Turn off external access

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

MediaBrowser server version: 3.0.5518.7 

I'm trying to turn off external access temporarily until I get a new hdd to replace my slow external one.

I've turned off the port in my router and disabled automatic port mapping. Am I missing something? I've restarted my MB server and it's still accessible externally.

A tied Feature Request would be to have a one-click option to disable external access instead of disabling multiple options. Thanks! :)

Edited by Angelblue05

Deathsquirrel

If the port is actually blocked on your router you couldn't access it from outside the network.  Look there ;)

Angelblue05

Well as I said, the port was disabled in the router. Can't technically block the port in my router? It's just strange, I can't figure this out. I'll try to restart the computer again, to see if anything changes. At this point, I'm thinking the automatic port mapping is the issue? I will post back if I figure something out.

Anyway, as a temporary solution, I've disabled every users. It was very tedious, please consider the feature request! :)

pir8radio

how are you testing "External access"?   what are you using a phone or something? domain name? or IP to reach the server?

Angelblue05

I have tried with my external IP and domain name. What mostly gave it away is remote people still being able to play stuff from my server when I disabled everything, hah  :lol:

Edited by Angelblue05

Beardyname

try disabling upnp in the router and give it a restart as well, removing the port forward should definitely block incoming connections.

(although trying the external address from inside the local network is not a good test since that one might resolve as well, depending on how clever your router is)

Try testing with something like canyouseeme.org, or better yet have your remote users try and access stuff :D

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Thanks Beardy.

I will try to disable the UPNP in my router and restart it again. I have removed the port forward 8096 already. I have not tried connecting externally from within my network. As I said, I thought I did this correctly, but users outside my network were still able to connect and play content. I will post back with the results. 

Edited by Angelblue05

That or maybe try creating a manual forward on your router to a bogus address such as 192.168.1.252 or something not used.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok, both solutions work. I disabled UPnP in my router and I was no longer able to access the server externally. I wonder why disabling UPnP in the server dashboard didn't work...

@@cayars +1 for your creative solution. I ended doing it your way, since it's only a temporary need to disable access to port 8096.

Thanks everyone! :)

Beardyname

Ok, both solutions work. I disabled UPnP in my router and I was no longer able to access the server externally. I wonder why disabling UPnP in the server dashboard didn't work...

@@cayars +1 for your creative solution. I ended doing it your way, since it's only a temporary need to disable access to port 8096.

Thanks everyone! :)

that's your router's way of trying to be smart ^^ disabling upnp in MBS should only stop it from trying to pry the connections open, but it might already be open so turning it off does nothing, Would be interesting if (when you add external access again) keep MBS upnp off, and router upnp on and give everything a restart, and see if the router is still trying to be clever :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
twos50

Im not so sure.

When I disable the Upnp from the router (with rebooting) and from the dashboard settings I am still able to connect using MB Connect.  If I try to connect using the direct internet(not local) ip,  i cannot connect.  This doesn't seem like a router trying to be smart, It seems like MB outsmarting a router and connecting no matter what.  Does anyone know if u disable all users MB connect will continue to connect???  I wonder how to test that. If so it seems like a privacy issue.

just remove the association from your MBS user to your connect user account and then it will not work anymore.

twos50

Yes that will work for users.  But I can't  help but be concerned with how MB Connect connects to my server even if I was to change it's local I.P. address, stop port forwarding, and uncheck advanced forwarding in the settings.  I guess there is something in MB Connect that bypasses all those security measures.  It makes me wonder if I remove all users and the server from MB Connect, is it still connected.

your router is stll allowing it through if that's the case, despite whatever settings you think might be set. that's really the only explanation. there's no other magic going on.

Angelblue05

If you have upnp enabled on your router, then that's most likely the reason why you are still able to access externally. At least, that was the case for me.