Create bif file manually

jrhessey

jrhessey

I tried using the command I'm seeing in the logs, but I'm not having any luck.

Here is the command I am trying

C:\Users\jrhessey\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20150110\ffmpeg.exe -i file:"\\DISKSTATION\video\Kelby TV\The Lightroom Show\lrshow_01_hd.mkv" -threads 1 -v quiet -vf "fps=fps=1/10,scale=min(iw\,320):trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -f image2 "C:\Users\jrhessey\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\temp\48a172402cd94bd490416b1e22ba3aba\img_%05d.jpg"

I would like to kick it off manually because I'm trying to do some testing to get the correct settings for direct play for all my movies.

Would you just recommend kicking off the scheduled task instead?  Thanks!

ginjaninja

I cant advise on the command, but i dont think much (any) testing is required to get the correct settings, once you understand the settings  (which i think i do now) and when bifs work.

Create thumbnails in:

If any of  your rokus are attached to an SDTV (<720p i think) then you need SDTV Bifs (240 Px) as these are what are supported on SDTVs, otherwise leave on HDTV (320 px)

It wont brake anything to have 320 and 240 but it will use up more space and take more time/resources to create..

Save Thumbnails File in Media Folders

Personal preference - if unticked they are stored in your metadata folder

Create Thumbnails when videos are discovered

Create the BIFs for media files using the settings above and for files meeting criteria below as soon as the content is ingested. Useful if your task is taking an age to complete...at least new content will have the BIFs whilst waiting for task to complete)

The next two options are identifying the best capability of your most capable connected roku/setup.

This is because

1. BIFs only show during direct play

2, There is no point creating BIFs for files which your roku will never direct play

Max streaming bitrate:

eg. 10MBPS means create BIFs for files <=10MBPS....no point creating them for 11MBS because these files wont direct play (because you have told the roku/mb3 to transcode them either because the roku limits the capability or more likely the network bandwidth limits the workable bit rate)

Audio output mode:

eg Stereo...means create BIFs for all files with stereo mp3/pcm/aac (whatever the roku supports) or lower audio tracks (which your roku can direct play)

No point creating bifs for media with hd digital audio streams (greater than the stereo setting) as you dont have any rokus connected to a receiver that can decode this, so they wont direct play in any case.

If you have 1 roku which only supports stereo and 1 roku which is in a receiver and supports dts..

then the highest capability is DTS, so you would set option to DTS.

This tells MB3 to create BIFs for all content with DTS or less audio tracks..

which is right because when you play DTS on the DTS capable roku, you will get BIFs because they have been created.

When you play DTS on a non DTS capable roku, you wont get to use those BIFs as the content wont directly play (but you still need the bifs becuase your other roku is capable)

the other gotcha is you need to running the beta roku client and the dev server.

Edited by ginjaninja

jrhessey

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on the testing part.  Most of my videos are transcoded.  I'm trying to figure out the correct settings in handbrake so I can convert them to direct play and take advantage of the thumbnail seeking.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for taking to time to describe each option to me.  I have noticed I couldn't get the bif files to work if I saved them in the media folder.  I noticed that was mentioned as a bug in the main post, does anyone know if it has been fixed?  They work great in the metadata folder.

ginjaninja

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on the testing part.  Most of my videos are transcoded.  I'm trying to figure out the correct settings in handbrake so I can convert them to direct play and take advantage of the thumbnail seeking.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for taking to time to describe each option to me.  I have noticed I couldn't get the bif files to work if I saved them in the media folder.  I noticed that was mentioned as a bug in the main post, does anyone know if it has been fixed?  They work great in the metadata folder.

you mean a utility to create a roku direct play compatable track.

duddahh!

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18713-batch-create-2-channel-aac-for-mkvs-for-roku-direct-play/

im not sure that handbrake will copy the video stream (which almost certainly is already direct play compatable if mkv or mp4)..so it will take too long and be lossy..

but if it could, then the correct settings for audio ....

if you cant direct play greater than stereo, would be downmix the audio ...faac, stereo..... 160kbps, samplerate auto (personal preference) and optionally keep the dts track with dts pass through for your more capable devices...

im not sure about subtitles wether they affect direct playability or not...

ps if press ok button on roku (or down button) during playback..it confirms whether the file is direct playing or is being transcoded...

Edited by ginjaninja