Subtitles being masked in MBT, when film has a 14:9 aspect ratio

The Baron

The Baron

Hello fellow Media Browser people.

Has anyone experienced an issue when playing a film with a 14:9 aspect ratio in MBT, where the subtitles are not being displayed?

I first noted this with John Wick and subsequently with a couple of other movies.

The issue seems to relate to use of the 'Scaling Mode: Touch Inside' with either EVR or EVR+ active.

Basically, the subtitles will in fact be shown, however they will be shown below the image where the black bars are. It's like they're being masked by the bars.

If you change the Scaling Mode: Touch Outside, so the image is expanded until the image hits the top/bottom of the screen, you can see the subtitle text.

So, firstly, this is not a subtitle compatibility issue, as you can get see the subtitles, just not when Touch Inside enabled. In fact, on occasion you will see a tiny bit of text peeking above the black.

By the way, I like to use Touch Inside so you don't loose any portion of the image.

Current Workaround:

I've found that you can have the subtitle text be shown (when using Touch Inside), if you change from EVR to EVR+ or vice virsa when ever the text is not visible and then restart the film.

MBS: 3.0.5490.2

MBT: 3.0.5502.28903

Edited by The Baron
  • Like 1

yardameus

I did seem to have an issue with this with Big Hero 6, but than I found some subtitles that worked around this.  I had other films the same aspect ratio and they were fine with subtitles.  

The Baron

Just to clarify, I used '14:9' as a guide to the type of aspect ratio that was experiencing the issue. Another movie that I have seen the issue with is Kill Bill Vol 2.

I actually checked out a different version of John Wick also, the issue was the same, so I was able to rule out that the problem was due to one particular version of one particular movie.

The Baron

Alright, seems to be resolved. I uninstalled MBT and the LAV Filters and did a clean install of MBT. That seemed to fix the issue. Obviously, there was a bit of conflict between some historical artifacts and the current LAV or MBt that were installed.

• Like 1