New User -- Metadata Questions

the-dumb1

the-dumb1

Hi folks.  I "converted" from competing software due to lack of support for a metadata-related feature.  I have videos which don't show up in online databases and I want to be able to specify the actors in each of these videos.  Additional information: I've set the type of videos to be "home videos". 

In the end, I want to be able to see what movies each of these actors play in.  Your competitor does not provide me the capability to edit metadata related to actors--but MediaBrowser DOES!  Hallelujah, right?

Ok, so here's where I struggle and I think this might be a feature request for two different things:

1.  If I click on a movie and see the actors, then click on the actors, I want to see more than just information about the actor.  I want to see what other movies the actor plays in.  This seems to be possible with the Media Browser Classic client, but not the web client.

2.  If I search for the actor, I'd also like to see the movies that actor plays in listed as well.

And finally: what is the point of specifying a tag if I cannot search for it, and it is not listed in the movie listing?

Looking forward to using MediaBrowser.  So far I like what I see far and beyond the competitors software.

Edited by timid1

Happy2Play

For adding an actor you just need to add the actor to People in Metadata Manager for that Movie.

Test example

549609187aae2_added.jpg

1 and 2 are already possible in the web client but it only lists movies in your media collection.  Your People may not be fully updated yet.

example

5496092ec9789_actor.jpg

Currently you can only filter by tags Shows or Movies - hit the 3 dots -  then Filter

Note when saving tags you need to ensure you hit the (+) to add the tag, then hit save in Metadata Manager.

549609424d13d_filter2.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

the-dumb1

Happy2Play, thank you for the detailed explanation along with the screenshots!   Unless I missed something, it doesn't look like what I want to do is possible with "home videos."  For exampple, the filters you listed in your example aren't visible to me.   Similarly, when I click on an actor I created in more than one movie, I don't get a listing of the other movies that actor plays in.

Is this a limitation of "home videos"?  Is there a workaround?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks a bunch!

the-dumb1

Some answer is better than no answer.  ;-)  This is what I like about MediaBrowser.  At least there's acknowledgement ... instead of crickets!  Thanks!

Happy2Play

Looks like it all related to "Home Videos". 

549610cb43adb_addedactor.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

What Vidman said.  Try classifying them as movies.  Some of them may get mis-identified as the wrong thing, but you could then delete the provider IDs and lock the metadata for that item and then it won't happen again.  That should get you all the movie features.

the-dumb1

I didn't realize that classifying them as movies would be viable.  I'm excited!

Thanks for the help guys .... getting responses from admins makes a world of difference.  Makes me actually WANT to support the project financially.  ;-)

the-dumb1

No sense in starting a new thread since this really IS metadata related.... but is it possible to bulk edit metadata?  For example, if I have 100 videos who are produced by the same studio, is it possible to edit all 100 at the same time?