Anime Getting Deleted

Dazik
Go to solution Solved by Beardyname,

Hello,

Having a problem as of today where my Anime is getting deleted by something within MBS. Unfortunately it seems to happen randomly and I can not find it in the logs (quite a few restarts trying to resolve).

In any case this is the scenario:

Movies:

X:\Media\Movies

TV:

X:\Media\TV

Anime:

X:\Media\Anime

All 3 directories are setup separately within MBS, TV and Movies have no issues and nothing has been deleted.

I noticed this today when all my Anime folders appeared without any metadata, went and checked and found the folder structure in place (X:\Media\Anime\NAME\Season 1 and so on) but all data within the folders had been removed. About 15 different titles in total.

My first instinct was to check logs but I could not find anything relevant.

From here I decided to simply remove my "Anime" directory as well as the link in MBS library then recreate it. Once I did that I added the one Anime I really watch anymore (One Piece) and re-downloaded the ~40 or so episodes I had yet to watch. Added it all, let the metadata generate and went out for lunch. Came back to find it had all been deleted again and nothing in the logs. At this point I am stumped so any insight is appreciated.

MBS Version 3.0.5518.3

Plugins: Anime, Auto Box Sets, Genre Cleaner, Roku Thumbnails, Rotten Tomatoes Reviews

I highly suspect the Anime Metadata plugin to be the culprit here as my Movies and TV directories are not effected.

Nothing else has access to this drive except for MBS. Nothing else alters any data.

Thanks in advance!

CashMoney

AFAIK, MB3 and it's plugins will not delete you media unless you specifically click on a delete button; there is no automated deletion of any kind. Did you by chance edit the metadata and hit the delete button in the metadata manager? Some folks previously have presumed this meant deleting the metadata only, but it does infact mean deleting the physical files as well.

You could try disabling deletion from the Dashboard for your users if you've not already. Dashboard - Users - (Pick a user) - Profile. Uncheck the box for Allow Media Deletion.

I have but the fact is that it's just THIS folder that is continuously getting deleted. Not the actual folder structure just any files within.

I actually just formatted and copied over MBS (done this a few times over the past year now) and the same is still occurring.

There is nothing outside of MBS that has access to my media array.

Now with that said, after getting everything settled I decided to give disabling the Anime metadata plugin a try. Went ahead and did that, re-added my folders again, and downloaded a few episodes. From here I did not manually add any metadata, I just let it sit for ~6 hours to see if it would delete. It did not.

After doing this I re-installed the Anime plugin and left everything as was. The plugin generated the metadata and a few hours later when I went to check it, all gone again.

As such I highly believe this is related to the Anime plugin. I am not sure why or how this is happening but it indeed is.

• Like 1

make sure you haven't used this folder for any custom paths in MBS - such as assigned it as your cache folder, transcode temp folder, metadata folder, etc.

It's not a custom path for anything. Just a standard media folder.

Edit:

Been a few hours now without the Anime plugin and nothing has been removed. I will install the plugin again for a double check and report back.

Edit 2:

Within 10 minutes all data within my Anime directory was deleted.

Edited by akensai

i looked at the code of the plugin and i do see it has something to delete xml files, but it appears to be only those files and not entire directories

I managed to fix this by removing ALL PLUGINS and re-installing them. As such I now believe that the issue was related to the Anime plugin and something else combined that was causing the issue.

As per my initial post:

Plugins: Anime, Auto Box Sets, Genre Cleaner, Roku Thumbnails, Rotten Tomatoes Reviews

Out of these only "Roku Thumbnails" is a new addition to the plugins I use.

I am not fully sure what was causing this or for what reason, but it is resolved for now.

Got bored, went back and tested all plugins (and combinations) to narrow this down.

It turns out the issue is caused when Anime Metadata and Auto Box Set's are both installed. Removing either plugin resolves the issue. 

Note that with only one of either of the two are installed there is no issue. This definitely needs to be checked into.

To reproduce:

• Install Anime plugin
  • Install Auto Box Sets
  • Create new anime directory where ever you like (link to library)
  • Create "One Piece" folder in anime directory
  • Create "Season 1" folder there.
  • Allow Metadata to generate
  • Restart Server

No episodes required, the metadata will simply delete (most data within the directory will). This reproduces the issue without deleting any video files (since you have none there).

Edited by akensai

i looked at the code of the plugin and i do see it has something to delete xml files, but it appears to be only those files and not entire directories

It may delete xml files which the plugin internally caches from AniDB. It does not even look at any of the users' files (media or data), let alone deletes them.

Ok, thanks. I didn't look at the code too deeply, just searched for Delete commands. Thanks for clarifying.

Beardyname

Got bored, went back and tested all plugins (and combinations) to narrow this down.

It turns out the issue is caused when Anime Metadata and Auto Box Set's are both installed. Removing either plugin resolves the issue. 

Note that with only one of either of the two are installed there is no issue. This definitely needs to be checked into.

To reproduce:

• Install Anime plugin
  • Install Auto Box Sets
  • Create new anime directory where ever you like (link to library)
  • Create "One Piece" folder in anime directory
  • Create "Season 1" folder there.
  • Allow Metadata to generate
  • Restart Server

No episodes required, the metadata will simply delete (most data within the directory will). This reproduces the issue without deleting any video files (since you have none there).

I can't reproduce this, even tested by putting some video files in. restarted several times etc. can you think of something else that will induce this behavior?

I can't reproduce this, even tested by putting some video files in. restarted several times etc. can you think of something else that will induce this behavior?

This was how I produced the issue and how I resolved it for myself. All settings remain the same as when I had the problem, the only difference is I have removed my "Auto Box Sets" plugin.

Beardyname

This was how I produced the issue and how I resolved it for myself. All settings remain the same as when I had the problem, the only difference is I have removed my "Auto Box Sets" plugin.

that's really interesting, if someone else can test this out and confirm/deny this would be good to see if someone else might be affected!

• 3 weeks later...
dragon2611

Can someone check the coverart plugin, with the option "save metadata and artwork in media folders"

As something just deleted everything in my movies and music folders other than the metadata and the last thing i'd done before noticing the problem was to install that plugin, Now i'm not saying it definitely was that plugin as it's possible it happened a while ago and I'd only just noticed.

CoverArt  doesn't ever delete anything.

The main server doesn't either unless you specifically tell it to.

Well, there is one caveat to that - if you were to do something like point the server cache folder at your media directories, well, then things could get deleted.  So be sure you didn't do that.

dragon2611

Well, there is one caveat to that - if you were to do something like point the server cache folder at your media directories, well, then things could get deleted.  So be sure you didn't do that.

I didn't but something definitely deleted that data, Now I'm sure the server/plugins are not supposed to go around deleting media data but that doesn't mean that it's impossible that it could happen unintentionally and it seems extremly strange that the media files themselves were deleted but the metadata info in the folders was left intact...

Edit:

The transcoding temporary path is e:\media where as movies was e:\media\movies.etc so would that be it?

Edited by dragon2611

• Solution
Beardyname

I didn't but something definitely deleted that data, Now I'm sure the server/plugins are not supposed to go around deleting media data but that doesn't mean that it's impossible that it could happen unintentionally and it seems extremly strange that the media files themselves were deleted but the metadata info in the folders was left intact...

Edit:

The transcoding temporary path is e:\media where as movies was e:\media\movies.etc so would that be it?

yep, or rather it could be. MBS is supposed to try and cleanout the transcoding temp location.

I would suggest you move this temporary folder to one that differs from your actual media folders like E:\transcoding

• Like 1

dragon2611

yep, or rather it could be. MBS is supposed to try and cleanout the transcoding temp location.

I would suggest you move this temporary folder to one that differs from your actual media folders like E:\transcoding

I moved it to E:\TMP\MediaServerTMP\Transcode

I also created E:\TMP\MediaServerTMP\Sync for offline sync jobs

Since the Boot drive on that machine is only a 40GB SSD so would fill up if I let it be used for the transcode temp files.etc

Edit:

Yep, that would be it.  The transcoder will come along and clean out that whole path periodically.

dragon2611

On one hand it's annoying to have had the data deleted, but I'm glad we've gotten to the bottom of the issue and that it was user error.

Didn't actually lose any data as far as I know as I had a backup, but the backup wasn't in the same location as the media server so it will take a while to copy across again.

• 2 weeks later...
MadJeff

I just woke up this morning to the entire contents (4Tb) of my Anime folder gone as well. I've been trying to trace exactly what happened, and just found this thread.

My setup/situation is the same as akensai. Nothing has changed on my system in months other than automatic server/plugin updates.

All media files as stored on a Synology 1813+ NAS. I have the following shares for media:

\Anime

\Movies

\TV Shows

Everything under Anime is gone, except for the Aldnoah.Zero folder and subfolders. In that folder, all metadata and images are still in place, but all video files are gone.

Movies and TV shows are fine. The Anime folder was fine as of 11:00pm last night when I went to bed after watching some non-anime shows out of the TV Shows folder. According to my NAS logs, my storage usage dropped by 4Tb sometime between midnight and 4am.

Like Akensai, I have the following plugins installed:

Plugins: Anime, Auto Box Sets, Genre Cleaner, Roku Thumbnails, Rotten Tomatoes Reviews

Out of these only "Roku Thumbnails" is a new addition to the plugins I use. However, it's been installed since it came out.

I had done some minor metadata editing in the web interface earlier in the day, but mostly updating some episode info. I know for an absolute fact that I did NOT delete anything, nor hit any delete option within MB. I've been using MB since the really early days, and we use it daily, so I know what I'm doing. =) I had also gone into the Anime folder later that evening to check out the metadata updates and all shows were still there and accessible at the time. 

There are no Media Browser program paths pointing to the NAS. The transcoding path is on the C drive of the media server:

C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp

Now, for full disclosure, there are other programs that have access to those media folders. I am running Sonarr on the Synology as well, and I let it do most of the episode handling/metadata downloading. I checked through the logs as it logs everything it does, but no mention of any file deletion is in the logs. It does log when you delete files in it's interface. All incoming show processing is done on other shares and are then copied over to the correct folders.

I'm at a loss. I've been running this setup for a long time and have NEVER seen anything like this happen. I've been running those plugins for a long time as well without any issues. Not sure if there have been updates recently as I have auto-update on. I do know that this was not done by a human, either on purpose or accidentally. I'm pretty sure something programatically removed the files/folders. 

Edited by MadJeff