need some help with a batch file

tp546

hey guys,

kind of a random request, but here is what i am trying to do:

in the root of almost all my TV show folders, i have a file called "backdrop (2).jpg" that has a 16x9 logo for the show (this is due to an old image processing program i use). what I want to do is create a batch file that will go through all my TV folders and copy the "backdrop (2).jpg" file to a "thumb.jpg" file in the same folder, but only if there is not a thumb.jpg file in there already (preferably, if the "backdrop (2).jpg" is larger than the existing thumb, the "thumb.jpg" file would be renamed to "thumbbkp.jpg" but this isn't required). this is as far as i have been able to get with my batch file:

For /R C:\Users\TP\Desktop\test %%G IN (backdrop *.jpg) do copy "%%G" "thumb.jpg"

The problems I have are:

• I don't know how to correctly set the path on the last parameter
  • I don't know how to prevent it from overwriting an existing thumb.jpg

Let me know if anyone can help. Thanks!

Macburp

What I think you need to do is set your TV Show folders as variables, and then reference that in the command. I recent created a script to do this in linux that I think may work for you - 

cd c:/'TV Folders' #the location of your TV folders
progs = ( * ) #defines the list of all your sub-directories as an array
for show in "${progs[@]%*/}"; do  #this allows you to access each directory using the variable 'show'
  cd c:/'TV Folders'/$show/
  copy "c:/users.../test/backdrop (2).jpg"  # in quotes because of space in the file name

An If statement should allow you to test for any existing thumb.jpg file. A little googling should give you the syntax for this, I'm really a windows man :)

As I say, this is Linux, so I would suggest you download a copy of cygwin, which allows you to run linux scripts in windows. You can put the finished script into a windows batch file. This should give you a start, google is your friend. Good luck.

shaefurr

I don't know how to check for file size on the thumbs, but the regular for loop with an if statement to check for the thumb.jpg should work just fine.

Here's a good example of a for loop and if statement

for /r D:\temp %%a in (*) do (    if exist "C:\temp\%%~nxa" (        del "C:\temp\%%~nxa" /f /s /q    ) else (        copy "%%a" C:\temp    ))

I don't know how to check for file size on the thumbs, but the regular for loop with an if statement to check for the thumb.jpg should work just fine.

Here's a good example of a for loop and if statement

for /r D:\temp %%a in (*) do (    if exist "C:\temp\%%~nxa" (        del "C:\temp\%%~nxa" /f /s /q    ) else (        copy "%%a" C:\temp    ))

thanks but with that you aren't specifying the filename (backdrop (2).jpg) to start or to copy to (thumb.jpg) so I don't think that would work.

@@tp546

I made this for you :)

Renamer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/Renamer/Renamer/bin/Release/Renamer.zip

your anti-virus might flag the program because I didn't sign it or anything. Here is the code so you don;t think it's shady :)

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        FolderBrowserDialog1.RootFolder = Environment.SpecialFolder.MyComputer
        If FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            TextBox1.Text = (FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath)
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

For Each folder In IO.Directory.GetDirectories(TextBox1.Text)
            If IO.File.Exists(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text) Then
                IO.File.Copy(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text, folder & "\" & TextBox3.Text, True)
                IO.File.Delete(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text)
            End If
        Next

End Sub
End Class
Edited by chef
  • Like 1

@@tp546

I made this for you :)

Renamer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/Renamer/Renamer/bin/Release/Renamer.zip

your anti-virus might flag the program because I didn't sign it or anything. Here is the code so you don;t think it's shady :)

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        FolderBrowserDialog1.RootFolder = Environment.SpecialFolder.MyComputer
        If FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
            TextBox1.Text = (FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath)
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

For Each folder In IO.Directory.GetDirectories(TextBox1.Text)
            If IO.File.Exists(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text) Then
                IO.File.Copy(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text, folder & "\" & TextBox3.Text, True)
                IO.File.Delete(folder & "\" & TextBox2.Text)
            End If
        Next

End Sub
End Class

wow thanks so much - do i just put it in the root folder of my TV library and run it?

wow thanks so much - do i just put it in the root folder of my TV library and run it?

so i just tested it and it works except one thing - can it copy the file instead of rename it so the original remains intact? (so backdrop (2).jpg would exist afterward in all cases)

so i just tested it and it works except one thing - can it copy the file instead of rename it so the original remains intact? (so backdrop (2).jpg would exist afterward in all cases)

Yeah! I will fix it in a second :)

Anytime.

There is no error handling in it so it will crash if the text box are empty... Lol!