Bluray Playback Freezing - caused by subtitles enabled

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

Recently i had an issue with my bluray playback freezing and playing frame by frame so slowly, i uninstalled mbt and server, reinstalled, nothing i tried worked, i ended up reinstalling windows 7 hoping the fresh install of everything would solve my problem, bluray folders now played fine so i was happy.

Last night i accidentally got this problem back and it was because i had went into the settings in mbt and enabled subtitles, same problem as before and blurays would not play, i disabled the subtitles and voila the blurays folders now play perfectly again.

Is this a problem folk are aware of as i did not see anything the same posted.

• 2 weeks later...
mystic.bertie

can any of the admin team offer any help with this issue, im a paid up supporter and so im in need of some support lol. :D

Beardyname

Since this sounds like an MBT problem and MBT is undergoing a major re-write i don't think there is an quick and easy solution for this :/

Also check to make sure MBT isn't transcoding. See http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

I think that's exactly what is happening since it happens when he enabled subtitles.

You said "BluRays" so you mean true BD rips?  Streaming of those is going to be hit or miss so I would suggest looking at moving to a file format if so.

mystic.bertie

Also check to make sure MBT isn't transcoding. See http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

I have attached a server log file, done today with the subtitles enabled on MBT, again it was playing very slowly frame by frame.

MBT 3.05531.26414

server 3.0.5518.7

I think that's exactly what is happening since it happens when he enabled subtitles.

You said "BluRays" so you mean true BD rips?  Streaming of those is going to be hit or miss so I would suggest looking at moving to a file format if so.

The rips im using are 25gb, they have been converted to this size. Im playing MBT from my main server htpc.

server-63560473069.txt

Edited by mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

What is the format of your movies?  Are they blu ray rips or have they been converted to MKV\MP4?

Bluray rips, usually an iso file but extracting them to bluray folder makes no difference to the playback, the folders within the iso are BDMV & CERTIFICATE..

Deathsquirrel

Bluray rips, usually an iso file but extracting them to bluray folder makes no difference to the playback, the folders within the iso are BDMV & CERTIFICATE..

Don't do that, problem solved.

As EBR said, streaming of that form of rip is hit or miss.  You should really consider converting to MKV using something like MakeMKV if you want exact copies, or running things through handbrake if you want to save some space.  With the MKV you can preserve your audio and subtitle tracks exactly as they are but in a format that's much more compatible with streaming video tools.

I'll give a nod to handbrake.  With intel encoding I can convert most films to an MP4 copy that's almost impossible to tell from the original with DTS-HD and AAC audio tracks which will average around 6-8GB in size in about half an hour.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

mystic.bertie

Im not streaming though, this is on my main htpc which has the server installed and Theatre, i use this for watching movies on my tv. I learned on another thread that streaming is a bit of hit and miss with bluray. I just want to watch forced subtitles as i dont usually bother with subtitles and its always been switched off.

Deathsquirrel

Using them at all isn't something I've ever seen recommended.

I have no problems with internal subs in MKV or external subs with MP4 or MKV.

mystic.bertie

Using them at all isn't something I've ever seen recommended.

I have no problems with internal subs in MKV or external subs with MP4 or MKV.

I see, i never knew that, i never use subs anyway but i recently watched the recent planet of the apes movie and had no idea what the apes were saying, i assumed there should have been subtitles, i also watched a mvie where there was some foreign laguage used and i had no idea what was being said, thats when i thought i need to enable subtitles and this problem arose. I dont want to spend time converting things to mkv so ill just carry on the way i have been and hope not many have foreign language used. ;)

Deathsquirrel

FYI if you are just keeping the exact same data streams but changing the container to MKV, the process takes as long as a file copy.  It's really very fast.  Reencoding to save space takes longer though if you can use Intel QSV encoding only about 20-40 minutes for a 2 hour film.