Cable Card Tuner Suggestions

econ

I am looking at purchasing a cable card tuner to integrate within MB.  Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any?  Currently I was looking at the HD HomeRun Prime, Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-3250, and the Centon InfiniTV 6 ETH but am open to others.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_dcr3250.html

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/

I currently am running live tv within MB using over the air broadcasts and have been thoroughly impressed with how well it runs.

I think each one has pros/cons but I can definitely vouch that the HDHomerun Prime is a very solid device that just works. The downside vs the ceton equivalent is you only get 3 tuners per cablecard. For me though having a device that works all the time was worth that.

I think 3 tuners is plenty for me.  I am more worried about the quality of the picture and reliability of the device.

I use the HD HomeRun Plus for my over the air channels and have had no issues.

What is your experiences with the buffering/transcoding with the Prime?

I think 3 tuners is plenty for me.  I am more worried about the quality of the picture and reliability of the device.

I use the HD HomeRun Plus for my over the air channels and have had no issues.

What is your experiences with the buffering/transcoding with the Prime?

When you say buffering/transcoding you mean using it via MB and ServerWMC or just within Windows Media Center? I can't vouch for the former as I don't use MB Live TV for various reasons, but using Windows Media Center its rock solid these days. Channel tuning is quick (1-2 seconds I'd say) no issues really that I can speak to. And also their new HDHomerun View app while in beta is pretty nice, and is another way to view live tv pretty well for windows devices that don't have WMC (e.g. I have a Windows 8.1 tablet and using that it can stream HD channels pretty well, with my wireless network being the only limiting factor but overall it's quite watcheable).

The buffering transcoding I am talking about is through MB.  I mostly watch via the web and roku.  Currently using the HD Homerun Plus using over the air it sometimes takes 15 seconds or so to start.  I know this was an issue talked about in other posts.  Wasn't sure if it would be better/worse/same with the cable card.

I know the homerun plus transcodes on the device itself vs the homerun prime does not have transcoding.  Would this increase the buffering time to watch a channel via MB using the prime? Never quite understood what took precedence as far as transcoding - the device or MB?

The buffering transcoding I am talking about is through MB.  I mostly watch via the web and roku.  Currently using the HD Homerun Plus using over the air it sometimes takes 15 seconds or so to start.  I know this was an issue talked about in other posts.  Wasn't sure if it would be better/worse/same with the cable card.

I know the homerun plus transcodes on the device itself vs the homerun prime does not have transcoding.  Would this increase the buffering time to watch a channel via MB using the prime? Never quite understood what took precedence as far as transcoding - the device or MB?

I gave up using my HDHomerun via Media Browser because I've found that other than Media Browser Classic most of my file types transcode even when it doesn't have to (compared to Plex). 

myridianphoe

The buffering transcoding I am talking about is through MB. I mostly watch via the web and roku. Currently using the HD Homerun Plus using over the air it sometimes takes 15 seconds or so to start. I know this was an issue talked about in other posts. Wasn't sure if it would be better/worse/same with the cable card.

I know the homerun plus transcodes on the device itself vs the homerun prime does not have transcoding. Would this increase the buffering time to watch a channel via MB using the prime? Never quite understood what took precedence as far as transcoding - the device or MB?

Have you been able to get MB working on the Roku? There's a mediaportal plugin within the unsupported channels inside PLEX but I'm unable to get it working. I'm pretty new to all this and I'm sure this is an old discussion, but so far I haven't had any luck finding out this information. I'm hoping that it's presence in the unsupported channels suggests that there is some possible way to get it working.

Have you been able to get MB working on the Roku? There's a mediaportal plugin within the unsupported channels inside PLEX but I'm unable to get it working. I'm pretty new to all this and I'm sure this is an old discussion, but so far I haven't had any luck finding out this information. I'm hoping that it's presence in the unsupported channels suggests that there is some possible way to get it working.

I don't own a Roku but there is now an "official" MB app for it. You're best bet is checking the Roku forum.

Deihmos

I don't use live tv in MB3 but the Homerun Prime is great with WMC. I have yet to found anything that works as well.

If you are looking for a cable card there is really no other option to consider but the homerun prime.

Edited by Deihmos

• 3 years later...
Scott D

Be sure that you have the option to return whatever you decide on.  I recently tried to install an HDHomerun on the COX cable network.  Because of their change to all digital, the tuner was unable to pick up any of the channels.  Even with the Cable card installed.  Not sure if I got a bad cable card, but after a full day of playing around with it, took it all back.

I have had great luck with the Hauppauge line of tuners for over the air signals.  They used to work great with cable when cable was using Clear QAM.  

I have yet to try the new Hauppauge support within Emby, but with NextPVR and plug-in it works great.  It is a processor hog when streaming.  While my server is not the fastest thing on the block, I can get 3 different streams going before maxing out the processor.

When setting up the Hauppauge, I have found that it is best to start by getting the Hauppauge software installed and running first.  Reboot the machine.  Then install NextPVR and get it working properly.  Reboot the machine.  Then install the plug-in in Emby.  Reboot again.  Go back into Emby and do a Refresh Guide task.  It may take a bit of time for it to fully populate, but it will.

Good luck.

revengineer

Be sure that you have the option to return whatever you decide on.  I recently tried to install an HDHomerun on the COX cable network.  Because of their change to all digital, the tuner was unable to pick up any of the channels.  Even with the Cable card installed.  Not sure if I got a bad cable card, but after a full day of playing around with it, took it all back.

Yes, you either had a bad cable card or bad tech support. I got my HD Homerun cable card tuner to work right away on comcast but there are tons of reports of the Silicondust forum where the problem was an incorrectly staged cable card or an uninformed low-level tech support person. Those forums list phone numbers for higher level tech support and I would start there if a problem occurs.

Scott D

Yes, you either had a bad cable card or bad tech support. I got my HD Homerun cable card tuner to work right away on comcast but there are tons of reports of the Silicondust forum where the problem was an incorrectly staged cable card or an uninformed low-level tech support person. Those forums list phone numbers for higher level tech support and I would start there if a problem occurs.

If I recall, my problem had to do with all of the channels on COX being locked down by/with DRM.  I was able to get about 6 channels but all others were locked due to DRM.  I may be wrong, it's been a few months and I have moved on.

revengineer

If I recall, my problem had to do with all of the channels on COX being locked down by/with DRM.  I was able to get about 6 channels but all others were locked due to DRM.  I may be wrong, it's been a few months and I have moved on.

Viewing of DRM channels in HD Homeruns apps is limited to Windows 10 and XBox. My understanding is that this limitation is imposed by the cable industry because other platforms would allow the stream to be siphoned off to circumvent copy protection. It used to work on Android as well but not anymore. Needless to say, it does not work through emby. The cable companies are shooting themselves in the foot. If you were using the Windows 10 or XBox app and you could not view those channels, then the cable card was staged incorrectly. If I remember correctly, COX DRMs almost everything which makes life tough. I am on Comcast and they only DRM premium channels like HBO. This still sucks but it is a workable problem.

Scott D

Viewing of DRM channels in HD Homeruns apps is limited to Windows 10 and XBox. My understanding is that this limitation is imposed by the cable industry because other platforms would allow the stream to be siphoned off to circumvent copy protection. It used to work on Android as well but not anymore. Needless to say, it does not work through emby. The cable companies are shooting themselves in the foot. If you were using the Windows 10 or XBox app and you could not view those channels, then the cable card was staged incorrectly. If I remember correctly, COX DRMs almost everything which makes life tough. I am on Comcast and they only DRM premium channels like HBO. This still sucks but it is a workable problem.

Yes, this was the case for me.  I was able to view on a few devices, but unable to integrate with Emby.  Since the OP was looking for advice on integration, thought I would throw my experience out there.

I was looking to replace a SlingBox (SlingPlayer) that I have been using for years with a WD Live player.  With the death of the WDTV line I have been moving away from that option.  Unfortunately, Emby does not support the SlingPlayer, and I don't see that changing.  So, at the moment, I have side-by-side boxes.

I would imagine that most cable/sat. services will start doing the same with the DRM.  Too much money going out the back door if they don't lock down all of the home shopping channels and reality tv trash.  Having to rent a little box for $5 a month just to attach a spare bedroom tv is nuts.  

If only the aim was more toward their heads and not toward their feet. I'd even supply the bullet.

Senna

What are the average response times loading a channel in Emby for US based HDHomeRun users, on different Emby clients like Apple TV (4/4K), Xbox One ?