Path Substitution or UNC Paths

greenhouse
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

greenhouse

I've had the old MediaBrowser for years and it has worked fine until recently, it no longer downloads cover art for my movies.  Because of that I've been playing around with the new MediaBrowser Server and things are not going well.  I find it very confusing and it's crashing on me quite a bit.  One problem I'm having is MB classic doesn't allow me to skip while playing MKV files.   I have a feeling my problems are stemming from not having MediaBrowser Server set up correctly.  I have MBServer setup on a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2; it is named 'HTPCServer' and the movies are on drive D and it is shared and can be seen by my laptop when mapped.   I have MB Classic on my wireless laptop named 'mylaptop'.  Should I use path substitution or UNC paths?   I would like to use path substitution because UNC paths are too confusing.  I followed the guide for UNC paths and it did nothing for me; I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if there is another problem.

For path substitution what should I type for from and to?  From   D:\   To   \\HTPCServer   ?

For UNC is the location HTPCServer or mylaptop?  is object your username?

• Solution

You can use either but you definitely don't want to use mapped drives at all.  That is 1980's technology for network access and can be very problematic.

So, if the drives are actually local to your server then you can use drive letters in the media location if you want but you will still have to properly create the shares and then provide those with Path Substitution.

Read up on creating network shares.  Basically what you have is \\MachineName\ShareName in a UNC path.  

• Like 1

greenhouse

ok. I'll try the UNC tutorial again.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but maybe I skipped a step.

• 1 month later...
greenhouse

I have nearly everything working okay now.  I followed the UNC tutorial and it's not crashing on me &  I'm now able to skip around movies properly.   Working great except now I'm having problems with my movies not updating properly.  I posted the issue on another post.  Thanks for your help.