MBC is now Unstable?

bxsteez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I wanted to add recent crash logs.  Without fail MBC crashes when it's loading images.  The log shows failed to download images left and right.  I thought running it as a normal application fixed the issue but it really didn't.  It worked last night for the few time I tested it but back to the same ole crashing now. 

Is there anyway I can get an older build and try that?  I know you keep saying it's my system but the only thing that doesn't work on my network is MBC.  Plex works just fine and all my cable works too. 

MBClassic-1922015b7eb8f35af244e64bd131e7f720853fc.log

MBClassic-1922015e1521326d14247bc819a779ef4bb387d.log

politby

I am also having this problem. I have updated one of my servers and a few clients to the latest dev versions and this happens on all of them. Exact same symptoms as the OP is having.

bx - I'm still pointed towards some sort of network issue.

2015-02-19 19:52:32.2875,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 42.95 seconds.,34,Worker thread for Newest Item Loader
2015-02-19 19:52:32.2955,Error,,Async thread threw the following exception:  ( Exception.  Type=Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException Msg=Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: �. Path '',, line 0,, position 0. Src=Newtonsoft.Json Method=ParseValue Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader,, JsonContract contract,, Boolean hasConverter) [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader,, Type objectType,, Boolean checkAdditionalContent) [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader,, Type objectType) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.NewtonsoftJsonSerializer.DeserializeFromStream(Stream stream,, Type type) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.BaseApiClient.DeserializeFromStream(Stream stream,, Type type,, SerializationFormats format) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.BaseApiClient.DeserializeFromStream[T](Stream stream) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.ApiClient.GetItems(ItemQuery query) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Persistance.MB3ApiRepository.RetrieveItems(ItemQuery query) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.GetLatestItems(String recentItemOption,, Int32 maxItems) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.UpdateQuickList(String recentItemOption) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.get_QuickList() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.FolderModel.<>c__DisplayClass25.<get_QuickListItems>b__20() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Threading.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Queue>b__3() ),34,Worker thread for Newest Item Loader

First, there is the fact it took 42 seconds to do something that should only take a second or so and then we get garbage back in the json response from the server.

Is there anything on your server or the MBC machine that could be interfering with the network communications?  Any kind of anti-malware?

I am also having this problem. I have updated one of my servers and a few clients to the latest dev versions and this happens on all of them. Exact same symptoms as the OP is having.

It may look like the same thing to you but it probably isn't.  He isn't on the dev version of MBC.  You should open a new thread with MBC and Windows Event log.

bx - I'm still pointed towards some sort of network issue.

2015-02-19 19:52:32.2875,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 42.95 seconds.,34,Worker thread for Newest Item Loader
2015-02-19 19:52:32.2955,Error,,Async thread threw the following exception:  ( Exception.  Type=Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException Msg=Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: �. Path '',, line 0,, position 0. Src=Newtonsoft.Json Method=ParseValue Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParseValue() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ReadInternal() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.Read() [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.ReadForType(JsonReader reader,, JsonContract contract,, Boolean hasConverter) [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalReader.Deserialize(JsonReader reader,, Type objectType,, Boolean checkAdditionalContent) [n]    at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.DeserializeInternal(JsonReader reader,, Type objectType) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.NewtonsoftJsonSerializer.DeserializeFromStream(Stream stream,, Type type) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.BaseApiClient.DeserializeFromStream(Stream stream,, Type type,, SerializationFormats format) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.BaseApiClient.DeserializeFromStream[T](Stream stream) [n]    at MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.ApiClient.GetItems(ItemQuery query) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Persistance.MB3ApiRepository.RetrieveItems(ItemQuery query) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.GetLatestItems(String recentItemOption,, Int32 maxItems) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.UpdateQuickList(String recentItemOption) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Entities.Folder.get_QuickList() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.FolderModel.<>c__DisplayClass25.<get_QuickListItems>b__20() [n]    at MediaBrowser.Library.Threading.Async.<>c__DisplayClass4.<Queue>b__3() ),34,Worker thread for Newest Item Loader

First, there is the fact it took 42 seconds to do something that should only take a second or so and then we get garbage back in the json response from the server.

Is there anything on your server or the MBC machine that could be interfering with the network communications?  Any kind of anti-malware?

There is no antivirus or firewall operating on the server pc.  I have disabled everything.  What can I do to successfully rule out the network in your eyes?  I used netbios to run a test on the network from the PC the logs are coming from to the server and I attached the results to this post.

I can probably set up a test on a loop to run for 24hrs if that helps.  I'm pretty sure it's not my network. 

NOTE:  The gui said KB/s next to the results but it's really in MB/s

post-1416-0-85691800-1424450349_thumb.png

Edited by bxsteez

Latchmor

Would installing MBT for a quick test help rule out network issues?

Edit: Cancel, that. I forgot you did that already!

Edited by Latchmor

I'm such an idiot. My apologies. I should've attached the server logs. I'm away from that pc till Sunday. I will definitely post them then.

Maybe it is a problem with a combination of things you have going on.  Like GB and the new beta server but the older version of MBC.

You could try the beta of MBC as it will line up better with the beta version of the server you are using.

• Like 1

Ok, I just upgraded to latest MBC v3.0.254.0 and also seeing the same delay before MB launches. It used to take a split second for the MB screen to display, not it takes a minute or so. Other than disabling DNLA server and removing 1 music library, I have changed nothing and only updated MB.

attached logs

MBClassic-Msi.log

server-63560042680.txt

Ok, I just upgraded to latest MBC v3.0.254.0 and also seeing the same delay before MB launches. It used to take a split second for the MB screen to display, not it takes a minute or so. Other than disabling DNLA server and removing 1 music library, I have changed nothing and only updated MB.

attached logs

I need the actual MBC log, not the install log.  Thx.

No, that is an install log.  The regular logs will have a name like "MBClassic-2299474989797aefg889339200".

That is what I pulled from the following folders

• %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\logs
  • ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\logs

I did a drive search for MBClasic-*.* and found nothing.

Have you turned logging off?

Look in the common config file (in %appdata%\mediabrowser-classic\configurations) and make sure logging isn't disabled entirely.

Yep, I had it off, sorry about that.

The IP address of your server has changed from .139 to .138 and you have MBC configured to connect to the old address.  So it is timing out trying to reach the old server before falling back on auto detection and finally finding it.

Ebr, yep that was it, sorry to have taken up your time with this.. This is something I should have been able to troubleshoot myself, I will dive into the logs next time prior to posting a question.

Apparently my IP got change the other day when I took the router down to move it (and right before I upgraded to new MBC version).   And since I am sharing my bridged Ceton network tuner, I am not able to set a static IP.

Thanks, happy weekend.

NP.  The new retry logic I put in is going to make that situation take even longer now.  But, I guess the bright side of that is that it will make it obvious something is wrong :).

So I got back home and updated to the latest release of the server and I've only been running it for about 20 mins but it seems everything is working  and not only is it working it's working far better than like the last 10 versions. I updated the logs but they all seem fine but I wanted to make sure to upload it. 

I was going to update the server logs but apparently I turned off server logging at some point because the folder was completely empty. 

MBClassic-22220152e398cfdeaf94837894cc489cb46bcdd.log

MBClassic-22220157bb89e7df97241f889a729f0d761bdba.log

I'm glad it is working for you now but I fear some of it may just be coincidental and there may still be some sort of intermittent issue that could crop back up so keep an eye on it.

If you look at your previous log vs. this one, it is obvious why it is faster now:

2015-02-19 19:52:32.2875,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 42.95 seconds.
2015-02-22 21:22:27.1470,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 0.02 seconds.

I'm glad it is working for you now but I fear some of it may just be coincidental and there may still be some sort of intermittent issue that could crop back up so keep an eye on it.

If you look at your previous log vs. this one, it is obvious why it is faster now:

2015-02-19 19:52:32.2875,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 42.95 seconds.
2015-02-22 21:22:27.1470,Info,,RAL child retrieval for Games option added took 0.02 seconds.

I'm going to put it through its paces for the rest of the week to see if it ever slows down.  Previously it would get faster and then crap out after about a day or so.  I hope it maintains its speed this time.  If not then at least I will have a server log to partner the mbc log.  

Pete Mazz

I've been having the same problem, except on one system only. It seems to be caused by the user login of WMC. I get the "Access denied: Invalid User or password" error from WMC. On my General config screen of MBC it shows on LOG IN: User of an old account from the server but I can find no way to change it. The other machine works as always.

I've been having the same problem, except on one system only. It seems to be caused by the user login of WMC. I get the "Access denied: Invalid User or password" error from WMC. On my General config screen of MBC it shows on LOG IN: User of an old account from the server but I can find no way to change it. The other machine works as always.

You should be able to change it with the configurator.