No Media Center in Windows 10

KarterJK

KarterJK

It has been rumored the Media Center will not be part of Windows 10.

Though no official word, it is stated that the Media Center work group was disbanded in 2009, so I am thankful for the work that has been done thus far on ServerWMC.  It will be interesting to see how it all play out.  

Personally, Media Center was the main reason for using Windows, I never cared to much for XBMC.

swhitmore

My HTPC is happy to stay on Win7 for now. I don't see my benefit in changing. I might for my gaming HTPC, if only for DX12, but I'm not too fussed now that I have a Xbox One.

Edited by swhitmore

denethor

Using old keys will break your build updates via Windows Update. This is what happened to me with the first TP.  I think it is time to let go of WMC ;)

saitoh183

Using old keys will break your build updates via Windows Update. This is what happened to me with the first TP.  I think it is time to let go of WMC ;)

Maybe but this just shows that M$ hasnt complete wrote off WMC. Maybe at release we will see new keys for windows 10

It has been rumored the Media Center will not be part of Windows 10.

While this wouldn't surprise me at all (in fact, I predicted it a while ago) the same rumor existed with Win 8 so we'll just have to wait and see what really happens.

Koleckai Silvestri

Such a change may inspire quicker development on Media Browser Theater so I would welcome it. I shouldn't get better quality and performance from a web client over a native player.

denethor

Maybe but this just shows that M$ hasnt complete wrote off WMC. Maybe at release we will see new keys for windows 10

It is hard to make that conclusion right now. Because currently this is just a glitch in handling build keys. Real activation keys usually set on RC or RTM builds.

saitoh183

Such a change may inspire quicker development on Media Browser Theater so I would welcome it. I shouldn't get better quality and performance from a web client over a native player.

I agree that the lost of WMC will cause a issue for those that want Win10 but are MBC users. It will also be a problem for ServerWMC.

It is hard to make that conclusion right now. Because currently this is just a glitch in handling build keys. Real activation keys usually set on RC or RTM builds.

Yup true

Deihmos

I am sure WMC will be in win 10 just like it is in Win 8 as added option. Windows 10 is pretty much Win 8 with a new skin. 

techywarrior

I am sure WMC will be in win 10 just like it is in Win 8 as added option. Windows 10 is pretty much Win 8 with a new skin. 

Yes, but that doesn't mean MS wants to still deal with support for it. They can simply drop WMC and say that it doesn't work with their new philosophy, or that they want all their first party apps to be using winRT, etc.

Until they give a definitive one way or the other we have no clue what they will do. The good news is that since it's the same, they could add it in just before gold. It's similar to what happened win Win8. But at that time I remember a lot more people asking MS if WMC was going to be included. perhaps they have seen the install numbers decline to such an extent that it's just not worth their time anymore.

<shrug>

techywarrior

Too many old software programs have a version check of "win 9x" so they had to skip Win9 or it would cause some old software to behave very badly.

Bad programming because they should be checking for the real version number, like 5.x, 6.x etc.

Edited by techywarrior

Too many old software programs have a version check of "win 9x" so they had to skip Win9 or it would cause some old software to behave very badly.

Bad programming because they should be checking for the real version number, like 5.x, 6.x etc.

I had no idea. Thanks.

Latchmor

Yeah, remember Windows 95 and Windows 98? No, I guess most of you whippersnappers don't ;).

Shhh...

• Like 1

Yeah, remember Windows 95 and Windows 98? No, I guess most of you whippersnappers don't ;).

I remember the commador 64, you had to ad cassette tapes to use it.

• Like 2

wraslor

Would you all believe that I work at a TV station and up until about a year and half ago they still had a system running as a router running windows 3.11......  I thought they were joking until they showed me.

Would you all believe that I work at a TV station and up until about a year and half ago they still had a system running as a router running windows 3.11......  I thought they were joking until they showed me.

Wow.  Just Wow...

saitoh183

Wow.  Just Wow...

I have an even better one...I used to work in IT for a bank and they still had a machine in the office running OS/2...!

Koleckai Silvestri

I have an even better one...I used to work in IT for a bank and they still had a machine in the office running OS/2...!

Was it running the Zeus Teller/Platform system?

saitoh183

Was it running the Zeus Teller/Platform system?

dont remember...but i was afraid to touch it from fear it would fall apart :) 

techywarrior

I remember when I was doing some CAD work on a renovation at a ConEd power substation they had a computer that was actively being used with an 8" floppy drive. This was like 10 years ago now but it's not like 8" drives were exactly normal then. I wonder if it's still there. lol

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

dont remember...but i was afraid to touch it from fear it would fall apart :)

Worked on the Zeus Teller/Platforum system back in the days.  It ran on Windows 95 and OS/2. It was an upgrade for the company's Teller/Platform Plus+ system that ran on DOS and used NetBIOS networking. The way banks work their branches, I would guess some are still using these systems today. Banks are very cheap.

krustyreturns

The first program I wrote was on a trs-80 with cassette drive.  I was a kid then, but even I realized that the cassette drive is what made the thing useless.  I realized that floppy disks were the way of the future :).

My friend at MS thinks wmc will live on in win10 like it did with win 8, but be is in the halolens group, so what does he know...