MB Upcoming (chrome extension)

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

My story: I had no experience in programming. End of November, I set on my journey to learn Javascript, jQuery and APIs. Almost 7 weeks down the line, I have completed my first chrome extension, MB upcoming. I hope the Emby community finds it useful, even if the extension is quite simple. I appreciate any feedbacks (don't be too harsh, I'm still a nooblet!) and bug reports! Thanks!  :) 

MB Upcoming v.0.2.6

Visit the chrome store! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mb-upcoming/gkmioflklmjbliclmdjchelfhlionige

56d951183c263_MBupcoming_promo640_2.jpg

Description: This extension has been created to provide a more convenient way to display your upcoming shows in Emby.
It will let you know when the content is made available in Emby and if you've watched the episode. In addition, you have the option to hide watched episodes to keep your upcoming list shorter.

56d9518642535_login2.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

What changed v.0.1:
  • Added a link to series via banners
  • Fixed the message when there's no shows under Yesterday
  • Corrected the manifest, icon.png to Icon.png

What changed v.0.1.1:

• Fixed minor issue with permissions

What changed v.0.1.2:

• Fix to prevent sending multiple queries at once, for upcoming shows.

What changed v.0.1.3:

• Fix the user list to work with trimmed API.

What changed v.0.1.4:

• Fix to properly handle revoked token.

What changed v.0.1.5 and 0.1.6-7:

• Added the option to hide Disliked shows.
  • Quick fix for the new addition

What changed v.0.2.2:

• Fix calendar days (31 to 1st transition)
  • Fix duplicates - virtual vs available
  • Added a new optional watched icon
  • Instead of displaying available, it now displays the file quality available (SD/HD)
  • Update with Emby logo
  • Use google font Roboto instead of Calibri

What changed v.0.2.3:

• Update Media Browser reference in the webstore (bah....)

What changed v0.2.5:

• Fix timezone discrepancy. The proper utc to local time should apply when selecting a day.

What changed v0.2.6:

• Restore link to episode via the file quality available

What changed v0.2.7:

• Adjust the server shortcut to: <server>:<port>/emby
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 23

Installed but....

Does it just show what is coming soon?  If so is there anyway of linking it to the shows in the Library and telling you what is coming next so it customised to your own liking?  Maybe Trakt integration too?

Good work and keep it up :)

Angelblue05

I was thinking of adding the link to individual shows. Thanks for the feedback. For now, the media browser logo will bring you to the server. Also when a file is available you can click "available" and it will bring you to the episode in the webclient.

This extension is just for upcoming shows (whats going to play tonight for example). It's a bit like the sickbeard extension, if you are familiar with it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im85288

Great stuff @@Angelblue05 - It's good to see people taking initiative and doing some groundwork themselves to achieve what they desire. Well done again :)

• Like 1

DGMayor

This could easily fill the void of losing sbconnect after I switched to Sonarr.   I'm digging it! 

• Like 1

CBers

I installed it and it looks good, but as soon as I closed Chrome and restarted it, Google disabled it !!

EDIT: I have switched on the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option and the extension doesn't get disabled.

Edited by CBers

CBers

I think when you select YESTERDAY and there were no upcoming shows, it should say:

"There were no upcoming shows." rather than "There are no upcoming shows.".

Even dropping upcoming.

im85288

Just installed it myself and it's very good..did you know the samsung app is in Javascript  ;)

• Like 1

CBers

I like the fact that if you have a TV show in MB, then you can click on it and see it in the web client :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I installed it and it looks good, but as soon as I closed Chrome and restarted it, Google disabled it !!

EDIT: I have switched on the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option and the extension doesn't get disabled.

@@CBers Yes, this is normal. Chrome has a security measure in place for apps and extensions installed outside the web store. This is only temporary. Once the extension makes it to the web store and you have this version installed instead, Chrome will no longer try to disable the extension. :)

Thanks for all your feedbacks! I will try to squeeze in some of the suggestions in the web store release version.

I'm far from being a pro, so things might take a little long to implement, but I'm glad I have people interested in my extension. It's very rewarding!

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Just FYI, this extension will NOT work on any Unix OS because the of the case mismatch in the extension code and the filename for the MB Upcoming icon.

I had to change the name in the extension itself from Icon.png to icon.png to get it to work in Chromium for Linux.

The manifest.json file needs to either be:

{
	"manifest_version": 2,
	"name": "MB Upcoming",
	"version": "0.1",

"background": {
    		"scripts": ["js/jquery-2.1.1.min.js", "js/common.js", "eventPage.js"],
    		"persistent": false
  	},

"description": "Displays the latest upcoming episodes populated in Media Browser.",
	"author": "angelblue05",

"icons": {
		"128": "Icons/Icon_128.png",
		"48": "Icons/Icon_48.png",
		"19": "Icons/Icon_19.png"
	},

"browser_action": {
		"default_icon": "Icon.png",
		"default_popup": "popup.html"
	},

"permissions": [
		"tabs",
		"storage",
		"http://*/*",
		"https://*/*"
		]
}

or you need to change the filename to match the case in the manifest.

Other than that it looks great!

Thanks for the extension.  It will definitely get some use.

Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

No problem. I am happy to help.

That is one thing about Unix.  Case-sensitivity can be a bit of a pain for Windows programmers. ;)

• Like 2

CBers

No problem. I am happy to help.

That is one thing about Unix. Case-sensitivity can be a bit of a pain for Windows programmers. ;)

Tell me about it!

So many Windows Admins get confused cos us Unix bods use case-sensitivity :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

This is addressed to anyone that manually installed the extension.

You can now uninstall it and install it directly from the web storehttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mb-upcoming/gkmioflklmjbliclmdjchelfhlionige

What changed:

• Added a link to series via banners @@GiGo
  • Fixed the message when there's no shows under Yesterday @@CBers
  • Corrected the manifest, icon.png to Icon.png @

Thanks again for the support, I will keep working on my extension and expand my skills. Feel free to suggest any ideas, I will see if I can implement it  ^_^

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 3

Swynol

nice work. just installed it from chrome store. is there anyway i can use a url rather than the ip address? 

because i have a dynamic ip when im away from home i use a url to access my library. 

Angelblue05

@ yes you can use ip or url. :)

When accessing remotely, it's a bit slower to load the content, but it should work just as well.

Edited by Angelblue05

For me, the yesterday and today are overlapping. IS there a way to fix this or do you have to fix it within the extension. For reference I'm using Ubuntu 14.10 with Chromium . 

Angelblue05

@@fredg89 Do you mean the links are overlapping? Is it possible for you to take a quick screenshot, so I can see what you mean? I will fix it. Thanks! :)

Angelblue05

Oh wow, from the looks of it, it's the whole header css thing that's messed up or not even loading. Thanks for the screenshot, I'll see what I can do for you... I don't use chromium so this might take a bit to figure it out.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@fredg89

I thought it would be a simple fix, but with it being a different system and a different browser than mine, I'm not exactly sure why the font-size is not being respected or isn't loading properly.

The first step would be to locate the extension folder. Inside the css folder, you will find the style.css file. The css properties you are looking for are at (line, name): 78, #yesterdayUp, 89, #todayUp and 103, #tomorrowUp. If modifying/reducing the font-size doesn't work, then I have no idea how to fix it. The extension was built for Google Chrome. :(

Edited by Angelblue05