Should I run MBT or the MB Windows app on my local machines

HTPC23

I have Media Browser Server running on my HTPC.  I am currently just using MBT (which is great btw) on my other windows devices (desktop, laptop, etc.) to access the server.  Just curious if I should be running the Media Browser app from the Windows store instead?  What are the advantage/disadvantages of one over the other?

Thanks

saitoh183

correct me if I'm wrong.. I think windows store app to will render to play anything. and MBT will stream directly from the server.

Windows 8.1 app can direct play as well

Deathsquirrel

I get some stuttering video in the win 8 app.  I also find the remote control navigation in MBT superior.  For video I recommend MBT.

AdrianW

If your version of Windows includes Media Center then I'd suggest at least trying MBC (Media Browser Classic).

pr3dict

If your version of Windows includes Media Center then I'd suggest at least trying MBC (Media Browser Classic).

Why is that? I thought MBT Was the official client of MB

AdrianW

Why is that? I thought MBT Was the official client of MB

It's UI and UX are far superior to the current version of MBT. Like auto-selecting the first unplayed episode, quick paging through long lists, high use of fanart, multiple themes available (although the included Chocolate is my preference).

Yea I used to use MBC but run Window 8.1 now so no WMC.  Curious if its coming back from Windows 10; haven't heard anything about it.

I like MBT though, I think its great other than a couple of issue I have with a few movies not playing that I detailed in another thread.  Of course I know is still technically in alpha/beta so I expect those kinds of things.

• 2 weeks later...
HTPC23

Saitoh183 or anyone else for that matter...

How do you get direct play to work in MB Windows 8.1 app.  I checked the preferences and didn't see any options and every movie I try and play it says in the top right corning that it is transcoding.

Koleckai Silvestri

Store App - Designed for touch devices.

Theater - Designed for 10' experience with a remote. 

Which you use depends on what you're trying to gain.

• Like 1