old MB user going to upgrade

fschris

I have been a long time MB user.  I am running the original MB on a windows 7 machine.  It is rock solid and I use MB to open MPC-HC for about 95% of the movies I watch as they are MKV files.

Im looking to upgrade to the new MB....With the new MB Server and APPs ... Will I still be using MB to launch MPC-HC to watch the MKV files or does the new media player within the new MB play MKVs and pass through DTS Tru HD to the reciver.

Edited by fschris

Cheesegeezer

I have been a long time MB user.  I am running the original MB on a windows 7 machine.  It is rock solid and I use MB to open MPC-HC for about 95% of the movies I watch as they are MKV files.

Im looking to upgrade to the new MB....With the new MB Server and APPs ... Will I still be using MB to launch MPC-HC to watch the MKV files or does the new media player within the new MB play MKVs and pass through DTS Tru HD to the reciver.

Hi there,

You can still set up your external players thru the MBC Configurator as you used to.  MPC is still supported.

The new player adds extra functions such as skip fwd and skip back and allows for chapter selection during movie play.  It doesn't add any codecs or functions that you would get from LAV Filters/MPC Standalone Filters or FFDShow so you would still require them to add your DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD as a bitstream to your AV Receiver.

So essentially nothing would change for you.

You don't have to use MPC-HC for that even with the old MB 2.x.  Just install LAV splitter and audio and video and your MKVs should play fine right in the WMC internal player.

The same will be the case for MB Classic (the WMC client for MB now that will look and feel just like MB 2.x for the most part).

For MBT (which is still under heavy development) you don't need anything extra as it manages its own playback codecs.

All the other apps will most likely use the facilities of the server to deliver the content in a format appropriate for the device in use.

Okay, I became a lifetime supporter for one thing!

2)  Where is the "external players" in MBC Configurator ? I knew where it was in the old configurator but this is way more advanced!  I have clicked though a lot of the options but I cannot find it.....

Pretty much in the exact same place it was with 2.x.

My guess is you are poking around in the server configuration and not MBC...  To setup external players you need to run the MBC Configurator (separate program) just like the old days.  That is one of the few functions that still requires that.