Why Mediabrowser for Windows Phone is paid?

rodrigoxm49
Go to solution Solved by Scott84Z28,

rodrigoxm49

Well.... why not?

It is not paid on IOS or Android. I don't care to pay for a great service like Mediabrowser. But I do not understand why Windows Phone is the only we need to pay.

SHSPVR

It is not paid on IOS or Android. I don't care to pay for a great service like Mediabrowser. But I do not understand why Windows Phone is the only we need to pay.

Sorry rodrigoxm49 that wrong you have paid for it on iOS App Store and Windows App Store and dosen't matter if have phone or tablet only the Android App is 100% free.

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

rodrigoxm49

Sorry rodrigoxm49 that wrong you have paid for it on iOS App Store and Windows App Store and dose matter if have phone or tablet only the Android App is 100% free.

Thanks for the info. Still don't underst why Windows Phone and IOS are paid and Android not? And it's not cheaper, $4,99.

• Solution
Scott84Z28

The Android app has been 4.99 all along as well.  It's only free for a limited time (that's my understanding at least).

• Like 2

Beardyname

Thanks for the info. Still don't underst why Windows Phone and IOS are paid and Android not? And it's not cheaper, $4,99.

Well you could make your own version and release it for free :) ?

The developer should choose for him/herself if the app is free or not.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

Well you could make your own version and release it for free :) ?

Well that true

Maleficarum

Exactly. Ultimately it is the developer of an app that decides the cost and what they consider to be adequate compensation for their time and effort. Many people would like apps to be free but if that were the case many people would not be able to devote as much, if any time to developing them.

because the dev wants a few beer tokens for all his hard work??

I can understand why people question hundreds of dollars for Office-suits and Photoshop etc... but 2 or 3 quid doesn't even get you a pint these days, if I met the dev of the app in a pub i'd buy him a pint because his app is great...

I suppose you could always get an android phone (I bought the android app btw and I don't even own a device anymore!)

Edited by Lee

Starkadius

I paid for the android app on Google Play AND the amazon store. Same app but did it anyway to show support even though I own zero android devices. Now the app is free (apparently) so does that mean I am going to start having a fit over it or demand my money back? No.

What is the big deal of paying for the Windows Phone version anyway? Clearly if you can afford to buy/rip/download your media and use Media Browser server to process it you can afford a few bucks for a client? It makes no sense to me how nowadays everyone expects everything to be free. Just don't buy it and it is as simple as that.

shaefurr

Its not free because some of the developers who make these apps would like a little in return for all their work.

If you don't want to pay for the WP app, don't. Use the web client then. Though I really don't see why there's so much fuss over $4.99. It's a very minimal amount, and its totally worth it.

• Like 1

ScottIsAFool

Also, depending on the usage you want for the app, you might suffice with the trial version anyway. Unless you want to stream multiple different videos per day, or use it as a remote control app, you'd be fine with the trial. 

• Like 1

rodrigoxm49

C'mon guys, it's not that hard understand my point here. Also I already told that 4,99 dollars is well paid (not cheap, just fair) for this app and I really don't care to pay. I like to support devs, mainly when we have such a good service and well built app.

My point is very simple: Why you have a free version available for Android and not for the others?

It's a clean and fair question. Stop trying to make a big deal about this and put words in my posts.

yardameus

I think the simple answer is that the Windows Phone app (and other mobile apps) are developed independently by developers who chose to make an app to improve upon the overall Media Browser experience.  Charging some helps the developer justify spending all the time to work on the app.

Vidman

C'mon guys, it's not that hard understand my point here. Also I already told that 4,99 dollars is well paid (not cheap, just fair) for this app and I really don't care to pay. I like to support devs, mainly when we have such a good service and well built app.

My point is very simple: Why you have a free version available for Android and not for the others?

It's a clean and fair question. Stop trying to make a big deal about this and put words in my posts.

Yes and the question has been answered a number of times already Edited by Vidman

• 2 weeks later...