Beta 3.0.5462.0 Throwing a massive number of errors on startup

thefirstofthe300

thefirstofthe300

When I restart MBS, I get "Error: SendFailure (Error writing headers)" when I navigate to the dashboard in the server. Also I get 

Version 3.0.5462.0

There was an error connecting to the remote Media Browser repository.
Running on port 8096.

Remote Access:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8096/mediabrowser

Thank you for supporting Media Browser.

In the Server Information on the dashboard.

I attached the log.

server-log.txt

looks like it's having trouble sending out http requests to https addresses. you might want to research that

thefirstofthe300

I just had a fairly large update that made a bunch of changes to the security libraries. Probably something got botched.

First problem related to an upgrade I have had in all my time running Arch.

thefirstofthe300

Are there any other server functions that use https?

I am trying to figure out if the problem is the encryption libraries or the server.

thefirstofthe300

I just used wget to download a tar.gz from the AUR via https so I think something is wrong with either the server or mono itself.

I'm seeing this same behavior with the new Docker build.  Everything else seems to function OK though besides server and plugin update checks.

The same happens on my Ubuntu 14.04 after updating to version 3.0.5462.0.

The logs shows that every call to the mb servers fails.

InnerException: System.Net.WebException
Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[System.Net.WebResponse].InnerInvoke (System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCompletionSource`1 tcs, System.Func`2 endMethod, IAsyncResult l) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
InnerException: System.IO.IOException
The authentication or decryption has failed.
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.AsyncHandshakeCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
InnerException: Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.ProcessAlert (AlertLevel alertLevel, AlertDescription alertDesc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.InternalReceiveRecordCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And I cannot recall installing any security update after upgrading MBS.

thefirstofthe300

The same happens on my Ubuntu 14.04 after updating to version 3.0.5462.0.

The logs shows that every call to the mb servers fails.

InnerException: System.Net.WebException
Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[System.Net.WebResponse].InnerInvoke (System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCompletionSource`1 tcs, System.Func`2 endMethod, IAsyncResult l) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
InnerException: System.IO.IOException
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.AsyncHandshakeCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
InnerException: Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.ProcessAlert (AlertLevel alertLevel, AlertDescription alertDesc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.InternalReceiveRecordCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And I cannot recall installing any security update after upgrading MBS.

Luke, this is the exact error I am getting.

So after some bits of reading I updated Monos cert cache via "mozroots --import --sync".

But that didn't change anything.

Edit: Importing the certs into the system wide cert cache didn't resolve the issue either: "mozroots --import --sync --machine"

Edited by Patric

Hmmm interesting observation on trying to import the MB servers certificates:

# certmgr -ssl -m https://connect.mediabrowser.tv
Mono Certificate Manager - version 3.10.1.0
Manage X.509 certificates and CRL from stores.
Copyright 2002, 2003 Motus Technologies. Copyright 2004-2008 Novell. BSD licensed.

X.509 Certificate v3
   Issued from: C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, OU=Root CA, CN=GlobalSign Root CA
   Issued to:   C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, CN=GlobalSign Domain Validation CA - SHA256 - G2
   Valid from:  20.02.2014 10:00:00
   Valid until: 20.02.2024 10:00:00
   *** WARNING: Certificate signature is INVALID ***
Import this certificate into the CA store ?

And:

# certmgr -ssl -m https://www.mb3admin.com
Mono Certificate Manager - version 3.10.1.0
Copyright 2002, 2003 Motus Technologies. Copyright 2004-2008 Novell. BSD licensed.

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed.
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslClientStream.EndNegotiateHandshake (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed.
  at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslClientStream.EndNegotiateHandshake (IAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What is happening...?

thefirstofthe300

Is it possible to delete the certs and then reimport them? I haven't ever had to deal with SSL certificates.

@ you could check the syntax with "man mozroots". The "--sync" parameters is actually reimporting them (I think).

But I'm with you. I never had to deal with the certs before. Perhaps it's a sideeffect of the Sony hack :)

thefirstofthe300

Gahhh........This is driving me batty.

I even deleted the place where the certificates should be stored, reimported and absolutely nothing.

@@Luke Here are my certmgr errors:

[root@Iron-Man daniel]# certmgr -ssl -m https://connect.mediabrowser.tv
Mono Certificate Manager - version 3.10.0.0

X.509 Certificate v3
   Issued from: C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, OU=Root CA, CN=GlobalSign Root CA
   Issued to:   C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, CN=GlobalSign Domain Validation CA - SHA256 - G2
   Valid from:  2/20/2014 10:00:00 AM
   Valid until: 2/20/2024 10:00:00 AM
   *** WARNING: Certificate signature is INVALID ***
Import this certificate into the CA store ?Y

X.509 Certificate v3
   Issued from: C=BE, O=GlobalSign nv-sa, CN=GlobalSign Domain Validation CA - SHA256 - G2
   Issued to:   C=US, OU=Domain Control Validated, CN=connect.mediabrowser.tv
   Valid from:  9/11/2014 8:46:20 PM
   Valid until: 9/12/2015 8:46:20 PM
Import this certificate into the AddressBook store ?Y

2 certificates added to the stores.

[root@Iron-Man daniel]# certmgr -ssl -m https://www.mb3admin.com
Mono Certificate Manager - version 3.10.0.0

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed.
Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

After importing the connect certificates, the server is able to contact connect just fine.  No errors.

It looks like the problem is with the mb3admin.com certificate itself.

Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

Looking back at my logs, it looks like I have always been connecting to MB Connect but not to mb3admin.

Hmm, first we need to know why the certificates throw those errors.

The first GlobalSign cert should definately be valid.

Interested if Luke could shed some light on this.

thefirstofthe300

OK.  This is a little odd (I think). I just downgraded to the stable and everything works like it should. 

thefirstofthe300

The latest beta has fixed most of the errors.

The only one left is sending anonymous usage statistics. I noticed that you had to switch from https to http though.  :(

I will gladly provide any help that I can.

Hmm, then I'll have to wait until the new release get's pushed to the Ubuntu repository.

@ did you try to run the new beta with the cert cache purged? Just curious...

thefirstofthe300

So, just updated to 3.0.5463.3000.

But the https security issues are still there. :(

Yeah. Same here.  Any https request to mb3admin throws an error.  Happens with the donation page.

I no longer see the issue with the 3.0.5463.3000 docker build.

Edit: Spoke too soon.  I see it on the donation page as well.  Updates seem to be ok now though.

Edited by mezz64