Beta 3.1.0

7illusions

7illusions

Next round up.

Goals for this version is OfflineSync.

Latest Build: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=315DEE41F7FEA2E7!111185&authkey=!APcywDuaMn-xSyw&ithint=file%2czip

Here we go!!

Offline sync is now added to the app.

To create a sync from device, bring up the bottom appbar and press the sync button, select your settings and click ok.

When the app has been connected to the server once you will also see it as a sync-target in webclient and can configure syncjobs from there.

Once the Sync Preparation task is started  and finished on the server, restart  the app and sync will run in the background.

(You can trigger the task manually, if you don't fancy waiting, in Dasboard ->  Advanced -> Scheduled Tasks)

IMPORTANT!!

Requires the latest beta-server!!

Changes:

Lots and lots of refactoring.

Support for OfflineSync

Mark Seasons as Watched/Unwatched

Collapse movies into boxsets (User preference)

Display missing episodes & seasons (User preference)

Display Unaired episodes (User preference)

UserPreference view

Remove server from Detected servers list (Tap&Hold / RightClick)

Shuffle All / Play All in Video and Audio genres views

Shuffle All / Play All in Show and Season

Sync-job management

Background Sync, as long as there's AC power connected to the device, it will try to sync every 3rd hour

Tile-Icons touchup 

Sync, File delete. If a job is deleted from the server, the client will remove the files.

Offline browsing and playback for Videos, TvShows and Music

Instant Mix

Play All from here

Edited by 7illusions

• 3 weeks later...
Vicpa

Hi All Happy New Year!

I thought I would put up feedback about my adventures in transcode and streaming profile land. I think it is safe to say the more I looked at it the less I understood how it is supposed to work. :) So bare with me if I state the obvious or am clueless. I also understand this is a work in progress. This maybe a little long winded as well.

Objective: maximize playback on a win 8.1 htpc i5 intel hd graphics 12g mem, SSD. attached to a 50inch TV, and HDMI to a sony receiver for sound. Wired Gig Ethernet to server. Win 8.1 i3 16gmem ssd. Silicon Dust HD homerun.

Obvious best picture, best sound, for now. Worry about cpu bandwidth etc next. App settings max quality (although played around with 1080p setting) server transcode setting best quality.

General observations.

1) Try as I could I couldn't seem to figure out how, or if and where the "<ProtocolInfo>" settings are interpreted.  If someone can point me to that it may help.

2) There is a music streaming setting <MusicStreamingTranscodingBitrate> but that doesn't seem to effect audio br when transcoding TV and video. I set that to 480000 but seems to have no effect.

3) I couldn't determine how multiple codecs were parsed. audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3,pcm" videoCodec="h264,mpeg4". For ts streams, HLS or "regular" it seems that only the fist one is chosen regardless of the source.  

4) I couldn't get "alternate" streams to work unless I commented out the HLS info.

Like I said confused, betting if I understood "ProtocolInfo" it be an ahah moment.

All that being said, brute force has generally given me the output I was looking for. StreamingProfile.xml

The only thing my changes seem to do is force all audio to AC3. Which in most cases is fine, but it appears to be a transcode vs a -copy which is what I was shooting for. Where it is problematic is DTS it happily makes that AC3 as well.

Some examples:

transcode-1080p.txt, transcode-Max Quality.txt,transcode-MKV aC3 2.0.txt,transcode-MKV Alt St Max quality.txt

The mkv ac3 2.0 is interesting, it copies the video, transcodes audio. I am correct in assuming if the source is 720p a video -copy happens? it seems to transcode at 1920x1080 even though the source is h.264.

Is there a way to have -copy for both video and audio for mkvs? It is just a container change until windows can direct play mkvs. ( I know there is more to it than that, LOL). Here is another thing I am confused about, Media Foundation supports AC3 up to TrueHD ?. My receiver shows an Dolby 5.1 2.0 audio input. Does the app or Windows know it is going out hdmi and not try to decode it? Because it would show up as multi channel PCM if I am reading stuff correctly. If that's the case what happens if you send DTS or dca. Believe me I tried, some -experimental parameters need to be set. Can't seem to find that log.

Funny, I thought mkv's was the easy one. I need a break will post a part 2 about Live tv. Buffer Pool sizes, the art of # of key frames per chunk and weird codecs needs it own space.

Thanks

-Vicpa

7illusions

The profiles are filled with a lot of data which is from the base-profile, like all the DLNA parameters <ProtocolaInfo> etc.

The only values that will make a difference are:

DirectPlayProfiles

TranscodingProfiles

CodecProfiles

However, there has been a bug in the existing profile.. It will be fixed in the alpha which will be available in this thread in a few hours time.

If you can then make your change and try again, it would be great.

7illusions

New build.

Changes:

Refactoring

Collapse movies into boxsets

Sync Flyout changes

techywarrior

Collapse movies into boxsets

Is this an option? Or does it use the server side setting?

At minimum I hope there is a setting to turn it on/off because some of the "boxsets" that TMDB creates are really abstract and make finding movies hard.

techywarrior

cool!

I don't know if you looked at the post I had with Scott but does the Win8.1 app have a method of deleting old servers from the login list? I need to try it tonight but if not that should get added at some point.

I have 3 versions of the "same" server in the WP8 app, and probably the same in your app, and I need to remove them to prevent confusion. The reason I ended up with so many is that I had my server on my HTPC, then moved it to my NAS before settling on putting it on a dedicated machine. Since the machines had different names (sometimes) and more likely different MBS id's they show up as unique servers in the app lists.

swhitmore

Sorry I was planning on testing this last night, but had big issues with the latest server build. I'll post some logs in the other thread in a sec.

Edited by swhitmore

Vicpa

7 hope we haven't run out of illusions. Pretty great :) ! 

I guess it is only fair that we have to do a little work, LOL. As I said I will try anything. TV stream is great. Matter of fact you can probably reduce  the size of the buffering on the app end, latency on starting is what I am referring to maybe it isn't buffering. Straight ts is better than hls, for tv need to look more at mkv,s I know you need to sort out the time scaling for movie playback and resume points  hope that is doable. DTS was a no go, unless there is more magic to come, hey I can always hope. else a fall back audio codec is needed.

Others may see different results..quality is always a little subjective.

I can't seem to get the switch to work for HLS or No HLS. I have been just commenting it out. When you are ready let me know the scenarios of stream vs transcode you want tested.  Tell Luke you need another log type "stream" , transcode just doesn't seem to always fit.

StreamingProfile "full blast"  - StreamingProfile.xml

"streaming  tv"  transcode-6413690b-e9f3-483c-bb70-95333f769a8a.txt

Thanks for your hard work.

I will take a look at sync, but haven't been really following it. Will give it a go.

7, i thought store apps had a very limited codec feature set and do not vary that much from one device to another?

techywarrior

VLC was released as a Win8.1 app recently with a lot of codec support. From the sounds of it it wasn't that easy to accomplish but it is possible at least.

well that's different because they've embedded their own decoders. what i'm wondering is, for apps that use the native video player, is the supported format list the same for every device?

swhitmore

Just started testing this. Working well so far, and the first movie is syncing right now. I just noticed though, I closed the app the first time, but because of the way Windows tombstones apps, I had to close it a second time, then open it again to start the sync. Another thing I noticed, was if I go to the movie that I set to sync (and is currently syncing), the option to sync it is still there, rather than 'unsync'

swhitmore

Is it possible to get a progress bar? Also, I remember back when you first worked on this, you had the option to choose a sync location. Is that still possible?

Thanks for your hard work guys. For someone who regularly works away like I do, this feature is a huge deal.

7illusions

well that's different because they've embedded their own decoders. what i'm wondering is, for apps that use the native video player, is the supported format list the same for every device?

It should be the same.

7illusions

Is it possible to get a progress bar? Also, I remember back when you first worked on this, you had the option to choose a sync location. Is that still possible?

Thanks for your hard work guys. For someone who regularly works away like I do, this feature is a huge deal.

Progressbar will come, sooner or later.

As for selecting location.. It's how win8 handles filesystem access that's a PAIN!!

I will solve it, but at the moment we will have to live with the application storage.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Ah ok. I'm just trying to sync a video, but I'm not sure if it's working or not.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Hey. Fantastic work! I was able to sync and play a movie and a TV Show. I figured out that I still need to be connected to the server, which is ok since just being connected shouldn't use much bandwidth. Is there anything in particular you would like me to test?

Vicpa

Hi,

It looks like the new "usnet" media type isn't working with the app. I have one unset library. simple file structure.

Library

Location  \\xxxx\kids

folders        \movies

\movie 1 name

xyz.ext    (follows naming conventions and is properly ID'd)

\tv

\Showname

tv stuff season folders etc. ((follows naming conventions and is properly ID'd)

library is unchecked for combine. Unckecked for show in lastest.

The web client respects this format.

Issues:

--The app combines all the content in the standard movie and tv views.

--TV shows are unreachable. From either the TV view or "Kids" view. You can drill down as far as a season but shows are not displayed.("Library" -> show ->season -> nothing.)

Don't know if app or api problem sure it will get sorted. Given the buzz on the gen forums sure is a showstopper.

Vicpa

Hi @@swhitmore

Doesn't having being connected to the server defeat the purpose of local content ? Just trying to get my head around the uses cases for testing sync.

swhitmore

Hi @@swhitmore

Doesn't having being connected to the server defeat the purpose of local content ? Just trying to get my head around the uses cases for testing sync.

Well it still plays the videos locally. For example, on Monday I travel to the mines where bandwidth is very limited (also my home upload speeds are shit), but I should still be able to at least connect to the server. I can then play the video and have it play locally.