MBC transcoding from local server

wolfbuddy
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

wolfbuddy

Any ideas why MBC is trying to transcode from my Linux server on a LAN, instead of playing it directly?

All folders have 777 permissions, so permissions shouldn't be causing this? Hopefully it's some simple setting I've missed.

Cheers

• Solution

Probably because it cannot access the path as defined on the server.  If it is linux you will need to setup path substitution to turn the paths into UNC paths the Windows machine can see.

Please start a new thread for a new problem and provide exact details about what you mean by "crash" and, if WMC is shutting the program down, the Windows Event log error.

wolfbuddy

Yes, WMC is reporting that MBC has become unresponsive and that the whole of WMC has to be restarted.

I'm sorry but I just don't have the time to report 'every' bug in a new thread with lots of log files.

mediaGuy

I have everything setup as UNC paths and 95% of the time it works great.

Every now and then it seems I have to restart my system to fix MBC starting to transcode all my files.

Normal:

2014-12-18 20:43:17.2308,Info,,Internal Player about to play Tinker(\\MainServer\Kids\Tinker\Tinker.mkv) ,44,Worker thread for Play Action

Transcoding:

2014-12-18 20:06:52.3628,Info,,Internal Player about to play Tinker(http://192.168.0.114:8096/mediabrowser/videos/adc1d3af6ee904033091738b15dd81c1/stream.asf?Params=;508661a9b8864a1b85f99d4222d086d7;adc1d3af6ee904033091738b15dd81c1;false;msmpeg4;wmav2;1;;9872000;128000;2;;;;0;;635545480123628000;; ,44,Worker thread for Play Action

In the Server log I see MBS spawning ffmpeg with "file:\\MainServer\Kids\Tinker\Tinker.mkv" so it's still using the UNC correct.

Where's the button to say force UNC and no transcoding in MBC?

Edited by mediaGuy

There is no button.  If it is streaming then that means the MBC machine was not able to directly access the file at the time of playback.  Does your media server or its drives sleep?

mediaGuy

No, the NAS never sleeps.

I'm struggling to understand how it thinks it can't connect when the ffmpeg call uses the UNC name and the file actually plays. If the UNC was incorrect or the NAS was asleep, then the file wouldn't be available to transcode either.

it uses a basic operating system method to determine if the path is accessible from the MBC machine or not. the ffmpeg call is not related in anyway. it is happening on another machine, from another application, so it really can't be compared.

MBS/ffmpeg is on the same machine as MBC.

I'd love to just force MBC to use the UNC somehow.

But they may be running under different Windows user accounts.

MBC already uses the UNC path.  If it is streaming, it means that it wasn't able to access that UNC path.

Oh, this is happening on an extender?

Extenders run under hidden user accounts with passwords so you have to setup full guest access to your media locations for them to be able to see them.  It is possible some of your media locations don't have this privilege which would explain the inconsistent behavior.

mediaGuy

I have scripts setup to log each extender into the proper account.

All media locations have the same access and work most of the time.

There's the odd occasion when they just stop working and a reboot of the HTPC fixes it. That's what I'm trying to fix. It's not an issue with the shares themselves.