Bluray 3D to MKV 1:1?

DigiTM

I am looking at converting all my ISO to mkv since MB will function better with this container.  How do I convert my Bluray 3D ISO movies to mkv container whilst keeping the full resolution 3D.

Ohh I would love some details about which tool in DVDFab you use to create 3D mkv, and with which player you can play it? I have read quite some forums some time ago but never quite got it right... More specifically, is tehre a way to then watch the 3D mkv on a 3D TV set (either Sony with active glasses, or LG with passive glasses), without having to buy a Nvidia 3D package?

thanks in advance

Edited by Morgian

I have tried DVDFab, but I can only seem to do SBS or OU.  And if I just do straight to mkv then I lose the 3D and just have 2D.  There has to be program to preserve the MVC part of the 3D Movie and integrate it into mkv.  Handbrake looks good but confusing.

Anybody try MakeMKV (for Windows)?

http://www.makemkv.com

Just tried this one.  Works perfect.  Also sees the MVC part of the 3D title and does that as well.  However need a Stereoscopic player to view in 3D.  Hoping MediaBrowser Theatre will have 3D mkv playback integrated.  I am finding mkv 200% quicker to load than ISO through the network.  I am having all my ISO's done to mkv keeping HD Audio and 1:1 copies, cannot see a difference from the original.

• Like 1

crashkelly

Just tried this one.  Works perfect.  Also sees the MVC part of the 3D title and does that as well.  However need a Stereoscopic player to view in 3D.  Hoping MediaBrowser Theatre will have 3D mkv playback integrated.  I am finding mkv 200% quicker to load than ISO through the network.  I am having all my ISO's done to mkv keeping HD Audio and 1:1 copies, cannot see a difference from the original.

Still doing the conversion as well from ISO to MKV. Works great and is fast, but after about 100+ re-rips it is starting to get painful .... :(

Still doing the conversion as well from ISO to MKV. Works great and is fast, but after about 100+ re-rips it is starting to get painful .... :(

It is painful, at least it's quick.  Also after some time it feels like your on a factory assembly line.  :wacko:

crashkelly

It is painful, at least it's quick.  Also after some time it feels like your on a factory assembly line.  :wacko:

I hear you on that one. The previously ripped ISOs fly through MKV but it makes it so you have no time to do anything else .... except browse the forum maybe ;)

Might try the automated one as well.  Although I am a slight control freak, so leaving control to automation might drive me batty.  I will keep thinking "did it get the forced subs?", "did it select the right track?" etc.

Also got MakeMKV to do the 3D Bluray keeping the 3D MVC in the mkv.  Problem is no player plays it as 3D.  If MediaBrowser added CoreMVC codec into the inbuilt MBT player, you'd be the first before XBMC do it.

crashkelly

Havent tried it but this may speed it up for you

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6556

Kudos to you my friend for this find as this tool kicks a$$.

For me there is a bit more "after-work" as the ISO I am converting are stored on drives that are pretty much full so I cannot convert to the source directory, but other than that this tool is awesome.

My biggest attempt was 20 ISO for batch converting, had to stop there as that was all the destination drive would hold, and it breezed through that like nothing.

Thank you again for pointing me towards this :D

Cheers

All 4x 2Tb hard drives have just failed on one of my NAS boxes while doing the automated process  :(

Cannot believe all 4x failed at the same time.  Now Windows in disk management is saying I need to initialise them.

Partly my fault, I shouldn't have gone WD Green drives.

Edited by DigiTM

crashkelly

All 4x 2Tb hard drives have just failed on one of my NAS boxes while doing the automated process  :(

Cannot believe all 4x failed at the same time.  Now Windows in disk management is saying I need to initialise them.

Partly my fault, I shouldn't have gone WD Green drives.

Do you have something besides the NAS to test the drives in? Would be quite unusual, not impossible but unusual, for all 4 to go at the same time.

My main PC has a HDD dock on top, so far tested 3 out of the 4 with HDD tests including Crystal, and all are passing the hardware tests.  

Noticed a burning smell coming from the NAS, 8 month old expensive Synology.   :angry: 

Yet I still have my cheaper DLink 4 Bay running nonstop after 3 years.  Just shows just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better.

My main PC has a HDD dock on top, so far tested 3 out of the 4 with HDD tests including Crystal, and all are passing the hardware tests.  

Noticed a burning smell coming from the NAS, 8 month old expensive Synology.   :angry:

Yet I still have my cheaper DLink 4 Bay running nonstop after 3 years.  Just shows just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better.

If you do replace them, I've been using the WD Red drives with my Synology. Been running almost 2 years no problems.

It was the last WD Green Drive, it looks like the PCB is burnt.  HDD Tests can still see the drive, but only just.  176,000 hours it says, so guess that's not too bad.  Maybe I should start looking at replacing a drive every few years just in case.

crashkelly

It was the last WD Green Drive, it looks like the PCB is burnt.  HDD Tests can still see the drive, but only just.  176,000 hours it says, so guess that's not too bad.  Maybe I should start looking at replacing a drive every few years just in case.

That is not too bad for a drive, I think it has paid its dues.

Unfortunately I am in the same place with about half of my drives. Bought 6 2TB Seagate green drives all within about a month span. A couple of them are starting to be a bit flaky so it might be time to be proactive and replace before I regret.

Cheers

Guest HenryWaxmansNostrils

176,000 hours can that be right for a 2 tb drive. That's 20 years . They weren't even making 20 gig drives back then . Or am I missing something

• Like 2

crashkelly

176,000 hours can that be right for a 2 tb drive. That's 20 years . They weren't even making 20 gig drives back then . Or am I missing something

Nice catch ;)

Never thought of that, must be a bad reading. Running FlexRaid, so this will be the first time I need to put this software to the test and see if no data got lost at all. Was on RAID 5.

crashkelly

Never thought of that, must be a bad reading. Running FlexRaid, so this will be the first time I need to put this software to the test and see if no data got lost at all. Was on RAID 5.

Would be very interested to know your results as I will be running flexRAID on my next system

Thanks