Kodi -> ffmpeg and timeouts

Customschief

Customschief

Hey Guys,

i am new to Mediabrowser since 2 days now and i like it... 

i am also using Plex since 2 years now and befor that i was an xbmc-nerd, so you can talk to me in a semi-pro way ;-)

I have a problem with Mediabrowser and Kodi. When i play something local (@home) everything works fine (direct play without transcoding).

But when i am not at home (in this case @work), and i want to play a movie with kodi, the first time it works... but when i stop the movie and try to start another one, this doesn't work and i get an timeout error.

When i look at my server in this moment, i can see that the ffmpeg-process is between 80 and 99% and dont stops until i kill it manually.

When i play movies with the webplayer, i dont have this problem.

Some Ideas?

My Rig:

Windows Server 2012 R2 x64

Intel i5-4570 with 8 GB Ram

System is on SSD

Data on 12x 2 TB

Internetconnection: 100 Mbit down and 12 Mbit upload

Edited by Customschief

Angelblue05

I use Kodi to view content on my brother's server (remote). Have you tried adjusting the network speed from default (for example: 100 to 2mbps)? If you watch something of shorter length or lesser quality, does it still "crash"? The best thing for you to do is post a log, capturing the error. :)

Please refer to this guide, if you need help doing this: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

• Like 1

Customschief

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, i tried limiting the quality and i tried forcing to transcode even on local lan... everytime the same. 

When the server has to transcode for Kodi, then i got that error. Transcoding for webplayer works.

I will post the log soon...

Customschief

So... i've got all the logfiles...

i tested it again, from a remote computer (in the office)...

1. starting movie 1 (no problem)

2. starting movie 2 (timeout and ffmpeg at 99% on the server till i kill it manually)

I added the Kodi, server and transcoder logfiles (for both movies) to my GDrive in the link below...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw4ojbQxCkX_fkNoOE0xUmZqTm1kLXI5dFhLNFp2R3VXa1QzWlNJYXhGa1c5b3NNYUEzcWM&usp=sharing

Edited by Customschief

Customschief

Okay... i tested a little bit more...

i think it has something to do with forced subtitles...

when i play a movie wirthout subtitles, everything is okay...

when i play a movie with forced subtitles, then i got a timeout and ffmpeg is working till death.

I got that happen in kodi and on the webfrontend.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I have checked your logs. I don't know what could cause the timeouts of the connections. In your server log, there's a lot of 500 timeout response to 79.xxx.xx.xx and url ending with myfritz.net. The response is sent almost immediately as if the access is restricted. How are your media folder paths set up in the Media browser server? Is your transcoding folder shared as well?

Edited by Angelblue05

Vidman

When you are at work do you have the setting to "play from http instead of smb" ticked in the media browser add on settings in kodi?

Edited by Vidman

Customschief

The problem is not the network connection... i even have the same problems in local lan.

The .myfritz.net adress is just the dyndns adress of my home network.

The timeout is coming from the not responding transcoder if i play movies with forced subtitles.

Next i will try using the MB-Server in Linux to test if the OS has something to do with this.

Thx for your help.

Customschief

The subtitles are stored external within the movie-folder.

The size of the file doesn't matter. I tested it with several files from 5 to 15 GB, but all had external subs.

But when i delete the sub-files, the problem ist not gone.

Funny problem :-)

Now i notice something else... when i have this timeout (even with the webplayer), then i have the ffmpeg.exe process running twice on the server.

One is running with high CPU usage and the other below 3%. When i then kill the low usage one, the movie will start immediately in the webplayer.

Edited by Customschief

Customschief

After the next testphase  i can isolate the problem a bit more.

I tested MB-Server with Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 so far (fresh installations). Everytime the same problem.

Everything works fine with about 80% of my movies. But when i play one of the "bad" movies, then i got 2 instances of  the ffmpeg.exe process running. 

One with high and the other with low CPU usage. In this case the movie wont play in Kodi or the Webinterface until i kill the low usage process manually.

The only thing i could differ between the "good" and "bad" movies seems to be the external subtitles.

But even when i delete this subtitles, the movies wont play properly.

With the Plex-Transcoder, witch is ffmpeg too, the "bad" movies play without any problems.

Edited by Customschief

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Any ideas? This problem seems to be no longer related to Kodi but transcoding in the server. :mellow:

Edited by Angelblue05

dark_slayer

Is your transcoding folder shared as well?

I never could get this working either, but I never read that the transcoding folder needed to be shared. Is this a requirement

Customschief

Now i tested it with Linux... exactly the same...

but in the Linux Process-Explorer i could see something interesting. The ffmpeg process with low cpu usage is doning something with the subtitles...

look at the picture i added:

54cd885f10b52_ffmpeg_fail.jpg

Angelblue05

@@dark_slayer

It only is necessary, if you are trying to access the content outside the network and transcoding is required. If you don't share the folder, there's a good chance you'll only see a black screen and nothing will play. The transcoding folder needs to be set like a UNC path : \\ComputerName\Transcoding in this situation.

Yea this is a known issue that I'll look at during the next server release cycle. We currently extract text-based subtitles and deliver that separate from the video because this often can allow the video to be direct streamed with the subtitles delivered independently. However what we're seeing is that on some systems and/or some videos, it takes a little time for the extraction to complete. So we need to be a little smarter about when we're going to do that and when we're not.

• Like 3

Customschief

Okay... thanks a lot.

Then i can stop testing around und wait for the next release.

If it is important for you, i tested it on 3 different hardware configurations, so in my case it should be just triggert by the videofile.

Thanks to all for this nice conversation.

• Like 1