XBOX app plans?

TheRealScottR

trooper11

Well now with Sony announcing that they will not have DLNA or media streaming support in the PS4 (plus not supporting audio cd playback, no mp3 support, and no external storage support), I think the X1 may be the last chance to have a console that can also double as an htpc.

I'm just hoping that MS lays out a reasonable app store system for the devs here to take advantage of. It may be a niche market, but I think it can drive a lot of interest and word of mouth.

Edited by trooper11

TheRealScottR

Not 360 but trying for xbone.

Sounds like XBox One won't act as a Media Center Extender, so I probably won't get an Xbox One until Media Browser 3 comes along to add this functionality.  I'm sure Xbox will focus on pay per view content as opposed to already owned content.  Media Browser 3, you are my only hope. 

• Like 1

MS is actually taking pretty much the same approach.  The part about our app they don't like right now is the fact it is designed for local content.  We're working on them...

• Like 1

TheRealScottR

I'm not so sure Microsoft is interested.  They've let Media Center languish for 8 years.  I hear they have shut down the product team.  In my opinion, they need to get people using their ecosystem.  Media center, and specifically the ability to eliminate my cable box with a CableCard tuner in my HTPC, and also the ability to store my purchased movies and dial them up at any time is why I'm all in with Microsoft, Xbox, Windows, Windows Phone, etc.  I want to be able to do everything from all devices. 

Honestly, the entire concept of an htpc - or hooking a pc up to your tv to control your entertainment has been dropped by the mass market.  It is only us uber-enthusiasts who are still doing that.

At one point, MS tried to push the market in that direction but it failed and they have abandoned it in favor of an appliance like the XBOne.  And, that new appliance world pretty much shuns your physical content as well for business reasons.  They can create a revenue stream by supplying content to you on the fly but not by giving you access to content you already have.

• Like 3

Even if we are initially rejected by Microsoft, we will have an app on Xbox One. inevitably the same thing that apple did will happen to MS. they'll eventually end up opening it up. So yes, htpc's have been dropped by the mass market, but for our community, does it really have to be an htpc? the xbox one could wind up becoming the new htpc.

• Like 4

Even if we are initially rejected by Microsoft, we will have an app on Xbox One. inevitably the same thing that apple did will happen to MS. they'll eventually end up opening it up. So yes, htpc's have been dropped by the mass market, but for our community, does it really have to be an htpc? the xbox one could wind up becoming the new htpc.

That is definitely MS's hope.  I'm sure we'll find a way. It'll just be a matter of when.

trooper11

Well I have a feeling that ultimately, enough people at MS will want to open up the app market to 3rd parties like yourselves as way to grow the reach of their devices.

They do want to sell their streaming services, but I don't think they will resist 3rd party options in the long run. They are already working to unite the app stores across the x1, wp, and win 8, so that kind of openness would seem natural at that point.

Either way, I think hearing from developers like the MB team and users like us can remind them that there is something to gain. I know Id be happy to use an X1 instead of an htpc if I could use such software.

TheRealScottR

They key to gaining me as a customer is no exorbitant recurring fees and virtually no limit to the capacity of my saved content.  It's the Comcast DVR rental fees and limited hard drives that have driven me to a Microsoft ecosystem.  It's simply the most cost effective solution for my needs.

-play my owned movies

-sports

-DVR 

• 1 month later...
tewanchuk

Any updates on the XBOX One client? I would really like to see a full featured client on a device with a blu-ray player that is not a HTPC (Dune, Popcorn Hour, XB1)...

trooper11

Well they are definitely working on MS as we speak to do such an app.

It will happen eventually, but MS may not be ready to roll out general app support for an X1 store. 

Its possible they are just too busy with the X1 launch and work on the core OS to get the general app store stuff done. I would say its likely we don't see substantial movement until early to mid next year.  But hey, if the MB developers get in touch with the right guys at MS, anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

Looking forward to seeing this on the Xbox one in the future. That would be icing on the cake for me.

• 1 month later...
trooper11

I might be mistaken (going to check it out this evening) but supposedly MB3 works through IE for XB1.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2773-confirmed-mb3-can-stream-to-xbox-one/

Pin the URL to Home and you don't need an app.

I can attest to the fact that it does work well, but as was said, its not the same as having a native app that can leverage Kinect and just be all around a more seamless experience.

For now though, I am fairly happily using it via IE on the X1.  If only I could get my harmony remote to control it, it would be even better.

I can attest to the fact that it does work well, but as was said, its not the same as having a native app that can leverage Kinect and just be all around a more seamless experience.

For now though, I am fairly happily using it via IE on the X1.  If only I could get my harmony remote to control it, it would be even better.

Can you make a video? I would really love to take it to the X1 forums as promotional material.

trooper11

Can you make a video? I would really love to take it to the X1 forums as promotional material.

Sure, I'll try to get one made asap.

• Like 1

in the video can you start gaming and snap IE whilst mb3 is playing something because that too looks impressive gaming whilst watching tv/movies ;-)....... and who said men can't multi-task! :-)

trooper11

in the video can you start gaming and snap IE whilst mb3 is playing something because that too looks impressive gaming whilst watching tv/movies ;-)....... and who said men can't multi-task! :-)

That's a good idea.  In theory I could be playing music or music videos from the MB web client while in a game.