New HTPC, added MadVR and now finally really happy with playback

byngo

HI Folks,

Just thought Id give a thanks to the MBT devs and the help i found in the community.

My old set up was using MB2 for a few years gone by which I had got to a point I was happy with but now I have set-up a newly revamped HTPC I was back at square one and discovering the very different Media Browser that we have now.

I quickly realised that MBT would be a great app for me so have been playing with it to get it right for all my media collection of DVD and Bluray (mostly MKV and ISO)

however I couldn't get it right for everything and dropped frames / stutter was an issue with some.

Next decision was to add MadVR to the equation (which I had tried in past years but without much success)

Now I find that MBT with MadVr is perfect. A handful of dropped frames immediately after starting the movie but then steady as a rock. No dropped frames , no skipped frames, no presentation glitches reported.

I did end up turning off Smooth Motion though and setting up the allowable resolutions and frame rate switching in MadVR.

I even managed to "up the anti" with the the 3 Scaling Alogrythms to a "highest" quality setting I found in a MadVR guide. (Jinc 3 taps, anti-ringing and all that stuff).

Image looks great.

Merry Xmas.

• Like 1

chander421

Hi,

Thank you for these infos but could you explain exactly what you've done (things to install, configuration settings, useful links...) in order to achieve perfect playback with MadVR and MBT?

I'm very interested by MBT but dropped frames/stutter is also an issue for me...

Edited by chander421

As I remember it, "window mode new path" is not supported by AMD, it is only Nvidia? And FSE not supported by MBT. So if you have an AMD GPU, is madVR useless with MBT because MBT uses "window mode new path"

nodiaque

I simply use everything with mpc-hc and shark 007 codec, no stutter problem. I never use the internal one, was pretty limited when it began and I never changed my setup after.

@ Whitestrat13

Specs of revamped HTPC are as follows:

Win 7 x64 bit

FX8350 8 core @ 4ghz

8Gb 1600hz RAM

128GB Crucial SSD (OS and programs only)

Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 DDR5 1GB. (Might become an R9 270 sometime soon for newer games)

Edited by byngo