network,therefore, the client must be having a hard time between the server..  Could it be access right??  for example the client is trying to save the indexes to the server machine or something like this??  Apart from the movie location, does the client need to have access to any other part of the server??

thanks Chief B..

That is not necessarily bad news because it gives us something to go on.  It does point to something in the network chain.

A red message box with a moving line should come up while it is building the index.  Do you see this?

I can build an index by year on my 400 movie collection in a fraction of a second.  So, even though your collection is 6 times the size, it shouldn't take more than a couple seconds.

Do all the index options behave the same?

OK.. I have done some testing on both the server machine and client over the network.. here are the results..

MB Classic on server machine:

All the indexes are running as designed, with the red message box and the moving line showing.  I have noticed the time varies, for example, YEAR and GENRE takes less than a second for all 2300 movies.  Directors index takes almost 17 seconds, so does Actors and studios.  But it all works as expected and it does not "freeze" - i.e.  it shows you that it is working on your request by showing the redbox with moving line.

MB Classic over the network:

for YEAR and GENRE, the Red message box does appear for a split second, and then it builds the index (but empty) as it suppose to (i.e. it will show all the years that I have movies on, but they will all be empty), it then freezes for about 25 seconds, and then populate about 10-20 movies in the index in the early years.

for the other indexes, Director, studio, actor, etc, it shows the red message box with the line for longer, but it crashes (MB Classic) while it is indexing with what appears to be random messages, for example, sometimes MB Classic 3 not found, or another time it ask me to be a supported and then it crashes, and some other times, it does not crash, but gives me an empty index but with all the correct categories of indexes.. (so, it appears to struggle, then create the index, but cant populate all of it, it one populate about 10 movies... 

The good news is, I am the only one in the family who looks at year view, so no one else is suffering :o

I hope this helps.  let me know if you need me to provide any files or screen shots...

• Solution

Are you sure the difference between the installations isn't really their location but rather their options?  Maybe the one on the local machines is not showing the played indicators?

In any case, a change I just made in the dev line may help this.  Please try out .241 of MBC and see if it does.  Thanks.

• Like 1

OK.. I have two log files below.. one for MB Classic on server machine (working) and one on client across the network (broken).  I did exactly the same move on both machines.

Working (server PC)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/Working%20-%20MBClassic-7122014aeef7d87f57a4c4abaea38075aeeaa7f.log

Broken (across the network)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/Broken%20-%20MBClassic-712201465f894109cc34c35a7567b41f8127328.log

The configuration is different, as the one I use have screen saver and art works and other pluggin, but I made sure the play indicator options are the same...

thanks

Hey Chief B.

I have to admit my ignorance when it comes to trying out your new code (.241)... I finally understood it was on github, and I see it, but I am clue less on how to install it... what should I read to learn to install it from github??

thanks

You don't have to install it from git.  Just go into the Advanced pane of the config in MBC and set your System Update Level to Dev.  Then hit the "Check for Update" button and let it update.

• Like 1

Hey Chief B...  It is sweeeeeeet....

.241 works, and it is lighting fast for YEAR and GENRE.  It displays as expected and no freeze whatsoever.....

By STUDIO and DIRECTOR, it is still taking the same time (about 15 seconds, and I expect it is because there is a lot more to index) but it is working as well.  I don't use these, but I thought you might want to know the results.

By ACTOR does not seem to work, but I expect because it is still being worked at.. (again, I don't use this, but I thought you might want to know the feedback.).

I look forward to this release, and I am happy to know that a solution is already worked out... BIG THANKS for all the hard work.   Let me know if you need me to test anything else on this code..

Best regards.

OK...  I understand I am working with Dev code, and so it is little volatile.., so here is the results so far....

Out of maybe 30 tries, I only got DIRECTOR, STUDIO and ACTOR to work once.. unfortunately, I am not sure which log file it worked in, but it worked at least twice.. the first time was the first time I tried it, and the second was today after many tries...

But for the majority of the times, it comes back with Invalid Application, Unable to launch "media browser 3" error crash....

here is the latest log when it crashed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-812201454787078f5ff4b8f95ef283fd0557c89.log

and this log was from the first time I used this code, and it worked without crashing....

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/first%20time%20-%20MBClassic-7122014e8bad2a7daba43f8804383df036bd1ce.log

I hope this helps...

I see why by Director wouldn't be working well with that many movies but By Actor should be okay.  Can you just run once and index by Actor and post that log please?

OK...  I have tried indexing by ACTOR, but it keeps crashing also.. here is the process I did.

When I chose to index by ACTOR, the Red Bar with line appeared for less than a second, and then Alphabet letters appeared, but not populated as there was no names listed on the top left.  After about 15 seconds, list of names appeared on the top left under the small letter A.  When I chose the letter A to view more details, the app crashed with Invalid Application, Unable to launch "media browser 3" error.

here is the log file:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-9122014c45a60e3c1754a4fab543ae07d7c5552.log

I hope this helps

Okay that's something completely different.  Can you please give me the server log that matches that last classic log you posted.  Also, there should be an error or info item in your Windows Event log from the crash.  Thx.

I am a little new to all this, so if I post the wrong item or misunderstand a request, please feel free to explain in details.. :)

but here is the log file for the server for that time:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/server-63553685665.txt

and here the event log for that item under media center (I think)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/Event%20log.evtx

and here is a screen shot of the event log I think you want:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/Event%20log.PNG

let me know if there is anything else... 

Thanks that's everything I was looking for.  Interestingly, you got an Out of Memory Exception that caused the crash.  That is very odd.

But, the real issue is that, somehow, we are trying to request items that the server doesn't know exist and I don't see how that can be happening.

Does this happen on every letter or only "A"?

It appears to be random at the moment for example, here is what happened earlier...

I chose to index by ACTOR.  in split seconds the big Alphabet letters appeared after a the red box with the white line.

nothing got populated.. so I waited and noticed that every 10 - 20 seconds, a letter got populated and a list of names appeared on the top left corner.  and no freezing when moving between big letters

so, I waited until the whole alphabet got populated, and then chose letter H... and it took me to all the actors with letter H, and I could drill down further on few actors.

I then backed up to main level and chose another letter (I think I or J).. it then crashed with the usual invalid application error. (and event manager reports out of memory)

I then went back to MB classic, and the view was still on Actor, but this time to move from one letter to another gets frozen for about 10 seconds each time you move... when I chose a letter.. the whole thing crashed.

I went back again, and this time waited until about 7 letters populated, and chose letter B (or C, can't be sure), and I was able to drill down on some actors in that letter, and it did not crash.. but the freezing between letters still happened.  here is a log of when I waited for the whole thing to populate..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71775242/MBClassic-9122014e5033ff4d2bb4a72b3872259bfa3bcc7.log

hope this helps.