Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

CBers

Heckler

So today's big announcement from Microsoft regarding windows 10... Users on Windows 7 & 8 can get a free upgrade for the first year.

I for one may be tempted to take them up on that offer... providing there are certain things included... I have W7 64 Pro on both my systems, so it would need to be the same level of OS (not a stripped down 'home' version) and most importantly... Media Centre?

So I thought I'd create a thread where we could all discuss what is and isn't going to be in Windows 10 and how it's going to work with MB server and Clients.

• Like 1

Whoa - free upgrade from Win 7...  

That's gotta stick in the craw of all the people who shelled out for 8 (like me ;)) but it is a great way to get all those people who have refused to upgrade to go ahead and do it.

• Like 1

im85288

Looks like Windows is copying OS X again...probably won't be long until the OS is free for all.

thenuttyprof

I would really like to know if mb will work with win 10, I think the only thing I can do is install the preview and see. Ill post back once installed and let you know the outcome.

I would really like to know if mb will work with win 10, I think the only thing I can do is install the preview and see. Ill post back once installed and let you know the outcome.

I'm pretty sure some folks are already running the server on the Win 10 preview.  Is it code named "Darwin"?

• Like 2

Heckler

I also started a thread about this... so mods, could you merge or delete as you see fit please.

Providing I can still use my media server for a media centre and have my TV/movies/music in one place as I do now with MB server and client on the same system, and streamed around the home to 3 other devices as required... I'll be happy to upgrade my server.

My games machine however... I may need some convincing... Although I have just got a new video card ASUS R9 280X from Amazons warehouse deals for £149  :)  and I was considering a rebuild later this year as it's 4yrs old now... well MB and CPU are. The rest i can reuse unless I want a Xfire vid setup again, in which case a new PSU will be required too.

What I don't want it yet another episode where I install a new OS and then have to jump through hoops getting everything to work on it properly... I'm still having sound issues with mp4 and mkv files where one file is quiet and the next twice as loud... I did solve it once, but it broke something else so I had to put up with it....  If there's a one step solution that resolves crap like that. Then it might be worth it.

• Like 1

Deihmos

I only spent 14.95 for windows 8 during the promotional period when it launched but anyone that recently paid for it must be disappointed.

Edited by Deihmos

techywarrior

No word on if WMC will still exist in Win10 yet.

Heckler, obviously each person's experience is different but so far from the preview and the new bits they showed off today, Win10 looks promising. Gaming will get a major bump with DX12 (for any new games that use it) and the Xbox gaming initiative sounds like it may finally make PC gaming relevant again for the majority of people.

Will of course have to see how everything shakes out but at the moment I'm more inclined to upgrade my work/game PC then my media PC.

• Like 1

CBers

I also started a thread about this... so mods, could you merge or delete as you see fit please.

I merged them - hopefully it worked OK.

• Like 1

Heckler

@techywarrior  I hope my R9 280X is DX12 ready... I would expect it to be considering DX12 has been on the cards for some time now... DX11 is like 5yrs old by now and it's still hard to find games that use it.

techywarrior

MS has mentioned in the past that any video card that supports DX11 (or perhaps it was DX11.1) will support DX12. The biggest addition to DX12 is a new low level API so that game devs who know what they are doing can utilize more of the power inherent in the GPU. This is similar to how console graphic APIs work (and also AMD's Mantle API)

Swynol

for the people asking about win10 and media browser, i ran the server and theatre on win10 and it worked perfectly fine. also there's a work around to get media centre into win10 by using your win8 media centre key.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Since Win10 will run all legacy and store apps I don't think anyone should be worried about MBS or MBT running.

WMC is still going to be a concern even with the work around you suggest. After installing WMC on Win 8.0/8.1 it changes the product ID. This could cause issues in Win 10. Also, they may prevent that work around from working at all. We won't know for sure until they either make an official announcement or Win 10 goes gold.

With Win 8 they made the WMC announcement very late so it's still possible.

techywarrior

MS has mentioned in the past that any video card that supports DX11 (or perhaps it was DX11.1) will support DX12. The biggest addition to DX12 is a new low level API so that game devs who know what they are doing can utilize more of the power inherent in the GPU. This is similar to how console graphic APIs work (and also AMD's Mantle API)

Ok, some clarification just came out about video card support.

It's not super clear but they said "a new video card will be required to get ALL of the benefits of DX12.".

The way they worded that makes it seem like newish cards will get DX12 drivers but may not support all the features. Sort of like DX11 and DX11.1 was for DX10 cards.

swhitmore

I'm running MBT and The Store App on the Win10 Technical preview. Everything works fine. What we should be really excited about, is Windows 10 on the Xbox! Good news for the app.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

gthrift

There is a lot of exciting info from the event today.  Hololense, 10 on the Xbox, playing xbox games on windows remotely and free windows!

I don't know if I'll upgrade my HTPCs, I definitely won't if there is no WMC in 10.  I would be tempted to upgrade to 10 on my laptop that has 8.1 but I paid for the WMC upgrade, so again, if 10 doesn't have WMC then I don't really see the reason to do it.  

techywarrior

Sooooo who's gonna make the official Mediabrowser Hololens App?

You joke (maybe) but it's sort of already being worked on. MS said that HoloLens (apparently that's the official capitalization?) runs Windows 10 and it will work with any metro/modern apps that utilize the new APIs. So when the  Win8 and WP8 apps merge into a new super universal Windows app they could relatively easily add support for HoloLens :)

.... and it should work on the Xbox One update when it runs Windows 10 as well.

Edited by techywarrior

godbodian

Welcome to the future fellas. We are literally at the beginning of Back to the Future II/The "new" Star Trek/The Jetsons/Minority Report.

Looks like Windows finally put two and two together that if they made a computer and software resembling the system on Star Trek (and it actually worked) they'd lead the market off unwitting recognition alone. LOL.

Watch the next thing someone will make are those transparent touch sensitive computer displays.

(I'm sooooo excited!!)

Edited by godbodian