Delayed collection group display

RedStripe

RedStripe

I have about 400 movies, several of which are collections. I have selected the option to group collections on the movie page. When rescanning the library the grouping of the collections on the movies page is not reflected for quite some time. Not sure how long it takes but more than 2 and a half hours (and less than a day) my case. When I check the next day they are grouped.

Apparently, some process other than library scan is performing the grouping. Is there a way to force the grouping to occur in real-time?

Edited by RedStripe

RedStripe

Not sure what you mean. A screen shot of the collection grouped and another of it not grouped?!

Edited by RedStripe

RedStripe

Here are the screenies I can think of providing and have available now for "The Godfather Trilogy Collection":

Folder structure:

549f904a91d32_collectionfolderstructure.

Collection View:

549f90680cf7c_Collectionview.png

Godfather Trilogy collection contents:

549f920e1c2df_GFTrilogycollectioncontent

Movie View (ungrouped):

549f909453f02_GFTrilogyungrouped.png

Display Settings:

549f90a88ced4_Displaysettings.png

I will provide a screenie of the grouped Godfather Trilogy collection when it becomes available in some hours.

Edited by RedStripe

Happy2Play

Are you using the Auto Boxset plugin?  Or are you manually making all collections?

Does each movie have the TheMovieDB Collection ID (230)?

RedStripe

Finally...here is the Movie View with The Godfather Trilogy grouped:

549face27ebea_GFTrilogyMovieViewgrouped.

Please note that the Iron Man collection has not yet grouped itself.

RedStripe

I am manually creating the collections through Media Browser (i.e., NOT via the file system).

TheMovieDB Collection ID is indeed 230 for each movie. (no screenshots...trust me :))

TheMovieDB Collection ID is blank for "The Godfather Trilogy":

549fb0210069e_Capture.png

Happy2Play

I am manually creating the collections through Media Browser (i.e., NOT via the file system).

What process are you using to create collections?  Your collections are nested collection (file system).

TheMovieDB Collection ID is blank for "The Godfather Trilogy":

Possible because TMDB name it collection and not trilogy.  You would have to look at your logs but you will probably see errors trying to look up that name.

https://www.themoviedb.org/collection/230-the-godfather-collection?language=en

Edited by Happy2Play

RedStripe

I believe the issue is resolved. I had enabled "Lock this item to prevent future changes" on all of my collections. At one time I had everything set as I wanted and thought this setting would preserve that state. Once I disabled this setting things began to behave as expected. Hope this helps someone else with similar problems.

"The Godfather Trilogy" in your explorer screen shot is not a collection as far as MB is concerned (unless you put a collection.xml file in it).  It is just an organizational folder with movies in it.

You need to get rid of that folder and just put the Godfather movies on the same level as all the others.  Then use either Auto Box sets or the web interface to create your collection and you are done.

• Like 3

RedStripe

I am sorry ebr...but I do not understand your last response. Although the "The Godfather Trilogy" is an organizational folder the screenshots appear to indicate that the movie files in "The Godfather Trilogy" folder are seen by MB as a collection and displayed as such the Collections view and eventually in the Movies view. For my better understanding please clarify:

"The Godfather Trilogy" in your explorer screen shot is not a collection as far as MB is concerned...

Thanks

Edited by RedStripe

If they are showing up in a collections view then that is because you have Auto Box sets installed or you created that collection through some other means.  The fact that they happen to also live under a folder with that name is coincidental.

You should move them out of that structure to avoid confusion.

• 1 month later...
StealthDefender

Seems that other people also have problems with the Collections.

Something went wrong with this............

Makes no sense a powerfull and working feature to delete!

Edited by StealthDefender

CashMoney

What ebr is saying is you currently have the media files for that collection as -

My Movies

-Another movie you have

-More Movies

-The Godfather Trilogy

--The Godfather

--The Godfather part 2

--The Godfather part 3

you need to change that to -

My Movies

-Another movie you have

-More movies

-The Godfather

-The Godfather part 2

-The Godfather part 3

Take the 3 godfather movie folders out of the Godfather Trilogy folder, and put the 3 movies into population with your other movies. Then you can either rely on the Autoboxsets plugin or use the metadata manager to make those 3 movies a collection. 

@@StealthDefender, going by other posts you have made elsewhere, your problem is more likely that you made the collection in the file system using the [boxset] tag on the directory, a feature that is no longer documented nor needed since you can manually create collections within the metadata manager. If you follow the above as well, it will likely fix your problem too. 

HTH

Edited by CashMoney
  • Like 1

StealthDefender

I take a look on this, in my opinion the [boxSet] tag is he easiest way!

I got it to work now, i take a look how long does it takes if its broken again, downgradet the server from beta to public

Dont know if this was the problem!

Greetz Stealth

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

As others have said, the correct, documented, supported method of creating collections is:

1. Keep your movies for the collections in the same folder structure as any other movie:

\\share\Movie Title 1 (year)
    \\share\Movie Title 2 (year)
    \\share\Movie Title 3 (year)

2. Allow the library scanner to find and identify the movies.
  3. Allow the autoboxset plugin to create the collection OR create them by hand.

As luck would have it that's also the least work.  It requires absolutely no special folder structure or folder naming conventions.

It used to be managed by setting up special folder structure and naming conventions.  That was unpopular and has been retired.

StealthDefender

Sorry but this make no sense in my opinion.

This structure would be a mess in folder view ( on data grab )!

Most Movies within a Set are different names, not all movies are super numbered like title1 tiltle2 title3 etc....

For me and i think many others the best way to be organized is to collect movies in folders, like Star Wars or Star Trek. They are huge and so they are sorted!

Why is this a problem to let some features as they are, why not let them as an option.

I think a plugin for this essential thing is opsolete.!

To create a title collection [boxSet] folder is faster and less confusing than manually create a collection! Many Collections ( Special Collections of Artists or something ) are not in the imdb or tmdb database......

Sorry for be a little fustrated about that, i came to mediabrowser because its features and community but with less features every update the plus is gone!

Greetz Stealth

FrostByte

I don't think ebr said it was purposefully taken out, just maybe overlooked since it's a legacy option.  Hopefully it will come back in the future.

RedStripe

I wholeheartedly agree with StealthDefender. The [boxset] folder is much, much (yes, that is two(2) muchs) more flexible!

the [boxset] convention is supported in the sense that we'll recognize it as a boxset, grab metadata, and that's about it. we are unlikely to do any further development on them, so as new features are added to the new style of boxsets, the only way the folder-based boxsets will get them is if it happens to just work automatically.

Deathsquirrel

Luke is right that it will probably work...until it doesn't any more.  Deprecated features in software get broken without noticing all the time.  The break gets released and it ultimately doesn't get fixed because it's prettyrare there is so little going on in development of an app that they'll go back and fix something that barely gets used.  That's a common thing in the industry, not a specific comment on this project.

Do things the supported way and you'll generally be happier in the long run.