What are the first steps in building up Media Browser 3 on Samsung TV?

philipdhm

philipdhm

Not succeeding very well here. I have loaded up the app on the tv, and I can see three options in media folders, movies, music, and photos. The movies folder contains maybe 8 movies despite I having an external harddrive attached with many more.

If I press Tools I get a list of options on the left hand side under Media Browser with Test as profile name.

They are Home, Favourites, Media Folders, Movies, Music, Search, Settings, Contributors, Logout.

I have tried and failed to work out how to add things like Dashboard hub or find the option to add plugins so hoping someone can put me in the right direction. Can I do these things from within the Samsung app or do I need to use my tvs web browser to do this? Though I have my harddrive I would love to be able to stream additional movie or tv shows in a fashion similar to kodi but not sure if its possible on my samsung (from 2013 I believe) but I'm not been able to add anything yet. 

Thanks for any help...

philipdhm

Hi, thank you for reply. The answer is no! I fell at the first hurdle ;) Maybe more in hope than expectation that it was a stand alone application all I have actually done is install the samsung app on my samsung tv. Have tried now to add the server to the tv which cannot download file. Is there any method of adding the media browser server to the tv itself or to an attached external harddrive or is it necessary to have the tv connected to an always on computer for this to work?

Yours technically very challenged!

The server must be installed on a computer. There are various versions gor various OS and NAS versions are in development but the server is required in order to use the app. You cant install the server on the tv unfortunately.

• Like 1

philipdhm

Ah no bother, it was probably clear to most from the outset but thanks for clarifying this for me! I'll just have to see how I can work with it and an old laptop perhaps then cos it stills seems pretty cool.

c0m3r

There are a few ways to do it relatively cheaply. An old computer such as a laptop like you mention or for a more permanent solution, I use a HP microserver. Only cost £130 and stuck my hard drives in there and now functions as my media server. They are small, cheap to run and easy to manage. As I mentioned in my last post, there is a version of the server being developed for synology NAS as well and these can also be picked up cheap.