Poor Quality on Sony BDP S5200

bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk

I have terrible quality when streaming to my Sony player. Can someone tell me where I can change the quality?

This is on all my video files that are shared on my file server and streamed to the sony blu ray.

I have it working over a 1Gbit network all hard wired.

Im sure its to do with the DNLA  transcoding but Im not sure which bit - Im guessing its to do with using mpeg2video stream?

Sorry to be a bit vague 

Attached my transcode log for a file i just played

Transcode log.txt

wasn't this just posted this morning or am i reading it wrong? perhaps the people who have seen this don't know the answer, or perhaps the people who do know haven't seen this yet :)

Happy2Play

Looks like there are 2 Sony Blu-ray Player profiles one has more information then the other.  You would appear to using "Sony Blu-ray Player" profile.  Have you tried changing transcoding option from mpeg2video to h264?

Dashboard-DNLA-Profiles-System Profile "Sony Blu-ray Player"-Transcoding-Click "Video"-change mpeg2video to h264-click OK, then Save. (*Personally before hitting save I would go back to Info tab and customize "Name" so I can see in the log the profile being used.)

This will save a updated profile named "Sony Blu-ray Player" in the custom profile section. 

• Like 1

bLaZeR666_uk

There are 2 different Sony Blu-Ray System Profiles, one as you mentioned and the other is Sony Blu-Ray Player (2013) Ive just amended the "Sony Blu-Ray Player" to h264 and will give it a go..

Thanks

-----

Update 

I edited the "Sony Blu-Ray Player" to reflect h264 video plays fine now, thanks.

So can you tell me what determines which profile is used when using DNLA devices. Seeing as I created a custom profile how does the blu ray player used that custom one and not the default profile it was using previously? As I have a PS4 and there is no default profile for the PS4 (just the PS3).

Plus how do you get FF RW etc to work when using DNLA? as it just stops the movie if i try to FF or RW

TIA

Edited by bLaZeR666_uk

Happy2Play

Custom profiles have priority over system profiles.  Haven't figured out why controls work on some and not others yet.

Does the PS4 have DLNA support yet?

Your device supports DTS, you should add "dca" to each contain as seen in your manual.  Then everything should possible direct play.  Might need to adjust Max streaming bitrate higher than 8mb though.

Page 13 & 14.

• 2 months later...
DrCoolZic

Hello I am new to Emby so forgive me if I ask dumb questions!

I have exactly the same problem with S5200

What I have found is that when playing movies with mp4 container the quality is perfect but it is becoming very bad for mkv

Looking at the profile it seems that the video is not transcoded for mp4 but it is for mkv

You advise to change the transcoding option from mpeg2video to h264 but I think that it would be better to add the mkv container to direct play? (the sony support mkv containers)

The profile "2013" seems to give the description I want. Is there a way to force usage of this profile by my S5200?

or do I need to copy the "2013" profile to the Sony Blu-ray Player

Thanks

Edit:

Follow up here (contains more information) http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17622-dlna-to-transcode-or-not/?p=199372

Edited by DrCoolZic

• 1 year later...

The latest beta of Emby Server, 3.1.125, has numerous fixes for Sony Blu ray players from years 2013-2016. The changes will also be in the next stable release of Emby Server. Since I have a device for testing I am now able to test it fully and with the changes I've made everything is now playing perfectly.

It's possible that some of these improvements can be applied to older players or sony bravia tv's, but I do not have those devices available to test with, so for that I'll need to rely on community help. Enjoy.