MBT issues on same win8.1 machine as server software

themajorahole

themajorahole

so this did work at first, then i got a chromecast and another router. so i had to reconfigure my network to play nice with the chromecast, and extra router.

so when i went to open it, the window opens and looks like its gonna start normal. i get the little white wheel, then it disappears and nothing. just black screen and then a generic error (windows type window, not the UI looking type, cant remember the exact wording) then if i hit ok, a few seconds later i get another windows type box saying that mediabrowsertheater.UI stopped and I have to click ok to close it.

so, i tried just re-installing mbs and mbt, and got the same issue.

then i tried unistalling both> cleaning registry>reboot> reinstall both. THEN when i first ran MBT it seemed to work after the sign in. i could see everything and play everything i tried just fine. so i thought i had it.

so we get ready to have  movie night for my wife's birthday with her sister and wife and I. i have this pc as a HTPC/gaming rig on my home theater, with a projector and 100" screen, all the other goodies too.

so we go down there (in our basement) and get all comfy and snacks and stuff, and i got to start MBT and GUESS WHAT!? doesnt work!!!! ugh!!

anyways, so i spent a few hours last night trying to figure this out, and i cannot figure out what is going wrong! i can get it to work if i stop the server and then open MBT, and when i have to choose a server i have to go start the server, then choose manual setup, and give it the local IP (in my case 10.0.0.41) and port, and then it works for that instance.

if i try and close it and open again it wont work. 

im pretty sure its MBT cuz my phone and tablet connect & work just fine. 

so im thinking theres just some kind of setting im missing so that it realizes the server is on the same machine, but i just cant seem to get it to work. 

i got a feeling the fix is so simple ill feel stupid for even posting this! but i couldnt find any posts with the same exact problem.

thank you for any help! (and sorry for the long winded post!)

nodiaque

I had similar problem when I copied my Win 7 installation to Win 8. Stop MBT and MBS, uninstall and remove all folder from appdata and programdata. These app don't use heavily registry, it's not that causing the bug. It's probably one of the DB that is having a hard time. You can use server backup for your setting if you want.

Then, setup manualy everything like if it's a brand new installation. If it work, uninstall MBS and follow backup information for server to keep your played data, configuration and users.

• 2 weeks later...
themajorahole

just for anyone else that might have this issue... i feel like a ra-tard!!

I didn't realize i had a static IP on my server before, and apparently that was my issue. 

i thought maybe i had before for various other media servers, but when i was re-configuring my network i let the DHCP assign it, which is why it would work until i restarted my pc... 

but my other devices had no issue...still don't know why not, but oh well!! 

now just gotta figure out why i cant access from outside my home network, but that's not a huge issue right now.

thanks for the help tho!!

• Like 2

phatnovice

For what it's worth I had similar issues the other week with my Wndows 10 test rig. My server had a static IP but my new test rigs IP address was dynamically assigned and I was having problems whereby MBT would only stream rather than direct play and then only after a lengthy "pregnant pause". So I tested MBT on my Windows 8/8.1 devices and the same issue was found.

The long and the short of it is that I discovered that my router which is acting as my LANs DNS server wasn't resolving host names to dynamically assigned IP addresses. Once I had assigned static IP addresses to all of my Windows 8/8.1/10 devices, MBT worked as I expected to to.

Posted only for info should anyone else come across the issue. It's not an MBT issue at all but rather a limitation of my network hardware. Time for a new router I think :-)