Forced Subtitles

theGeek

I'm using MBT and I am not getting the forced subtitles on MKVs to appear.  I'm new to MBT as I recently switched from MBC... how do I get this working? 

DingDong

I have been struggling with subtitles as well...trying to automatically view forced subs...

In my case I have been able to determine that the settings within MBT allow for subtitles to appear, however, for whatever reason they will not appear automatically as the "hide subtitle" option is selected by default within the "xy-subfilter - MadVR" settings. when I manually select "show subtitles" and select the correct forced subtitle to view, they appear. The problem is the "show subtitles" selection needs to be made manually every time you start a new movie.  I've set server and theater to deliver forced sub's only, but can't seem to find the override to have " show subtitles" set as the default...what am I missing?

Thanks      

I have been struggling with subtitles as well...trying to automatically view forced subs...

In my case I have been able to determine that the settings within MBT allow for subtitles to appear, however, for whatever reason they will not appear automatically as the "hide subtitle" option is selected by default within the "xy-subfilter - MadVR" settings. when I manually select "show subtitles" and select the correct forced subtitle to view, they appear. The problem is the "show subtitles" selection needs to be made manually every time you start a new movie.  I've set server and theater to deliver forced sub's only, but can't seem to find the override to have " show subtitles" set as the default...what am I missing?

Thanks      

Are you setting all this within MBT?  What version?  I don't think there has been anything labeled xy-subfilter for some time now.

make sure you have the latest version of MBT.  Go to Settings --> Video Player and select 'Enable Subtitles'.  Then click the 'Configure Splitter' button and select 'Enable Automatic Forced Subtitle Stream'.

This is what I have set and forced subs work fine and automatically.

DingDong

Are you setting all this within MBT?  What version?  I don't think there has been anything labeled xy-subfilter for some time now.

make sure you have the latest version of MBT.  Go to Settings --> Video Player and select 'Enable Subtitles'.  Then click the 'Configure Splitter' button and select 'Enable Automatic Forced Subtitle Stream'.

This is what I have set and forced subs work fine and automatically.Thanks 

Thanks for the response...

Yes I am setting all my settings from within MBT and MBS. I recently re-installed my OS and downloaded the current versions of both MBS and MBT (as of a couple of days ago). Everything has been set in MBT as per your quote above except in my case I set the "Filter Set" to Edge, which enables the xy-subfilter for MADVR (as opposed to the outdated filter). If you minimize MBT when playing a movie you will see the xy-subfilter icon in the Windows notification area (the lower right corner) if you right click that icon you will see the filters installed and it is there that I see xysubfilter with MADVR. It is also within that menu set that I see the "Hide subtitle" option selected and where I manually switch it over to "show subtitles". The same options appear with the other subtitle filter and it also defaults to hide subtitles. I have even downloaded and installed LAV and xy-subfilter to configure them outside of MBT and still it defaults to hide subtitle every time I play a movie. I am at a loss as to what is overriding the setting?

I'm not sure.  I didn't install anything outside of MBT and I have it configured as noted above. Are the 2 subtitle items I noted above still checked off when you go back into the video settings? What happens if you leave Fitler set at Stable?

Edited by foghat

DingDong

Yes the two subtitle settings are still checked off when I go back into MBT....

If I leave filter set to stable...I get the same result only using the xy-vsfilter

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the two subtitle settings are still checked off when I go back into MBT....

If I leave filter set to stable...I get the same result only using the xy-vsfilter

Thanks again!

Did you ever figure this out? The exact same thing is happening to me now. I spoke too soon above, I guess; at that point, I had not tried watching a movie with forced subs since installing and using madvr. Prior to using madvr, I had no problem with subtitles. You can select the forced sub from the OSD (where I can see it is set and default and forced), but that is a bit of a pain.

@@Luke, do you have any thoughts?

I've attached an mbt log.  As far as I can tell it is recognizing the forced streams?  But forced sub does not select by default.  sub stream is set and forced and default in the mkv.

And here is a shot of what xy-subfilter is showing.

post-1393-0-33145100-1420858647_thumb.jpg

theater-63556429577.txt

Edited by foghat

Okay, I have playing around a bit. I decided to check some old movies that I know played subs fine in the past. I have found a couple that do in fact work (default to the forced sub), but most do not.

I have checked the files in mkvmerge and the subtitle tracks are all setup the same. Forced = Yes, Default = yes.

I have no idea why the majority are not being selected by default anymore. At any rate, I no longer think this is a madvr issue. The ones that work, work both on my madvr and non-madvr machine. The ones that don't do not work on either machine. Something must have changed in MBT in one of the past versions.

Here is log file from one of the ones that works. Not sure if something is different between this and the one I posted above.

theater-63556435831.txt

Edited by foghat