Need tutorial - App won't connect

HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

I have been using MediaBrowser on my HTPC for years and am a supporting member.

I just bought the app for my phone and can't get connected.

There is nothing under Choose Server except "enter details manually". I guessed at the port number of 8096 because the server dashboard mentions it. I guessed that the hostname means the name of the WindowsPC running the server.

I guessed because there is no tutorial. I looked at the Android tutorial in case it was similar but it never mentions hostname.

Anyway, Since no server is offered, I enter the hostname and port number and if I tap the test, it opens IE and will play content, etc. although essentially useless due to the shortcomings of IE, such as displaying movies in a much smaller area than the screen even when full screen is selected..

But when I click on connect, it just says authenticating and continues to do so for a half hour when I figured that was loing enough. Tried 3 times over several hours.

There needs to be some documentation for how to set up the thing.

In the Android tutoirial it mentions that it could be a firewall issue but even there nothing on how to fix it. I'm not going to trial and error and maybe accidentally leave my PC open to attacks.

Please help!

FWIW, the phone is a Lumia 1520.3 (1080x1920 screen) running WP 8.1.1. Media Server on the PC is up to date.

are you wanting to access from home or remotely?

if from home the address is your server IP

192.168.***.1

generally

if you want to connect remotely you will need either a static ip address or a dynamic dns set-up

or mediabrowser connect to go live on the WP app (i'm a beta tester so not sure if it has yet!)  @@ScottIsAFool ???

actually just checked and connect IS on the latest WP app.

maybe you need an app update??

go to the store

click ... (bottom right)

go to settings

scroll down and click check for updates

HoosierDaddy

are you wanting to access from home or remotely?

if from home the address is your server IP

192.168.***.1

generally

if you want to connect remotely you will need either a static ip address or a dynamic dns set-up

or mediabrowser connect to go live on the WP app (i'm a beta tester so not sure if it has yet!)  @@ScottIsAFool ???

I am still trying to connect locally. There is no place to enter a URL or IP. As I said in the first post the input fields are: Hostname and Port.

The host name must be right because when I click on the test link (which shows the hostname I entered) I get MediaBrowser opened in IE.

When I click on connect, it jsut sits there saying "authenticating" with the moving dots showing progress. But it never connects and it never gives an error even after more than a half hour.

actually just checked and connect IS on the latest WP app.

maybe you need an app update??

go to the store

click ... (bottom right)

go to settings

scroll down and click check for updates

I said in the original post that I clicked on Connect but it doesn't work. I have the most recent version of the app.

if you open the server dashboard, on the front page it lists your external address. that is the address that connect attempts to use. so in order to be able to connect away from home, you need to ensure that address is externally accessible. 

the most common reason why it might not be is port configurations in  your firewall.

yes you are right a guide would be helpful, and we're planning on getting that done soon.

I am still trying to connect locally. There is no place to enter a URL or IP. As I said in the first post the input fields are: Hostname and Port.

The host name must be right because when I click on the test link (which shows the hostname I entered) I get MediaBrowser opened in IE.

When I click on connect, it jsut sits there saying "authenticating" with the moving dots showing progress. But it never connects and it never gives an error even after more than a half hour.

I said in the original post that I clicked on Connect but it doesn't work. I have the most recent version of the app.

I think you misunderstood, by connect I meant mediabrowser Connect. This "should" be your first run screen. Unless you skipped it.

Did u check the tutorial link to create a connect account? If so go into the app settings and it should be under connection