Ontario ISP suggestions for my mother (no PC, strictly using Roku for MB streaming from my server)

pmac

Sorry for the long title, couldn't think of how else to word it, but as the title suggests, I'd like to get my Mom connected to the Internet so she can stream videos from my server.

She doesn't own a computer or have a use for one, so I'm trying to find the cheapest ISP solution for her, since she'll only be using it to stream from my server to a Roku.

Unfortunately she lives in rural Ontario, so the ISP choices are probably limited, but I'm thinking there must be some way for her to access my server on the cheap. She can get a basic Bell unlimited package 5mb down/700kb up for $41.95, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper solutions (mobile data stick, etc?)

Thanks

The problem I have had with Bell is that they promote a 5mb service but it never goes above 1 or 2mb.

I have had major problems with Bell (anti-Bell! I could go on forever about how much I absolutley dispise the thieving company... But I will not...).

Is there a Rogers service or Cogeco?

Cable would be better, where I live in Ontario, we also have an indi company called "nexicom".

Best of luck, here's to Ontario! Better get your shovel out... Eh!

BATTLE DONKEY

If its available in her area, u can check the Teksavvy website to see if it is, but u can probably get a higher download speed and unlimited or close to it for probably cheaper.

Chances are if she can get internet she can also get Teksavvy cause they piggyback on their system

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately, being in a rural area, cable isn't an option. Only DSL, so I may check out Teksavvy. I've looked at them for my own provider before (also in a rural area), but all of the smaller companies seem to have a hard time finding my address in their system. Even with Bell, it took me forever to explain to them how to find my address in their system, which they eventually did. I'm sure I'll have to do the same with other providers.

I contacted at least 20 ISP's before going with Bell for my own service, all of which told me they couldn't come to my area (they use the same system as Bell, so I know they can,) but I eventually gave up, due to the headache, and went with Bell (the same 5mb service @@chef mentioned) and found I'm only actually getting 3.5mb... I still find it usable though.

Unfortunately, since my upload speed is only +/- 700kb, in order to stream video to my mom's place she'll be limited to 480p video (which I tested using a Roku, and my cell phone as a mobile hotspot), but she seems okay with that.

I just hope I can find an ISP for her with a price that's justifiable to only use it for streaming video to a Roku, since she has no use for a PC

I even thought about buying her a modem/router and trying to log in with my internet account credentials, similar to using someone else's satellite TV service with a reciever/card, since she's had the same service as me there in the past, but I'm not sure if that's even possible/legal haha...

Just had a look on Teksavvy's website, and see that their cheapest offer ($24.95/month unlimited) is the Sky-Fi broadband service. The cheapest one is only 1Mbps down/512Kbps up, but since she'll only be using it to stream from my server which is only capable of around 700Kbps up, would it make sense for her to use something like this? or could the slow download speed hinder her somehow, even though it's faster than my upload speed?

They also offer a 3 and 6Mbps service for $29.95, and $39.95 respectively, but I'm not sure that she'd have a use for the extra speed...

Edited by pmac